PDA

View Full Version : Good Starter Truck???

Lawn RX 10
07-06-2010, 11:41 PM
OKay, excuse any dumb questions but i am clueless about cars of any sort.

Im trading my car in for a personal/business truck, my car payment now is 300 and i hope to get 5 for the car. I would like to get something 4x4 small cab and a big bed but am having tough time finding....Ill buy used....All the truck needs to be abl to do is pull a 6x12 trailer with a max of two walkbehinds and etc. Maybe need a trailer to support mulch? Weight issues? I plan on boarding the sides of the bed up for leave and stuff. I would like my car payment to be no more then 400 a month with means if i plan on getting five for my car now then i will need to find a truck for 25 or less. Any help would be great!

unkownfl
07-07-2010, 12:32 AM
OKay, excuse any dumb questions but i am clueless about cars of any sort.

Im trading my car in for a personal/business truck, my car payment now is 300 and i hope to get 5 for the car. I would like to get something 4x4 small cab and a big bed but am having tough time finding....Ill buy used....All the truck needs to be abl to do is pull a 6x12 trailer with a max of two walkbehinds and etc. Maybe need a trailer to support mulch? Weight issues? I plan on boarding the sides of the bed up for leave and stuff. I would like my car payment to be no more then 400 a month with means if i plan on getting five for my car now then i will need to find a truck for 25 or less. Any help would be great!

Go get a brand new 1/2 ford or chevy both will be below 300 a month if you have decent credit (600+) and if you own your car outright. Silverado F150...

unkownfl
07-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Go get a brand new 1/2 ford or chevy both will be below 300 a month if you have decent credit (600+) and if you own your car outright. Silverado F150...

Just ran the numbers for you. 26500 for a new long bed regular cab f150 1400 for tax 500 for tag and registration. 750 in dealer fees doc stamps etc. total of 29150 - trade allowance of 5000 leaves 24150- 3500 in factory rebates amount financed of 20650. 371 per month 8.9% interest at 72 months. You have to take that rate for a month and then refinace because you want the 1000 rebate from FMC. A conservative rate from a credit union or bank would be 5.9 State farm would be 5.19 here... That will drop you close to 300 a month.

Chevy 25385+TTT (1875)+ 750 dealer fee doc stamps etc. 319 a month at 0% interest 72 months.

ZTR_Diesel
07-07-2010, 01:08 AM
If it's your first - DO NOT buy something new. This country is addicted to debt (many will never live out of debt the rest of thier lives.)

Instead, find one that is in good shape used for less than $10k. Plenty out there for that. Research on msn.com/autos and kbb.com for resale values. Don't get too caught up on what brand/engine/etc. You could do this work with a Toyota/Ranger/Nissan compact if you wanted. Start small, get it paid for quickly, and then after you have savings (remember what that is?) perhaps you can start looking at something more.

dhunterd08
07-07-2010, 01:31 AM
I agree, do not buy something new. Get on craigslist. I saw an 04 F150 Supercab 4x4 Lariat edition with 8k original miles for like 17,000. Thats a new truck with every option you can imagine.

Flatop
07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=ZTR_Diesel;3631714]If it's your first - DO NOT buy something new. This country is addicted to debt (many will never live out of debt the rest of thier lives.)
QUOTE]

Good advice here and it doesn't state where you are from but here in San Antonio, TX you don't need a 4x4. I use a 2000 Nissan frontier 4 door w/short bed which I use to haul my 5x8 trailer with equipment and sometimes topsoil.

unkownfl
07-07-2010, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=ZTR_Diesel;3631714]If it's your first - DO NOT buy something new. This country is addicted to debt (many will never live out of debt the rest of thier lives.)
QUOTE]

Good advice here and it doesn't state where you are from but here in San Antonio, TX you don't need a 4x4. I use a 2000 Nissan frontier 4 door w/short bed which I use to haul my 5x8 trailer with equipment and sometimes topsoil.

No warranty on that truck at least not factory. 5 year 100k on the chevy and 5 year 60k on the Ford. Why not buy new? You guys are crazy. The 300 bucks a month is worth peace and mind if you know nothing about vehicle when it comes to fixing them. He/she could easily end up spending that on an older vehicle if he/she has to pay someone for every little thing needing fixing on a vehicle. Also, how is he/she going to find a decent used vehicle if he/she doesn't know what to look for? It seems like he/she is going to use it as his/her only means of transportation. CPO (certified pre owned) normally does not give out rentals if your vehicle breaks even if the warranty covers the repair. Manufacture warranty will include a rental. Manufactures warranty will not decline claims unless it from aftermarket parts other warranties its like fighting tooth and nail to get them to pay for it and even then they have deductibles. He/she is not adding any new debt pre month if they're currently paying 300 per month so how is trading in the current monthly payment for the same monthly payment but in with something that is going to be used to make money. Whats the point of spending 2-3k on a beater work truck and still have a 300 dollar payment???

