PDA

View Full Version : need help qoting 15000 sq ft sod job

onlythebest
07-04-2010, 03:00 PM
hi i am looking for some insight on quoting a sod job that a lady wants me to do. it is 100 by 150 ft and has grass currently growing. she said it is new construction and all the grass is ruined so she wants me to just put soil on top of the existing grass and install sod on top. my previous sodding jobs all but one consisted of removing the old grass first so i am not very familiar with just laying sod on top. the one job i didn't remove grass there was nothing there to start. so my first question is, do i cultivate the lawn first before putting down soil or just put soil directly on top of pre-existing lawn? second question, what starter fert if any, do i use/put down and at what rate? and last off how much profit should i make???:confused:
sorry for all the questions but my biggest sod job i have done so far was about 8k sq ft so the bigger jobs are new to me and i don't want to under or over bid
thanks for any input:canadaflag:

onlythebest
07-04-2010, 07:01 PM
any one? really need help. thanks

RigglePLC
07-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Sod on top of old grass? I wouldn't do it.The sod farm will tell you no. And so would most other experts.
I am not experienced in sod and I am 1500 miles from you, however...I suggest...kill the old grass first; remove the old grass with a sod cutter; haul away; install new sod; water heavy for 3 weeks.

However, many times damaged (ruined) grass will recover given good care, plenty of fertilizer and water. You may need to use some sod on isolated spots--or maybe transfer a few sprigs from good to bad areas. Fluff the soil under tire tracks with a pitch fork, or add fill as needed.

bigslick7878
07-05-2010, 01:20 AM
You can go right over the top, jut make sure the old grass gets killed and it will lay right down. You put the top soil to smooth any imperfections you will have no issues.

A lot of times it is completely unnecessary to take up the old sod, unless there is a big lip already where it meets the concrete and you need the grade lower.

lawn king
07-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Removal of the old lawn & installation of new topsoil as needed is the correct way to renovate. Kill the existing lawn with gly & pulverize with a pto or hydraulic rototiller at the very least. Soil prep is the most important aspect of a sod installation!

bigslick7878
07-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Removal of the old lawn & installation of new topsoil as needed is the correct way to renovate. Kill the existing lawn with gly & pulverize with a pto or hydraulic rototiller at the very least. Soil prep is the most important aspect of a sod installation!

I have seen sod layed on the hardest, rockiest dirt you could ever imagine and grow fine. (on a 45 degree slope too in full exposed sun no cover)

Water after you lay it is most important.

Not saying soil does not matter but you don't need to "remove" all that if it is in decent shape.

ajslands
07-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Would using Harley rake be a good idea'er?
Posted via Mobile Device