PDA

View Full Version : hauling off rock

greenman
07-24-2002, 08:30 PM
I can price yard clean-ups and such but I am bidding on a job that I just don't really know how to price. Its a clean up job sortof but it is mainly hauling off rocks. All different sizes from fist size to some that will take two people to lift. How many rocks? If I was just using a pick up truck ( which I am not I have a trailer) it would be several trips to the landfill and back. It will definitely be an all day job, the dump is probably 15 minutes away, still have to unload the rocks. I don't have a dump bed. Should I rent a bob cat to move the rocks or just use wheel barrows? What should I charge just for my labor? $400, $500?

Currier
07-24-2002, 10:44 PM
First thing I'd do is plan on using some equip. probably the skid steer. Next, I'd find some small hauling outfit (preferably with a dump truck) and set up a plan of attack. Build all of it into your bill and add some serious profit. If some goober wats to underbid you let them! Imagine lifting and hauling and dumping all that rock = miserable.

Now imagine loading it with a skid and it is gone = decent.

greenman
07-24-2002, 10:53 PM
that would be a lot easier than man-handling it. I mainly do lawn maintenance and yard clean-ups so I am not too familiar with this.
Maybe I will just sub it out. Not really that big of a job, its just rocks are so heavy and hard to move. thanks

DaddyRabbit
07-25-2002, 06:40 AM
Moving Rock/heavy Rip is one of the most difficult tasks you'll ever do after it's placed on the ground and no longer piled up. You can get a 4in1 bucket but you can believe that you'll have some "hands on experience" before this job is done. I would definitely bid it accordingly. :eek: :eek:

LawnLad
07-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Depending on the site and the situation - if we have to dig out and remove rock/rubble, etc. we'll use a mini excavator. We wind up digging up some soil - but we just figure hauling it and brining back in new if required.

I have disassembled several boulder walls. This isn't too bad since they come out cleanly by hand and we put 'em into the bucket of a skid or dingo to load into the truck. Generally I save the rock then.

Removing rock from the ground is more of a pain - hence the reason we use an excavator. Just more collateral damage.

hosejockey2002
07-25-2002, 01:07 PM
I would rent a mini excavator with thumb and a 5 yard dump truck. If it were just me doing the work I would figure $50/hr for labor plus rental costs and dump fees.

paul
07-25-2002, 07:45 PM
I'm having a hard time with this, because it's really easy, a skid steer with a Preperator and a bucket would make short work of this job. I understand he dosn't have a dump truck which will slow him down some. I don't understand everyone wanting to use an excavator to dig out the soil! I have to ask how wide are your buckets on your excavators??? 4' or 5'??

dan deutekom
07-25-2002, 08:09 PM
Maybe I misunderstand the scope of this job but if it is just 2 pickup truck loads that isn,t a lot of rock. Hire a couple of strong high school kids, pick up the rocks and load onto your trailer. Dosn't sound like to big a deal. No wrecking of lawns or digging or equipment rental. It would be different if we were talking a big job.

greenman
07-25-2002, 09:10 PM
I think we will just man handle it. If I went some equipment it will cost quite a bit. With equipment, yes, this would be a quick, simple job, but I would not make as much money. Or I can just do it with a couple of guys and wheelbarrows, work like a dog, and make more money because I have the time. If I didn't have the time for it I would just sub it out. I should be able, with me and one more, to complete the job in 7 or 8 hours. The dumping fees will be less than $100 anyway. Pay my helper$100, and I make $400 or so. This is a new customer, they will have a lot more work for me.

DavidD
07-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Instead of Paying dumping fees look around and see if any building sites need fill they prefer dirt but most will take rock. :blob3: