PDA

View Full Version : High production aerator suggestions?

hackitdown
07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I need advice. I am hoping to expand a little this fall by pushing aeration with some heavy advertising. I want to be ready with the right equipment. For the past 7 or 8 years I have been making do by renting a Bluebird, and I also own a low end tow-behind aerator that I pull with a ZTR. I'm done with renting, and the tow behind is about ruined.

The properties around here tend to be hilly, and there are often rocks just below the surface. Pretty rough on the aerator tines. I have been doing about 4 or 5 per day max working solo. So I am trying to find a machine that can allow me to knock out 8 or 10 per day, without killing myself (I'm 47).

Some of the options I have seen:

-The LT Rich Z Plug (the spreader option is interesting)
-The Ride-on Aerator by Lawn Solutions
-Turfco TurnAer with the sulky.
-Classen Stand Aer

Can anyone give me any advice? Anyone have any experience with these machines?

topsites
07-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Come on man...

You've used both...

You don't see anything different between a tow and a walk behind?
You can look me straight in the face and claim they both do as good a job?

Now a ride-on unit, like a Walker mower, that might be interesting, never knew they made those.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-04-2010, 08:58 AM
If your only looking to do 8-10 per day. Take a look at our Hydro WB. It drives more like a mower than an aerator.

There is a video on our website.

There is a great dealer in Sudbury, MA who has all of our producst in stock.

The Ride-on will do 20-30 lawns a day.

David

hackitdown
07-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Come on man...

You've used both...

You don't see anything different between a tow and a walk behind?
You can look me straight in the face and claim they both do as good a job?

Now a ride-on unit, like a Walker mower, that might be interesting, never knew they made those.

Thanks for the input?

I am asking about ride-on units. The four that I am asking about are ride on. I was wondering if anyone has actually used any of them.

hackitdown
07-04-2010, 09:46 AM
If your only looking to do 8-10 per day. Take a look at our Hydro WB. It drives more like a mower than an aerator.

David

Hi David. Thanks for the response. Most lawns here are from 15 to 35k sq/ft. A solo guy can cut 1 lawn per hour on average, so 20 to 30 with an aerator would be a challenge.

The videos of your aerators are impressive. I'll check out the products at the dealer.

TennisBum
07-04-2010, 11:31 AM

David

I'd much rather do 8-10/day with your ride-on than with your walk-behind.

Exact Rototilling
07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Rocky soil I love using my Lawn Solutions WB 2010 edition. ...hilly terrian steep slopes side hills grassy swells traversed I prefer my plugr 850 hydro. But rocky soil is really tough on the plugr. Both units are well suited for smaller lawns. I do better $ per min on small lawns - bigger national companies here have messed up the pricing on estate lawns so I try avoid that market... better off mowing small lawns for time spent.

Tough call for lawns that size...really depends on how hilly? Post some pics of the worst lawn inclines.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
07-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I need advice. I am hoping to expand a little this fall by pushing aeration with some heavy advertising. I want to be ready with the right equipment. For the past 7 or 8 years I have been making do by renting a Bluebird, and I also own a low end tow-behind aerator that I pull with a ZTR. I'm done with renting, and the tow behind is about ruined.

The properties around here tend to be hilly, and there are often rocks just below the surface. Pretty rough on the aerator tines. I have been doing about 4 or 5 per day max working solo. So I am trying to find a machine that can allow me to knock out 8 or 10 per day, without killing myself (I'm 47).

Some of the options I have seen:

-The LT Rich Z Plug (the spreader option is interesting) 80K/hr price? width?
-The Ride-on Aerator by Lawn Solutions 87K/hr $8.5K 28"
-Turfco TurnAer with the sulky. TurnAer 6 43K/hr $4K includes sulky in price 24"
-Classen Stand Aer 50K/hr $6500ish? 24"

Can anyone give me any advice? Anyone have any experience with these machines?

