PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice/wisdom on a bush and tree removal

Marinucci_Landscaping
07-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey all,

I've got two different jobs, one involving removing a series of bushes, and another involving cutting down two trees. I'd like to see if I could get some advice on whether or not you (who have more experience than I) think I would be able to get the job done and the price I should charge for the bushes, and again what you would price to remove the two trees. I've attached pictures of both jobs at the bottom.

Starting with the bushes, I have pulled bushes before, but not to this extent. As far as I know, this type of bush (don't know the name) is "relatively" shallow rooted. I've heard they pretty much just all pull out once you get it going, but I'm honestly a little unsure here. First off, is a GMC Sierra 1500 series going to be able to get the job done here? Secondly, I have no idea what I would estimate the job at... being that I've never removed a hedgerow before. I know we would need to dump it (or possibly chew it up) and grade the area when it was all said and done... so we would need a yard or so of topsoil (I would think), a tamper, and seed. Honestly, I haven't done grading to this extent either, but I could probably figure it out if need be. Any thoughts or advice on any (or hopefully all) of the above would be greatly appreciated.

For the trees, I'm thinking I'm going to need to rent a bucket to be able to cut trees down from the top down, otherwise I run the risk of damaging the fence. I'm insured, but I'd rather do it the safe way unless someone can suggest a method otherwise. I know we could try roping the piece over, but I'd rather not for a bunch of reasons. Now, I've done tree removal before... but on smaller scales when I was much smaller. My main question is, what would you charge to remove and dispose of these two trees?

I have more pictures of both if need be. Both jobs come from current customers, so I'll get the jobs if I can explain what it will take, and price them right. I've always lived by the motto that if I don't know something, to go to someone who does, so here I am. Thank you very much in advance, I greatly appreciate the time.

- Marinucci

Marinucci_Landscaping
07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Really looking for some help here.

- Marinucci

Florida Gardener
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Yo

For the bushes to just remove I would charge $150. Keep in mind I don't know what they are and any obstacles. FYI, you don't need to use a truck. Invest in some quality shovels and dig em out.

I would charge $200 to take each tree down, not including dumping,etc. You don't need a bucket. Either use a 12' A-frame and rope it off in sections or take off the smaller stuff with a telescoping or gas pole saw and take a chainsaw to the bigger stuff.

jvanvliet
07-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Yo

For the bushes to just remove I would charge $150. Keep in mind I don't know what they are and any obstacles. FYI, you don't need to use a truck. Invest in some quality shovels and dig em out.

I would charge $200 to take each tree down, not including dumping,etc. You don't need a bucket. Either use a 12' A-frame and rope it off in sections or take off the smaller stuff with a telescoping or gas pole saw and take a chainsaw to the bigger stuff.

Hey Diamond...:waving:

Que Pasa? I'm getting to be sorry I post anything on the pest control site... Took your advise, cut back 12 minutes on the water. It's an L&O problem not a yardboy's. The rest of the property look great by the way.

Any way, $150 to dig out those bushes? That sounds low to me. Those bushes are established & so well rooted, also looks to be about 20-30 ft. of them, plus what's behind we can't see. I'm also seeing a mature oak to the right of those bushes so there will be roots to contend with. Removal dumping, etc. Three man crew = 4 hrs = 12 manhours X cost plus travel time to the dump and dump fees. $150 I think you'll come up short.

As far as the trees are concerned, assuming those power lines are behind them, I'd set up a couple of cones and drop them all at once. Once on the ground, it only takes us a little while to cut them down to size and load them on my dump trailer while a man directs traffic around the work site. looks like a quiet street. I'd rather not have a man up in the tree and hook up a block and tackle to lower branches.

Again, 3 men X 4 hours X cost & travel & dump... don't know if they want the stumps ground, but I would sub that out. Renting a grinder is expensive and a guy with one of those Vermeer monsters will have it done in about 30 minutes.

Florida Gardener
07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Yea, it gets pretty "egotistical" over there...those guys are very knowledgeable but are set in thier ways so to speak.

He said the roots were shallow so I figured it should be an easy removal. $150 was only to yank em out. No disposal/hauling. I don't know that plant so I am going off of his advice.

Marinucci_Landscaping
07-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey!

Thank you both very much. I'm only assuming those are shallow rooted... the bushes. I've dug them out before, but they were much smaller. There is a lot of mess in there as well... I can't help but wonder if my little 1500 series Sierra will be able to provide enough power to yank the damn things.

