PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 Ford?

yardworks, inc.
07-02-2010, 10:13 PM
What year models of the 6.0 have fewer problems than the rest?

unkownfl
07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
06-07 a late 05 is ok too. Get an OASIS report from the dealer on whatever you buy...

yardworks, inc.
07-02-2010, 10:28 PM
On the later models is there stilll anything I need look for or try to prevent? I am looking at a couple different trucks with 90,000 to 110,000 miles. Is there any particular problems that seem to happen around this mileage?

castlerockmo
07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
This is funny, just today I was driving my 05 DRW crew cab and smelt diesel so I stoped and looked in the bed to see if any fuel was pouring out of a can....nothing, so I look under the hood and see there is fluid coming from my coolant resi, I give it the ole sniff and its diesel. So I call ford they said its a cracked going to cost somewhere between 4500-6000 to fix. Well I only owe 16600 on the beast with 140,000 miles. Well I also think the egr is bad again and I may have a bad turbo, so needleSs to say I spent the day truck shopping! It sucked I really like my truck and liked the power and fuel milage of the 6.0 but dang that engine is a problem. Sorry to rant
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
07-02-2010, 11:53 PM
This is funny, just today I was driving my 05 DRW crew cab and smelt diesel so I stoped and looked in the bed to see if any fuel was pouring out of a can....nothing, so I look under the hood and see there is fluid coming from my coolant resi, I give it the ole sniff and its diesel. So I call ford they said its a cracked going to cost somewhere between 4500-6000 to fix. Well I only owe 16600 on the beast with 140,000 miles. Well I also think the egr is bad again and I may have a bad turbo, so needleSs to say I spent the day truck shopping! It sucked I really like my truck and liked the power and fuel milage of the 6.0 but dang that engine is a problem. Sorry to rant
Posted via Mobile Device

How does diesel get in the coolant system? Only time I had seen any issues you're describing is oil in the coolant from a bad oil cooler. I find it hard to believe that diesel is getting into your coolant. Are you just some Cummins guy spreading rumors?

unkownfl
07-02-2010, 11:56 PM
On the later models is there stilll anything I need look for or try to prevent? I am looking at a couple different trucks with 90,000 to 110,000 miles. Is there any particular problems that seem to happen around this mileage?

Get an Oasis report and see if any hard parts were replace if so run away... I had a 06 6.0 although I didn't have any issues I would suggest staying away from diesel unless you really really really need one or you have a lot of money. They're far better trucks then what a lot of people make them out to be and every brand has there issues right now with their diesels.

castlerockmo
07-03-2010, 12:18 AM
No I am a die hard ford fan! The dealership said it was a cracked head. I don't know but it defiantly diesel and defiantly the coolanst system! I love that truck! Oh and screw cummins and the duramax! Haha I was look at 10 and 11 fords today.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM
No I am a die hard ford fan! The dealership said it was a cracked head. I don't know but it defiantly diesel and defiantly the coolanst system! I love that truck! Oh and screw cummins and the duramax! Haha I was look at 10 and 11 fords today.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really don't see how fuel could get into the coolant system. I have never heard of a cracked head on a truck in a long time. I traded mine in for a 2010 f150. With Z plan and 6000 grand in rebates I couldn't sit around and wait for the ticking time bomb 6.0. It was good to me and to other around me but I know sooner or later it was going to be a money pit.

ajslands
07-03-2010, 12:50 AM
I really don't see how fuel could get into the coolant system. I have never heard of a cracked head on a truck in a long time. I traded mine in for a 2010 f150. With Z plan and 6000 grand in rebates I couldn't sit around and wait for the ticking time bomb 6.0. It was good to me and to other around me but I know sooner or later it was going to be a money pit.

