PDA

View Full Version : Send Invoices without return envolope?

stevenf
07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I have been sending invoices with a return envolope already stamped and addressed. It has worked out good so far. Some people comment that they love it and some are always late and end up sending me the check in there own envolope half of the time.
I was curious how both ways have worked for you. With and without....

toasted
07-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I haven't tried the return envelopes.... sounds like it works really well for those that appreciate it. I have tried E-Bills and that seems to work with some customers. Most of the time, my customers will send their own checks or I happen to see them and they want to pay me.

unkownfl
07-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I haven't tried the return envelopes.... sounds like it works really well for those that appreciate it. I have tried E-Bills and that seems to work with some customers. Most of the time, my customers will send their own checks or I happen to see them and they want to pay me.

I did it for all my customers when they're new. Then about 50% started sending automatic bill pay checks so I stopped giving those customers return envelopes. I only have about 5 customers that use them so I only give it to those customers. Sometimes I would included postage the the real bad ones that liked to slow pay so there would be no excuse when I added a late charge or skip them one week.

mnglocker
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
I did it for all my customers when they're new. Then about 50% started sending automatic bill pay checks so I stopped giving those customers return envelopes. I only have about 5 customers that use them so I only give it to those customers. Sometimes I would included postage the the real bad ones that liked to slow pay so there would be no excuse when I added a late charge or skip them one week.

Straight up Ditto except for the postage part. I also drop in a couple of business cards every time.

TennisBum
07-06-2010, 12:05 PM
No return postage.

stevenf
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I guess I will give it a shot without postage. Its costing alot of extra money just to not insure a quick delivery like im wanting.

Roger
07-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I include a return envelope for those who don't use bank payments. No postage. However, I remain intrigued why so many discard my envelope and use their own. I even include a tear-off, bottom one-third of the invoice. The tear-off is intended to be used in the double window envelope. This means my name/address on front-center, and their return address is upper-left corner. They need no addressing, just a stamp. But, why discard, and use their own envelope, hand writing the addresses? I'm happy to get their check, but wonder how much easier my procedure could be for them to use.

CLARK LAWN
07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
i spend over $100 a month on postage, there is no way i am sending then a pre stamped envolope. maybe if the cable or electric company starts then i might consider it.

toasted
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
i spend over $100 a month on postage, there is no way i am sending then a pre stamped envolope. maybe if the cable or electric company starts then i might consider it.

:laugh: Good point.

CT18fireman
07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
I am down to only sending about 10% of my customers paper invoices. Most people I e-mail them right from quickbooks. Probably 80% right now pay by automatice check or credit card.

ncls
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Exactly. Great point.

shade tree landscaping
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
pay for return postage? That gets expensive real fast!!!

clean_cut
07-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I send a stamped return envelope to the customers who I invoice by mail, but there's such a small number (usually 1) that it doesn't really matter, only about 50 cents.

Roger
07-10-2010, 06:34 AM
A bit of diversion from the thread, but I will ask anyway ...

I've had several customers attempt to make electronic transfer of payments, their checking account to mine. None of them have been successful.

They do their online banking, and have provided account and routing information for my bank. But, in the end, a payment service cuts a check and sends it to me via USPS. This happens, despite the customer being assured by their bank that the money will be electronically transferred (e.g. direct deposit).

Anybody have the same experience?

LKCLawnService
07-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I send without postage, or tell them to leave it for me and I will pick up when I mow.

unkownfl
07-10-2010, 11:43 AM

I've had several customers attempt to make electronic transfer of payments, their checking account to mine. None of them have been successful.

They do their online banking, and have provided account and routing information for my bank. But, in the end, a payment service cuts a check and sends it to me via USPS. This happens, despite the customer being assured by their bank that the money will be electronically transferred (e.g. direct deposit).

I don't think you can transfer funds in business accounts...

Lefet
07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Initially, (first bill) everyone gets stamped, self addressed envelopes. After payment, some use bill pay so we either switch to emailing invoices or invoices with no return envelope. The remainder continue to receive SASE and they all use it. I believe it makes payment easier, we get it quicker, and they have minimal excuses as to why it's "not in the mail".
Yes, it's a little more costly, but I believe the customers appreciate it and it helps them to know we appreciate their business.

Raymond S.
07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I used to include a return envelope w/ my address. About 1/3 of them used it so I quit. It's a pain stuffing the extra envelope along w/ the invoice so no sweat off my back. Since I quit including an envelope my payments have still been coming on time so in the end it didn't make a difference.

DJ Contracting
07-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Absolutely I have never sent out envelopes
Posted via Mobile Device

DLCS
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
No return envelopes here and i definately wouldn't put postage on one either. USPS is raising postage fees again so look out for those of you who send postage paid return envelopes.

HOOLIE
07-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Roger, I asked my bank manager a few years ago about ACH transactions, he said typically banks only set these up if you do a significant amount of volume, so not likely you could have this work for one or two customers.

Roger
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Hoolie, that is interesting information. I have talked with my bank, and the customers have talked with their respective banks. I've been assured a ACH transaction is permitted, and would work fine. In fact, I've had several other transactions done this way on other financial matters. So, I know it works.

My customers have asked for the ACH transaction at their bank, and, in every case, have been told this would be implemented. They assumed as much. When they asked me a few months after I gave them the routing and account number if everything was working, I told them what was happening, namely, a check payment service was cutting a check and mailing it to me. They were astounded because they thought all the pieces were in place for the ACH.

There seems to be no explanation. Perhaps you are right about size of transaction. Maybe the dollar amounts are too small to qualify. But, we wonder why this condition isn't explained by the banks. It remains a mystery.

I am less concerned about it than the customers. They thought they were doing me a favor, which is true. But, I'm more concerned about getting the money, than how I get it.