PDA

View Full Version : City Mowing Rig

gavin478
07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Here's my new updated mowing setup. I still need to make some more changes to make it a permanent member of the fleet, but It's on it's way.

I have the Quick, a Honda 21, echo blower, and 2 string trimmers in the back.

It was a former police vehicle, I bought it dirt cheap and it only as 54k on the clock.

bobcat48
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Rock on man,lookin good,can u get some more pics of the handhelds,thanks.

gavin478
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
You don't wanna see my handhelds haha, My echo blower I've had for forever, but my trimmers are all home depot models.

As I mow foreclosed homes I come across all sorts of homelite's and ryobi's etc when I do shed cleanouts so thats what I use. I run them till they die then swap out for the next. I have 3 more working trimmers in storage and 3 more I'm yet to get running again.

bobcat48
07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
You don't wanna see my handhelds haha, My echo blower I've had for forever, but my trimmers are all home depot models.

As I mow foreclosed homes I come across all sorts of homelite's and ryobi's etc when I do shed cleanouts so thats what I use. I run them till they die then swap out for the next. I have 3 more working trimmers in storage and 3 more I'm yet to get running again.

yeah,hey so what,my stuff aint nothing to brag about,i got all homeowner stuff lower end echos and ryobi and poulan so dont worry,cub cadet 33'' and regular stuff but it gets the job sone and save money.

gavin478
07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Exactly, even my Honda mower I pulled out of a shed cleanout, I keep my overhead low and profits high. I laugh at everyone driving around with a pickup and a 16' trailer, getting 12mpg and spending 20k on equipment. I have less than 4k invested in my whole setup and I can make just as much as they can.

93Chevy
07-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I hope your Quick is electric start or you'd have a heck of a time pulling the recoil rope in that van. Good way to keep your overhead low. :)

Penscape Landscaping
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
SERIOUSLY! You think you are making as much money as these guys with trucks and commercial equipment? LMAO Your the reason why pros hate this biz! You come in in your mini van with non commercials, probably in cuit offs, none liabiltyt insured, no license to spray and you have signs that are every corner saying cuts starting at $10. I know i am bashing and everybody starts somewhere but we have to keep the green industry classy. I havwe heard from local Horticuilture teachers in NC that the state is going to try and mandate the landscape and lawn care biz just like irrigation. Licensing requirments! Good luck sorry to bash but buy a truck and trailer and commercial equipment!

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
LOL! I saw a guy the other day with a mower in the trunk of his car, his weed-eater and garbage cans and stuff in the back seat, I couldn't help but laugh... We've all started somewhere, some a little odd in my opinion....

exmark60
07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Rock on man,lookin good,can u get some more pics of the handhelds,thanks.

yeah,hey so what,my stuff aint nothing to brag about,i got all homeowner stuff lower end echos and ryobi and poulan so dont worry,cub cadet 33'' and regular stuff but it gets the job sone and save money.

You still haven't discovered the space bar?

gavin478
07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
SERIOUSLY! You think you are making as much money as these guys with trucks and commercial equipment? LMAO Your the reason why pros hate this biz! You come in in your mini van with non commercials, probably in cuit offs, none liabiltyt insured, no license to spray and you have signs that are every corner saying cuts starting at $10. I know i am bashing and everybody starts somewhere but we have to keep the green industry classy. I havwe heard from local Horticuilture teachers in NC that the state is going to try and mandate the landscape and lawn care biz just like irrigation. Licensing requirments! Good luck sorry to bash but buy a truck and trailer and commercial equipment!

HAHA

Ive had a truck, trailer, and mowers that cost 10k in the past, which is why I can laugh. I actually still have my GMC, and It's my personal vehicle now.

I run an LLC, which is fully insured, as well as the van is owned by the company and carries full insurance. I am not licensed but I only do maintenance work which falls under not needing licensing in the state. If I were to branch out further I would follow the necessary legal requirements. I have employees and run payroll legally also.

As far as $10 cuts?, I won't fire up the mower for less than $30, and actually normally make more than that. My current revenue from foreclosed properties runs close to $95 an hour with expenses running around $15 an hour not including labor costs, which are around $18 an hour.

Although I may not look it, I am a professional service provider, I don't need to spend $20k on new fancy gas guzzling equipment to give you a run for your money. I hope that everyone here can take this as an example of an efficient, clean setup before they buy that next big purchase. I have made labor rather than equipment the variable cost in my business model, and as gas and equipment costs continue to rise we may see more people doing the same.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Well what's works for some may not work for everyone, can I ask what you do with all your grass clippings & debris from trimming, etc...??

THEGOLDPRO
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
this is a joke right?

