PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Super Z 27hp Kohler "stuck"

ssgnai
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
My son was mowing last and said as he put the mower away he noticed some "smoke", but couldn't really tell me where it was coming from. I went out today to start it and it won't crank at all. Like the engine or starter has seized. The battery is plenty strong and the exposed top of the engine where a pull start would be rotates about 1/8" as you hit the starter. Frame has 346 hours, engine has about 100 less than that (another story I don't want to revisit).

Oil level is fine and changes are properly done. Is this a starter problem or much worse? I DIY my cars and other equipment - what should I look for?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Wichita, KS

mowerconsultant
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
The first thing I would do is remove the deck belt, then try to turn it over, if it turns over then the problem is in the deck pulleys or spindles.
If it still doesn't turn over then remove the pto clutch, there could be a bearing seizure.
If it still doesn't turn over then remove the hydro belt.
If it doesn't turn over with the hydro belt removed then its the engine or starter.

Pj

TLS
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Keep cycling the key. Mine always grunts the first time, then I cycle the key and it always starts after that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ssgnai
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips on the process. Taking off first two belts made no difference. When I saw the PTO clutch, I was fairly certain I'd found the problem. You can see from the photos there is something molten looking hanging off the bottom of the clutch assembly. Obviously lots of heat in there, I suspect from a failing bearing. Removed PTO clutch assembly and engine turns over just fine. I'm calling around for replacement clutch plate and probably electric clutch assembly ($$$) - perhaps just bearing, but I'm not that hopeful.

Thank you again for your help. Will post the outcome when done.

Steve

ssgnai
07-10-2010, 01:47 PM
After replacing the $275 clutch and $17 diode (suggested by dealer) and the blades not engaging, turns out I needed to replace the 15 amp fuse - took me awhile with the voltmeter to think to check that.

We're back in business. Thanks, PJ.

Steve

mowerconsultant
07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
After replacing the $275 clutch and $17 diode (suggested by dealer) and the blades not engaging, turns out I needed to replace the 15 amp fuse - took me awhile with the voltmeter to think to check that.

We're back in business. Thanks, PJ.

Steve

The pto blew your fuse when it shorted out.
Now your back in business....

ssgnai
07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Do you think I needed a new diode?

mowerconsultant
07-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Do you think I needed a new diode?

Its likely you did, when the coil in the clutch went out it likely took out the diode.