ZTR_Diesel
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
In 17 years and over 400,000 miles of driving, I have yet to ever own a veichle that has a warranty in effect. I have a AAA motor club membership, and in a few occasions, the 100 miles of free towing has really paid off. Otherwise, aside from routine maintance, and occasional part failures that are common on veichles with some age and miles on them, my veichles have always been inexpensive to maintain overall. For certain, much less than the initial $3600/year that a $300 per month payment amounts to.

What isn't taken into account with a new verses used truck or car purchase too often is that of depreciation. If you buy a new truck for $25k, it looses over 30% of it's value the first year alone, and just keeps on going downhill from there. But you still own money for the initial cost, not what it's worth presently. So even if you need to sell it at some point, you will still own the entire purchase amount and are "upside down" on the rest.

Whereas if you purchase used for less than half the cost of new, it will still depreciate, but much more slowly than a new veichle. It winds up being a very high cost for being "secure" with your truck or car, but as others have found out, this does not guarantee a reliable, trustworthy vechile either.

There are situations that do dictate buying new; however for most people, a used vechile makes much better economic sense and having anything you buy inspected by a professional mechanic is far better of a plan (for about an hour of labor at going rate) than buying an unnesscicary "extended warranty" for $1200 or more. See, there's a reason car salespeople push these warranties and other types of "security enhanced" options when buying new or "certified pre-owned." What is it? It's money - in thier pocket. And that's what they are there to do.

Ozz
07-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Hmmm... Starter truck. Gonna be something nearly unkillable, and will have to have good power, because towing the first time people tend to try and take off too fast, and damge their vehicle. So, I say find a 7.3 in a 250 with 100k or less miles, and the 6 speed. Or, if you're careful, you could buy one with the R4100.

dhunterd08
07-10-2010, 01:52 AM
In 17 years and over 400,000 miles of driving, I have yet to ever own a veichle that has a warranty in effect. I have a AAA motor club membership, and in a few occasions, the 100 miles of free towing has really paid off. Otherwise, aside from routine maintance, and occasional part failures that are common on veichles with some age and miles on them, my veichles have always been inexpensive to maintain overall. For certain, much less than the initial $3600/year that a $300 per month payment amounts to.

What isn't taken into account with a new verses used truck or car purchase too often is that of depreciation. If you buy a new truck for $25k, it looses over 30% of it's value the first year alone, and just keeps on going downhill from there. But you still own money for the initial cost, not what it's worth presently. So even if you need to sell it at some point, you will still own the entire purchase amount and are "upside down" on the rest.

Whereas if you purchase used for less than half the cost of new, it will still depreciate, but much more slowly than a new veichle. It winds up being a very high cost for being "secure" with your truck or car, but as others have found out, this does not guarantee a reliable, trustworthy vechile either.

There are situations that do dictate buying new; however for most people, a used vechile makes much better economic sense and having anything you buy inspected by a professional mechanic is far better of a plan (for about an hour of labor at going rate) than buying an unnesscicary "extended warranty" for $1200 or more. See, there's a reason car salespeople push these warranties and other types of "security enhanced" options when buying new or "certified pre-owned." What is it? It's money - in thier pocket. And that's what they are there to do.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Fo example, that 2004 cost over 40k new. It has 8,000 miles on it. Saw it reposted today for 16500. Less than half the price for a brand new truck. Who wants to watch themselves put the first scratch on a new truck anyway.....

360ci
07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I agree. A used F150 with the smaller V8 in the 4-6 year old bracket will run fine for a few years before you should have to sink more than $1K into it. Just keep it well maintained and it'll last.

Lawn RX 10
07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I have been cheaking user dealers....having tough time to find 4x4 f150 with a big bed. I'm falling in love with the f250 super duty. I have zero need for the bqckseats so I really want a single cab. Any thoughts???? Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

whosedog
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Have you done a search with your specifications in Auto Trader.com or Kelly Blue Book used vehicles or Craigs list? There's got to be some thing you like in them;my son found a really good deal through Auto Trader when gas was $4 a gallon,the dealers were giving the trucks away cause everybody who didn't need a truck for work was turning them in for something more fuel efficient.