I have the o4 ford (one with all the problems. And I've only had one problem with it and that was the alternator at about 100,000 miles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Economical_Landscaping
07-03-2010, 02:50 AM
As far as i know through some detailed research and previous owners. The 05 is the worst of them all.

bobcat_ron
07-04-2010, 11:20 AM
My F450 is a late 2005, no problems, y brother's is a 2008, and the tranny is got nothing but issues, so he's buying a used Dodge 3500 club cab with a manual tranny, this is truck #14 since 1998. All have been Fords except a new Dodge in 2008 he had for 2 days and an older Ram he owned for 2 years.
It all depends on how you treat the engine and if you have modified the engine, some people have told me engines have a long break in and if you chip the hell out of them, they will "pop" faster and break down.

Gravel Rat
07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Sounds like your brother should buy a bicycle or bus passes, so he buys a Dodge with a 5spd and the fifth gear falls off and locks up the transmission.

Yater
07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
How does diesel get in the coolant system? Only time I had seen any issues you're describing is oil in the coolant from a bad oil cooler. I find it hard to believe that diesel is getting into your coolant. Are you just some Cummins guy spreading rumors?

Mixing of coolant and fuel/engine oil is always a symptom of head gasket/head failure. I'm surprised you don't know this.

unkownfl
07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Mixing of coolant and fuel/engine oil is always a symptom of head gasket/head failure. I'm surprised you don't know this.

He never mentioned fuel getting into the crankcase only into the cooling system... Its odd to me that fuel would only be entering the coolant system and I still can't figure out how this is happening... Unless there is a fuel cooler but I don't think the 6.0 has one. Normally some gas vehicles have this to prevent early combustion. A diesel doesn't have to worry about this as long as the injection timing is correct. Maybe some new age diesels may have a different style injection system but I don't believe a 6.0 does... In some diesel (early) you could get raw fuel into the crank case if the pre-chamber was ruptured.

ZTR_Diesel
07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
He never mentioned fuel getting into the crankcase only into the cooling system... Its odd to me that fuel would only be entering the coolant system and I still can't figure out how this is happening... Unless there is a fuel cooler but I don't think the 6.0 has one. Normally some gas vehicles have this to prevent early combustion. A diesel doesn't have to worry about this as long as the injection timing is correct. Maybe some new age diesels may have a different style injection system but I don't believe a 6.0 does... In some diesel (early) you could get raw fuel into the crank case if the pre-chamber was ruptured.

The 6.0's use Siemens G2 injectors with a common (oil) rail that utilizes engine oil to pressurize the fuel; quite similar in design and concept to the Cat-huei based injector system utilized in the 7.3L engines. True high pressure common rail fuel system was not used until the 6.4L engine. It is common with failure in injectors to obtain fuel into the crankcase with the G2 or Huei design.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ford%206.0%20injector%20cutaway/woodnthings8/Injectorcutawaylabeled.jpg

As for fuel in the coolant; never seen it, but I suppose it's possible in a really unusual case.

bobcat_ron
07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt346/woodnthings8/Injectorcutawaylabeled.jpg

unkownfl
07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt346/woodnthings8/Injectorcutawaylabeled.jpg

Thats a 6.0 Head? It looks like its missing some valves for it to be a 4v. I understand its cut right down the center of the combustion chamber but where is the intake side? How would the cylinder head being cracked allow raw fuel to go straight into the coolant and over flow without having coolant in the crankcase?

ZTR_Diesel
07-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Here are a couple more views:

http://www.turbotraining.com/truck/6lpsd.htm

castlerockmo
07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
What do you guys think about a cracked injecter cup allowing fuel to get into the coolant? Talked to an international mechanic who said that he has seen them come in with fuel in the coolant and said he has seen it be a cracked head but more times than not it was a cracked injecter cup.

I'm trying to see if I should just fix it or get a 6.4 and be done with it
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
What do you guys think about a cracked injecter cup allowing fuel to get into the coolant? Talked to an international mechanic who said that he has seen them come in with fuel in the coolant and said he has seen it be a cracked head but more times than not it was a cracked injecter cup.

I'm trying to see if I should just fix it or get a 6.4 and be done with it
Posted via Mobile Device

Its looks as if the injector cap was cracked it would let coolant into the combustion chamber too and cause some smoke I would assume. I'm not a mechanic by any means. Just have an idea of how engine works but I don't do it professionally.