I'd love to be able to just drop those two trees at once... but I'm concerned about dropping them into the street/ground and the damage they may cause. Would you recommend trying to cut out as much of the lower branches first before dropping 'em? Or just letting them straight up go and then dismembering the trees once they were on the ground? Directing the fall isn't too much of a concern of mine.

Regardless, many thanks to you both! Let me know what you think when you can.

- Marinucci

bradseabridge
07-06-2010, 09:41 PM
a 1500 sierra has a v8 in it, probably something of the 5.- variety. I pull out BUSHES I'm talking man bushes with a 20 year old 2wd ranger with a 2.3 litre 4 bangor in it. You will be fine. As long as you have a rope or strap/chain long enough to get your tires on pavement you will be good. Put it in 1st and step on the gas till the chain gets tight, then slowly press the gas till you feel it give.

200$ to cut those trees down?! hahahahahaha

cut all the branches you can off till its just a spear sticking up, then cut off like 3-4 foot sections notch one side and have a rope tied around it. Someone pull on the rope and cut from the opposite side of the notch with your chainsaw and it "should" just fall off and hopefully not land on the hired helps head.

Florida Gardener
07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't know why you are laughing at $200/tree. There's liability, insurance,labor,etc. If you are worried about dropping it at once do like I said and take off smaller limbs first with a tele polesaw or gas powered polesaw and then drop off what's left in a couple of different sections.

I think it looks unprofessional to rip out bushes with your truck but if that's what you want to do go for it.

dgw
07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Don't know why you are laughing at $200/tree. There's liability, insurance,labor,etc. If you are worried about dropping it at once do like I said and take off smaller limbs first with a tele polesaw or gas powered polesaw and then drop off what's left in a couple of different sections.

I think it looks unprofessional to rip out bushes with your truck but if that's what you want to do go for it.

dont think he is laughing because its to high

those two are a grand easy

toasted
07-06-2010, 10:07 PM
dont think he is laughing because its to high

those two are a grand easy

X2... Thumbs Up

bradseabridge
07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
easily a grand, and it may not look professional to pull out bushes with a truck but I'm damn sure not gonna sit there with freaking shovels when I have another TOOL that will do it more efficiently and in about an 90th of the time of shoveling.

Seriously what do you want me to do in 115degree weather.

edited for being a dick.

Florida Gardener
07-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Well maybe im not experienced enough in pricing tree work.

Well, not all of us have bobcats or whatever your referring to. It would be lovely to be able to use one, but I don't have one and I'm not going to rent one to just take out those bushes.

Florida Gardener
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh, your referring to your truck. Well go ahead and pull them out that way then. I just offered my opinion on how I would do it. Yes, it looks unprofessional. Not to mention you put marks in the lawn.

dgw
07-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh, your referring to your truck. Well go ahead and pull them out that way then. I just offered my opinion on how I would do it. Yes, it looks unprofessional. Not to mention you put marks in the lawn.

get yourself a handful of heavy duty tow chains

link em long enough to get to pavement with your truck

when you get old like me this will be your favorite method

im 30 years old , diggin aint fun no more

for trees, the liability of them dont make it worth touching for cheap

on the plus side you get enough of them start cutting them up and sell them for firewood in the winter, or burn them yourself:drinkup:

bradseabridge
07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Pretty sure I said make sure your back tires are on the pavement in my first post. I'm not an idiot and have been doing this a long time. Using a shovel is idiotic IMHO when you have a tool with a motor that will make your job easier and faster. That's why we spend money on all this equipment so we don't have to get down on our hands or knees with shears.

whosedog
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
There's a lot of bunches there,you'll have to wrap the chain or tow strap around each bunch,the truck will yank them right out.then rototil out remaining roots(if poor soil add peatmoss),rake and roll smooth,add seed + fert,, rake in and tell him to water regularly.
Trees look easy,have a helper rope them away from fence and lines when you drop the branches.
24 man hours labor, disposal and stump removal extra.
Just take it slow in this heat,better yet wait till it passes!

Florida Gardener
07-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow, you guys don't need to justify what you do. I really don't give a ****. Get workers and then you won't be doin the digging. Unless you want to be a solo operator all your life. Seriously, I don't care.

jvanvliet
07-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Those bushes don't look like they need a truck... dig one and find out. Putting a truck on the lawn is going to do a lot of damage, not to mention the damage from ripping the bushes out of the ground... it also looks "bush league" doing it that way, tearing up the guys yard for a couple of bushes. Get a good "Pony Spade" at about & $85.00 It'll cut through the roots like a hot knife through butter. I'll bet the Diamond has one. I'm 57, I still dig, in the summer, in South Florida where I am familiar with heat.