Lawn RX 10
07-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Trading in my car now so I have to go somewhere that will give me something....I can't really spend more then 450 a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
07-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Trading in my car now so I have to go somewhere that will give me something....I can't really spend more then 450 a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

What part of the country are you from? Will you be needing a plow? If you are from a state that snows you should plan on getting something with a plow. Also if you are going to buy a truck for landscaping, why not buy a dump? F350 dump is the way I would go. 4x4 with plow if you are from the north Used

whosedog
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

So do a search for dealers only in Kelly BB and Auto trader,most of the dealers will accept trades,my son got a grand for his beatup ranger with a blown transmission.

unkownfl
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I've yet to see a dealer not take a trade...

Lawn RX 10
07-11-2010, 05:25 PM
What part of the country are you from? Will you be needing a plow? If you are from a state that snows you should plan on getting something with a plow. Also if you are going to buy a truck for landscaping, why not buy a dump? F350 dump is the way I would go. 4x4 with plow if you are from the north Used

Yeah, think i might of mentiond that earlier. IM from NJ so yes snow will and MUST be a major big factor for me. I know i need atleast a 3/4 ton or even ton truck and something with 4x4 OBV. Anything els to think about for snow requirments? I was looking at some nice silverados and ford f25 superdutys last night both used with 20 thous miles or so for bout 20-25 G.....Just right in my price range. Other then pushing snow around i need it to pull at most a trailer full of mulch or something like that. I wish i could go for a dump right now, just not practical as this is for business and personal. I dont care if it gets wear and tare. Guess for now any big mulch or clean up job will take multple trips. I also plan on boarding the bed up to make it into my own homemade dump!!!!

Any help is GREATly APPRECIATED THANKS

360ci
07-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Whatever you decide to get, be sure to take it for a THOROUGH test drive!!!

lawnboy dan
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
find a long bed single cab can be difficult-who would think that some one might want a truck that can actually do work

nepatsfan
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah, think i might of mentiond that earlier. IM from NJ so yes snow will and MUST be a major big factor for me. I know i need atleast a 3/4 ton or even ton truck and something with 4x4 OBV. Anything els to think about for snow requirments? I was looking at some nice silverados and ford f25 superdutys last night both used with 20 thous miles or so for bout 20-25 G.....Just right in my price range. Other then pushing snow around i need it to pull at most a trailer full of mulch or something like that. I wish i could go for a dump right now, just not practical as this is for business and personal. I dont care if it gets wear and tare. Guess for now any big mulch or clean up job will take multple trips. I also plan on boarding the bed up to make it into my own homemade dump!!!!

Any help is GREATly APPRECIATED THANKS
One thing I wish I did way before I did it was buy a dump. The cab and chassis is the same whether you buy a 1 ton pickup or a 1 ton dump. Just suck it up and cruise in the dump for a couple years until you can afford to buy a pick up too. The dump is going to be so useful for landscaping. Otherwise you could buy an ez dumper.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=42451988&listingRecNum=18&criteria=prMx%3D25000%26sf1Dir%3DASC%26prMn%3D0%26alMdId%3D21097%26mkId%3D20015%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId% 3D21097%26rd%3D150%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D07102%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DDESC%26sf1Nm%3Dmiles%26sf2Nm%3Dprice%26alMkId%3D20015%26rpp%3D50%26f eedSegId%3D28705&aff=boston

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?prMx=25000&prMn=0&alMdId=21097&mkId=20015&mdId=21097&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice&rd=150&zc=07102&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&alMkId=20015&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&searchSource=SORT&pgId=2102&sf1Nm=miles&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC

nepatsfan
07-12-2010, 10:12 PM
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;jsessionid=gDrxJqH2anDnHRVzV_Notnh?tab=photos&paId=352542000&recnum=&listingId=42839560&paId=&listingRecNum=7&criteria=prMx%3d25000%26sf1Dir%3dASC%26prMn%3d0%26alMdId%3d21097%26mkId%3d20015%26stkTyp%3dU%26mdId% 3d21097%26rd%3d150%26crSrtFlds%3dstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3d07102%26rn%3d0%26PMmt%3d1-1-0%26stkTypId%3d28881%26sf2Dir%3dDESC%26sf1Nm%3dmiles%26sf2Nm%3dprice%26alMkId%3d20015%26rpp%3d50%26f eedSegId%3d28705&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&aff=boston
This one is pretty nice if you have your heart set on a pick up