I have been contemplating the same thing as I see some good margins in aerating. Above is specs that I'm considering. I think the ideal set up is the LS walkbehind (21 width for $3250) and the LS ride on. I can't justify the price for the hope of expansion.

Options I have considered. Either Turfco or LS units. The LT Rich product is getting a makeover I hear so until that happens it's not worth looking at and the Classen there is better options than it.

Option A. Could go with the LS w/B but I can't imagine doing my mid size properties with a 21" swath. For the mid size and larger I still would use my tow behind and the LS w/b for trimming the property. Pro's would be minimal investment and using the tow behind I already own. Also set's up for buying the ride one if expansion of this service goes well. Con's is the tow behind wouldn't get good plugs. Might end up using the LS W/B more often to get good plugs but lose productivity. The other con is the ZTR would be tied up for either aerator or mowing not both. I'm solo now but the expansion is also what I'm hoping to use to justify another worker so the mower tied up isn't good.

Option B. Buy a TurnAer 6 and use it for most everything. Pro's would be a justifiable price tag and productive. I don't have fenced yards now but it will fit a 36" gate so if I run into that it should fit. I can always rent a smaller unit if need be. The TurnAer 6 should do fine on a smaller and mid size lawns with good plugs. If need be I can pull out the tow behind but I don't think it would be much more productive though. The Con to this is that it doesn't help get to the ideal set up. Meaning if business picks up you either choose the LS Ride on or the LS w/b based off of the type of lawns you pick up. Then eventually replace the TurnAer with the one you don't have.

I'm still debating in my head on this and so any input/options I don't see would help out also.

djagusch
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Any input guys

lawn king
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I strongly recommend the lawn solutions WB. I have no problem banging out 10-12 per day with ease and im 48. I have the very first prototype and love it, and its now my understanding the new models are even better!

Exact Rototilling
07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Any input guys

What are the going rates for aeration in your area? How many have you done with a rental machine?

turfcobob
07-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Any input guys

For those size lawns I would use either the TurnAer 4 or TurnAer 6. The TA6 will give you a little more sq ft per hour than the 4 but it will hug hills like a goat and give you a nice ride to boot. Trim the lawn attach the Chariot with one pin and ride the rest of the lawn. Tighter areas you can just use it as a walk behind. When I get below 10,000 sq ft I like the TA 4 simply for the easier faster turning. But it will still pull the Chariot and lots of guys use it on mid size lawns. See a video at Turfco.com or call 800-679-8201

americanlawn
07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
On large properties, my guys used to prefer our Ryan (pull-behind/with hydraulic lift) aerators. 48" total width & 36" actual aeration. We pull them behind 22 hsp John Deere garden tractors and use Lawn Solutions & TURFCO walk behinds for the small areas & trimming. Problem with pulling a heavy aerator is damaging turf - especially going uphill on soft soil/wet turf cuz the tractor tires can spin & rip turf.

Since we added the "chariot" (sulky) to our TURFCO aerators, my guys like them very much. They pull great plugs without turf damage, and they are FAST! Plus, you can trim with them (sometimes we hop off the chariot...sometimes not needed).

IMO if you buy a Turnaire, get the chariot too. You'll thank me for it, cuz they're fun to ride, and they do a safe/efficient job that customers like to see. BTW we have never needed to replace any parts on our Turnaer aerators >>>> this may be a purchasing factor.

Still thinking of getting a Lawn Solutions ride-on cuz it's a sweet product. But it's twice the cost of a TURFCO w/chariot. We'll see. Not sure yet.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Larry,

We are finally introducing our new 24" Dual Hydro WB Aerator w/ Sulky next week. It has all the features you told me you wanted and at the price you asked for. We are going to start shipping Sept 1st and will be at all the regional turf shows this summer. I really appreciate the input from you LawnSite guys...you keep making our products better!

It basically has all the same features as our ride-on, same drive setup, aeratoring setup, tines, just 24" wide and 1/2 the weight, and 1/2 the price tag.

We are having our last pilot build this week and will have pictures and videos early next week.