You may want to use a service to make sure you don't have cable or pipe running under there before you start ripping and tearing. We have a free service down here called "no cuts' they scan the area and mark all the utilities, if they miss one it's covered if not and you break it it'll cost you.

The trees aren't that big, like the man said, cut a notch and then make a slow cut from the other side and you can do a "controlled" drop using the hinge. I don't think they'll do any damage other than scratch the asphalt a bit. Anyway, smaller branches will break the fall. Depends on how much sack you got and how much work you want to do. The quicker you get it down, the better.

$2,000 for those trees sounds like a lot for down here, but I'll bet you can get $400.00 - $600.00 each for them, including the stump grinding. If it's hard wood, you got some for the winter, so it's a bonus.

dgw
07-07-2010, 05:12 PM
i meant a grand for the pair

and i dug 3 bushes today , with an actual shovel and pry bar

by myself:clapping::clapping:

i only use truck method when necessary

jvanvliet
07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
i meant a grand for the pair

and i dug 3 bushes today , with an actual shovel and pry bar

by myself:clapping::clapping:

i only use truck method when necessary

You're the man! :cool2:

Have a beer on me :drinkup:

dgw
07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
You're the man! :cool2:

Have a beer on me :drinkup:

on my third, nothing beats a few after a day like today:drinkup:

Florida Gardener
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Jvan,

I have 3!

TMAC
07-08-2010, 02:19 AM
just did this yesterday pulled it all out with a truck, had to dig a little to get the tap root from the end shrubs so i didnt tear up the grass even the dead one was holding tight. 92 degrees full sun wasnt gonna digem. my area id get 600.00 - 800.00 for both trees

http://i27.tinypic.com/2r57xon.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2yx2c8n.jpg

bradseabridge
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
6-8hunned for both trees?! that's nut's. I just cut down and hauled 6 trees the biggest one was 10inches for 200$ It only took me 2 and a half hours.

I wouldn't touch a tree that big for less than 600$ each, to much to go wrong if your aren't experienced enough to tackle it correctly.

TMAC
07-08-2010, 05:45 PM
well i am experienced was a climber for 8 years,ground man for 2 wouldn't even bother to do that with these SMALL trees. different areas get different prices. id have a buyer for the wood there to take it away on the spot leaving about 1 load of brush to take away 4 hours max for me yeah ill do it for that amount

fl-landscapes
07-08-2010, 05:55 PM
get yourself a handful of heavy duty tow chains

link em long enough to get to pavement with your truck

when you get old like me this will be your favorite method

im 30 years old , diggin aint fun no more

for trees, the liability of them dont make it worth touching for cheap

on the plus side you get enough of them start cutting them up and sell them for firewood in the winter, or burn them yourself:drinkup:

cost of the chains would be more than renting a skid steer for half a day

dgw
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
cost of the chains would be more than renting a skid steer for half a day

could it be possible that maybe, just maybe he would use them again one day

fl-landscapes
07-08-2010, 08:05 PM
could it be possible that maybe, just maybe he would use them again one day

twenty years in the business I have never used a "handful of chains" but I guess "just maybe" he might.

bradseabridge
07-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I have to agree, In the 5 years of seriously doing this I have used chains maybe 2-3 times for pulling big stuck things out. If I want to get bushes out I just use the winch.

bradseabridge
07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
well i am experienced was a climber for 8 years,ground man for 2 wouldn't even bother to do that with these SMALL trees. different areas get different prices. id have a buyer for the wood there to take it away on the spot leaving about 1 load of brush to take away 4 hours max for me yeah ill do it for that amount

That's impressive I have to say, but I don't think the OP has that kind of experience if he was asking how to take those bushes out and how much to charge. I'm not sayin but I'm just sayin. :dancing:

shooterm
07-09-2010, 05:30 AM
You guys really need to to pick up some chains I cant imagine not having them everyday. Dont buy them at Home Depot make them at a tool wholesaler.

dgw
07-09-2010, 05:51 AM
sorry to offend you

i use chains for several things

including holding to certain pieces of equipment to the lowboy

fl-landscapes
07-09-2010, 08:45 AM
sorry to offend you

i use chains for several things

including holding to certain pieces of equipment to the lowboy

you didnt offend me. I also have a few heavy duty chains and use them from time to time. However it appears he doesnt have a lowboy or a skidsteer or track steer to chain down to the lowboy. He is trying to remove twenty or so bushes and I think buying a "handful" of tow chains for that purpose is a waste of money and will still have that hillbilly look to it when he removes them that way. I just think renting a skidsteer for half a day would be cheaper and would get the job done faster as well as looking more professional. JMO

bradseabridge
07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I cant see renting a big ass skid steer for a few little bushes. Besides how would he get it there? You need a heavy duty trailer for one of those.

fl-landscapes
07-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I cant see renting a big ass skid steer for a few little bushes. Besides how would he get it there? You need a heavy duty trailer for one of those.

