PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Projects that HO's screwed up

Meezer
07-06-2010, 11:46 PM
In the last week, we received quite a few emails thru our website from HO's looking for a contractor to finish projects that they started.

Normally, It's been our policy to turn down these type of jobs out right.

However, 2 of these RFQ are from people in very upscale gated communities. Whenever we do a project in these places we end up picking up more work in the neighborhood. That's the positive. On the other hand, trying to repair/finish a cluster**** is sometimes not worth the hassle. So what would you guys do in this type of situation???

dgw
07-07-2010, 05:16 AM
have done a few

and told them i would need to start from scratch, in order to warranty the work

and that would include a few for removal of cluster****

forestfireguy
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I've qouted a few of these as well, always been my practice to say, sorry, we need to start with a clean slate, warranty, company image suffering if something we're connected to goes bad, Blah Blah Blah. Also don't forget that if you do a project with materials that they already have you lose the oppurtunity to mark them up, so make sure you're labor is 100% right, then pad it a little bit anyway.

shovelracer
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
my question is how many of you are actually landing these jobs. Ive redone a few, but years after they went wrong and started to become a hazard. Ive never landed a mid project redo. The usual response is that their work is fine and we just need to provide a few more days labor to finish what they started. Once we start talking from scratch they listen, but Ive already lost them.

PSUturf
07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
All of the ones I have looked at have to be re-done from scratch. I explain to them what was done wrong and how it must be done if I am to be involved with the project. Needless to say it winds up being much, much higher than their original investment (even if they hired some drunk from the local bar to do the work). I have never landed one of these jobs.

Meezer
07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Ive never landed a mid project redo. The usual response is that their work is fine and we just need to provide a few more days labor to finish what they started. Once we start talking from scratch they listen, but Ive already lost them.

Well I checked out the 2 in the gated communities. Both of the projects are so messed up. As you & others have mentioned, once I informed them that it needed to be started from scratch, I lost them.