Specs:

-24" Aerating Width
-35.5" Total Width
-Dual (independent) Hydrostatic Drive
-425 lbs total weight
-Operates just like a commerical mower
-6 mph ground speed
-Fold up sulky, no need to remove it.
-Plugs upto 4" deep (adjustable depth)
-Raise and lower the tines on the fly while aerating.
-The hitch mountw will be coming soon!

This thing is freak'n SWEET!!!

They should be priced at $4,000 Still negotiating pricing with some key suppiers.

This unit fills our line with every size and level of performance aerator you could ask for LCOs.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
To be clear...

This new unit is no where near the performance of our ride-on which pulls 2" plugs out of tree root or anything it come across. You actually have to limit the depth of plug on our ride-on they are so powerful. It is truly in a class of it's own with the ability to pull cores 5" deep and with the tightest spacing of any rolling style aerator. It pulls longer plugs than cam drive golf course aerators in hard ground.

RIDE-ON VIDEO (http://www.lawnsolutionscp.com/video/Rideon16.wmv)

Our new WB took the handling characteristics and put them in a less expensive WB platform w/ a folding sulky.

RABBITMAN11
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
For those size lawns I would use either the TurnAer 4 or TurnAer 6. The TA6 will give you a little more sq ft per hour than the 4 but it will hug hills like a goat and give you a nice ride to boot. Trim the lawn attach the Chariot with one pin and ride the rest of the lawn. Tighter areas you can just use it as a walk behind. When I get below 10,000 sq ft I like the TA 4 simply for the easier faster turning. But it will still pull the Chariot and lots of guys use it on mid size lawns. See a video at Turfco.com or call 800-679-8201

You don't want these type of aerators! This type of aerators are obsolete. The lawn solutions smoke these machines in every way shape and form! The lawn solutions will run circles around the turfcos or any other aerator! I've used almost every aerator there is!

RABBITMAN11
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
On large properties, my guys used to prefer our Ryan (pull-behind/with hydraulic lift) aerators. 48" total width & 36" actual aeration. We pull them behind 22 hsp John Deere garden tractors and use Lawn Solutions & TURFCO walk behinds for the small areas & trimming. Problem with pulling a heavy aerator is damaging turf - especially going uphill on soft soil/wet turf cuz the tractor tires can spin & rip turf.

Since we added the "chariot" (sulky) to our TURFCO aerators, my guys like them very much. They pull great plugs without turf damage, and they are FAST! Plus, you can trim with them (sometimes we hop off the chariot...sometimes not needed).

IMO if you buy a Turnaire, get the chariot too. You'll thank me for it, cuz they're fun to ride, and they do a safe/efficient job that customers like to see. BTW we have never needed to replace any parts on our Turnaer aerators >>>> this may be a purchasing factor.

Still thinking of getting a Lawn Solutions ride-on cuz it's a sweet product. But it's twice the cost of a TURFCO w/chariot. We'll see. Not sure yet.

Worth every cent!

Snapper12
07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Alright guys, since I am just WAYYY to busy to get to all these trade shows and visit dealers I have no way of EVER testing any of these units out. I will post pictures of some property I have to aerate. Then please tell me what unit I am going to buy this season. Pictures to follow.

Snapper12
07-07-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSolutionsCP - Your video of the ride on is awesome, but that place does not look at all like my properties.

djagusch
07-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Larry,

We are finally introducing our new 24" Dual Hydro WB Aerator w/ Sulky next week. It has all the features you told me you wanted and at the price you asked for. We are going to start shipping Sept 1st and will be at all the regional turf shows this summer. I really appreciate the input from you LawnSite guys...you keep making our products better!

It basically has all the same features as our ride-on, same drive setup, aeratoring setup, tines, just 24" wide and 1/2 the weight, and 1/2 the price tag.

We are having our last pilot build this week and will have pictures and videos early next week.