They rent trailers to you know. Hey go buy a handful of tow chains for $400 and yank em out.....Skid steers do come in a lot of sizes, you dont need a "big azz" one.

bradseabridge
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
$400 for tow chains? wow. Just to make it cost effective to rent one, if we are saying $400 for trailer and skid steer assuming he has a truck big enough to tow it, you would have to charge $400 just to break even, no one is going to pay $400 to take out those bushes. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that just isn't going to happen.

whosedog
07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Harbor Freight 10 ft tow straps ,$10 each, buy as many as you need to reach the bushes,so you don't mess up the lawn;that's what I used, work great.

OldRedFord
07-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Mini excavator for a day.

jvanvliet
07-12-2010, 06:17 AM
6-8hunned for both trees?! that's nut's. I just cut down and hauled 6 trees the biggest one was 10inches for 200$ It only took me 2 and a half hours.

I wouldn't touch a tree that big for less than 600$ each, to much to go wrong if your aren't experienced enough to tackle it correctly.

I think the posts said $400 up to $600 PER tree... that means EACH or, $1,000for the pair. That would be $500.00 each.

unkownfl
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Get locates and dig up the shrubs. Looks like their could be some lines in the area to me... For the trees just drop them into the road. You can notch the trunks but I still don't think it will be anywhere near going into the fence. For damage to the road sidewalk etc. I really really don't think its going to happen. Don't trim any of the branches off it will soften the blow. You can cut the back half of the tree on the fence side to lighten it up and to make sure it goes into the street. You should be able to clear the road in 5-10 mins by yourself but I'm sure you will need two people at least. Amherst those people have money on that side of town don't they??? BTW love the pancake house... LOL Don't rip those bushes out it doesn't matter what you have for equipment you chance pulling up all kinds of stuff here from phone, gas, electrical, irrigation etc...

Edit** take a saw and cut the hedges down before trying to dig them up too...

It would cost me about 250 in equipment to rent, dump etc here. Add labor for 16 hours at your rate. You should make out good at those prices. I know up there right now its rough for work so I wouldn't price myself out of a job.

McGaw
07-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Chainsaw....
Use it to cut down the trees. Then use it to cut out as much of the bushes as possible. Check the root sizes from there, and just pull/dig them out. It would take no more than 2hours to have the bushes cut, pulled, and loaded. Especially if there are two guys. The trees wouldn't take the long either.
I beleive someone mentioned renting a stump grinder for the bushes? You're going to have to grind the stumps out from the trees anyway. Maybe this would be the best root, chainsaw and sub out to someone with a stump grinder?

What did you end up doing?

jvanvliet
07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I think you call in one of those Marine Corps $hithooks, err i mean Chinook lifters. Have them hoover over the bushes and attach all the chain you just bought and have Chinooks lift the bushes out... then you can do the same thing with those whimpy trees... OR;

You can man up, dig out the shrubs and cut down the friggin trees, just drop em and cut them up... Sub out the stump grinding get your check and have a cold beer. Good grief, this job isn't all that complicated.

knox gsl
07-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Call local utility 811 locate underground service. Yank out bushes with truck it you can put it on pavement. Soil will be lose and tilled by the time you get all the roots out seed over water. Throw a rope up in the trees and use the notch/hinge method and drop it in the street. Start at the top and give room for cars ASAP. This job should be done in less than 8 hours with 2 men working it and would be a low but still fair price @ $1,500 with the bushes, trees and stumps gone and seeded in.

dgw
07-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Call local utility 811 locate underground service. Yank out bushes with truck it you can put it on pavement. Soil will be lose and tilled by the time you get all the roots out seed over water. Throw a rope up in the trees and use the notch/hinge method and drop it in the street. Start at the top and give room for cars ASAP. This job should be done in less than 8 hours with 2 men working it and would be a low but still fair price @ $1,500 with the bushes, trees and stumps gone and seeded in.

good price , i concur

topsites
07-19-2010, 02:39 AM
sorry wrong thread.

georgiagrass
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
We use tow straps and yank out shrubs fairly frequently whenever we can do it without getting the truck off the pavement. I've never understood why some say this is less than professional. On the other hand, if they will pop out quickly with a shovel/pry bar, that takes even less time. We will use the truck when they have to be dug.