PDA

View Full Version : Burned up lawn darn it!

WETSCAPE
07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I live in CT and my lawn is fried. I may have under watered however I thought 15mins per zone would have been enough (everyday)? The rain gods have not been good here! The question can I spark up my overseeder and have a snowballs chance in hell of bringing this lawn back or is it impossible?
Thanks for any advice.....

punt66
07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I live in CT and my lawn is fried. I may have under watered however I thought 15mins per zone would have been enough (everyday)? The rain gods have not been good here! The question can I spark up my overseeder and have a snowballs chance in hell of bringing this lawn back or is it impossible?
Thanks for any advice.....

yes, you can, but you will need to water a lot. Rain is coming next week. I am skipping some lawns this week. Thats rare for me to do.

CT18fireman
07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Really soak it until we get some rain.

I am skipping lawns for the first time since 2006 this week. I cut them up a 1/2" last week as it was. I am glad to see rain in the forecast. Looks like a good shot on Sunday.

jonthepain
07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
even some afternoon thunderstorms would be appreciated

dKoester
07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Water deep every four days or when the lawn starts to give you the slight dried out purplelish/blue look. Deep watering is proper watering.

WETSCAPE
07-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks all! Time to fire the Billygoat up!

EastCoast
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm watering deep every morning... I live on Long Island and winning the battle over Mother Nature.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigslick7878
07-06-2010, 11:06 PM
In Baltimore we had 1/2 an inch in June, and then it has been 95-100 the past week with not one drop.

95% of lawns are dormant right now, and I have not mowed in about 12 days. Doing it tomorrow because I am going on vacation, but the lawns do not really need it.

WETSCAPE
07-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm watering deep every morning... I live on Long Island and winning the battle over Mother Nature.
Posted via Mobile Device

How many minutes per zone are you running?

EastCoast
07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
My backyard faces south and east... 1 hour per zone (2 zones)

Front of house faces west.... 25 minutes (2 zones)

Start around 4:30am

jbturf
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
wet, your probably not even reaching the root zone with 15 minutes of watering
with rotors, probably causing more trouble than anything-- if you have been watering like this for some time; i would suspect shallow rooting of your turf and it probably quickly stresses out in the heat and dry conditions

water your usual 15 minutes then pull a soil plug out with a soil probe and see how far the water has made it down? (i guess 1 inch max)
i would suggest watering enough each time to saturate the soil to a depth of 4-5 inch deep

your turf may not be dead yet, and i would hold off on tearing into it with a renovator
at this time, you may end up with a healthy crop of crabgrass