Specs:

-24" Aerating Width
-35.5" Total Width
-Dual (independent) Hydrostatic Drive
-425 lbs total weight
-Operates just like a commerical mower
-6 mph ground speed
-Fold up sulky, no need to remove it.
-Plugs upto 4" deep (adjustable depth)
-Raise and lower the tines on the fly while aerating.
-The hitch mountw will be coming soon!

This thing is freak'n SWEET!!!

They should be priced at $4,000 Still negotiating pricing with some key suppiers.

This unit fills our line with every size and level of performance aerator you could ask for LCOs.

This seems like the winner for me.

Key questions though:
Same kind of control levers as the ride on?
Sulky with wheels (not a proslide please)?
How do the tines raise? Hydro pwr?
What engine? Wheel mtr/pump set up?

I talked to the guy on the main line today and asked for a quote (for your reg w/b) to be emailed to me but didn't receive it. He has my number if he had problems, what's the deal on not getting one, just that busy?

roccon31
07-07-2010, 11:16 PM
ditto! pm sent

djagusch
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
What are the going rates for aeration in your area? How many have you done with a rental machine?

I currently use 60" pull behind and a ryan lawnaire IV. Mainly on my full service contracts (HOA, commercial stuff). It ranges from 20K to 200K of lawns at the accounts. I would say most is 20K to 40K typically pretty flat commercial around 15 places. I have 120K flat HOA, 200K rolling hill HOA, 80K tighter HOA, and 48K of really tight HOA.

HOA=home owner associations aka townhomes.

I looking for this to be more efficient as it takes some time to do these (some are new to me so it's going to be a bigger task compared to last year). I also want to market the service as many in the area don't offer or push the service. These I hope to turn into fert/spray customers also.

So I don't have much with the proper equipment but I hope the segment grows for me.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
This seems like the winner for me.

Key questions though:
Same kind of control levers as the ride on?
Sulky with wheels (not a proslide please)?
How do the tines raise? Hydro pwr?
What engine? Wheel mtr/pump set up?

I talked to the guy on the main line today and asked for a quote (for your reg w/b) to be emailed to me but didn't receive it. He has my number if he had problems, what's the deal on not getting one, just that busy?

Why couldn't he just give you a quote over the phone? They are $3,250. If he said he would email one, I'm sure he will.

Busy...just a little to say the least, but not to busy to give quotes and take orders. I know we had 3 guy out of the office today who normally help and I'm almost never there anymore. I'm either out doing shows or field testing new products.

David

djagusch
07-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Why couldn't he just give you a quote over the phone? They are $3,250. If he said he would email one, I'm sure he will.

Busy...just a little to say the least, but not to busy to give quotes and take orders. I know we had 3 guy out of the office today who normally help and I'm almost never there anymore. I'm either out doing shows or field testing new products.

David

David, I asked for you but you were out in the field. I wanted a emailed quote to cut a cashier's check for one and mail it in. No need for everyone to pay CC fee's. I like stuff in writing before letting money go, just the way I do business for larger items.

With the 24" coming it's hard to decide to wait for it and suffer a bit in Aug or get the 21" and kick my butt for not waiting for the bigger machine. Guessing I'll wait until the 24" is shipping.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-08-2010, 02:05 AM
djagusch, Scharber's Equipment (JD Dealers) is now stocking our aerators in your area. That is where you would be getting your unit....same pricing.

David

hackitdown
07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Well I checked out the Lawn Solutions Ride-on and the Walkbehind at the dealer (Richey and Clapper). Pretty impressive machines. I tried the ride-on on the dealer's lawn, and it was pretty much just what you would expect after watching the video. Very, very easy, and it operates just like a stander mower. The dealer only had the 2010 model with a Robin engine in stock, so I'd like to see the 2011 to see if the machine is a lot different. He quoted list price for the 2010. Seems like it would be worth waiting for the 2011 since there is no incentive to buy the 2010.

Snapper12
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSolutionsCP : Where can I demo in the St. Louis area? Thank you.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Scotts power equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device