Cummins343
07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
SERIOUSLY! You think you are making as much money as these guys with trucks and commercial equipment? LMAO Your the reason why pros hate this biz! You come in in your mini van with non commercials, probably in cuit offs, none liabiltyt insured, no license to spray and you have signs that are every corner saying cuts starting at $10. I know i am bashing and everybody starts somewhere but we have to keep the green industry classy. I havwe heard from local Horticuilture teachers in NC that the state is going to try and mandate the landscape and lawn care biz just like irrigation. Licensing requirments! Good luck sorry to bash but buy a truck and trailer and commercial equipment!Wow, I mean really? You've absolutley bashed this guy. You know why they'll never mandate those requirements? Cause this job requires 0 education. 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could be a complete moron and run something like this. Quit bashing on this guy cause you have no room to talk. I mow part-time and have nicer and more equipment than you so shut your mouth son.

jntaylor
07-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Despite some of the negative comments, I actually think this guys setup is quite smart and economical. For instance, having a small self-contained unit makes parking easier, reduces fuel consumption, and allows him to service smaller urban yards around the city. I like it!

Govt' and state owned vehicles are always a good deal, plus they are regularly maintained. I purchased my 98' Silverado 1/2 ton 4X4 for $2000 cash.

blakerugg
07-08-2010, 12:29 AM
HAHA

Ive had a truck, trailer, and mowers that cost 10k in the past, which is why I can laugh. I actually still have my GMC, and It's my personal vehicle now.

I run an LLC, which is fully insured, as well as the van is owned by the company and carries full insurance. I am not licensed but I only do maintenance work which falls under not needing licensing in the state. If I were to branch out further I would follow the necessary legal requirements. I have employees and run payroll legally also.

As far as $10 cuts?, I won't fire up the mower for less than $30, and actually normally make more than that. My current revenue from foreclosed properties runs close to $95 an hour with expenses running around $15 an hour not including labor costs, which are around $18 an hour.

Although I may not look it, I am a professional service provider, I don't need to spend $20k on new fancy gas guzzling equipment to give you a run for your money. I hope that everyone here can take this as an example of an efficient, clean setup before they buy that next big purchase. I have made labor rather than equipment the variable cost in my business model, and as gas and equipment costs continue to rise we may see more people doing the same.

all i can say is: :clapping:

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
07-08-2010, 12:31 AM
What about the debris, I don't know about you but we have 6-10 Garbage cans full per day of trimmings and grass....

gavin478
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM
What about the debris, I don't know about you but we have 6-10 Garbage cans full per day of trimmings and grass....

Around here we can just discharge the fescue right out or mulch it. No debris cleanup is necessary. All we do is a quick blow off the sidewalks and were good. Grass on these lawns is often cut from 7" down to 3", the clumps are cut up pretty easily. We sometimes leave a mess but it is not a concern of most of our clients.

The spring can be really bad with foot tall cuts, but double or triple cutting over small areas leaves a nice finish.
Posted via Mobile Device

2brothersyardcare
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM
well have fun with that

gavin478
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Despite some of the negative comments, I actually think this guys setup is quite smart and economical. For instance, having a small self-contained unit makes parking easier, reduces fuel consumption, and allows him to service smaller urban yards around the city. I like it!

Govt' and state owned vehicles are always a good deal, plus they are regularly maintained. I purchased my 98' Silverado 1/2 ton 4X4 for $2000 cash.
Posted via Mobile Device

gavin478
07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Correct, we only service yards under 15k sq feet, so this setup is very efficient, easy to park, and saves on gas while eliminating the need to unload at the end of the day.

I paid only 1k for the van, its a 99 with 54k miles, passed inspection here without a hitch. It had a new exhaust and tires on it to when I purchased it. However not show to well is some bad repair work on the trunk, and paint peeling in a few places. My next project is to repaint the hood and touch up rust on the roof. It also still has the police number painted on the roof haha
Posted via Mobile Device

TurboPirate
07-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Here's my new updated mowing setup. I still need to make some more changes to make it a permanent member of the fleet, but It's on it's way.

It was a former police vehicle, I bought it dirt cheap and it only as 54k on the clock.

I see some RYOBI trimmers in the mini van, the real business is to deliver an excellent job, this job can be done with commercial and non commercial equipment, check my signature, I have commercial equipment and since I see non commercial does the job I'll never spend $ on Commercial grade trimmers and stuff, I'll stay with the cost efficient equipment.

1993lx172
07-08-2010, 01:58 AM
HAHA

Good enough for me. If it works for you then keep it up. The others, as are most of us here on Lawnsite, are trying hard to show our industry in a better light. To move peoples perception of of us from Joe Shmoe working for beer money, to real legitimate, businesses that most if not all of you are. My advice to you is to keep up the good work and get that van lettered up and looking professional. Good luck to you sir.

Around my area there are a lot of subdivisions 1/4-1/3 of an acre or less with very narrow streets and very little room for a long rig. For guys that have accounts in tight quarters these rigs work. I ramp my mower into the back of my truck and still have room for everything I need and still look uncluttered and neat, I don't have the need nor the room for a trailer. If I had bigger equipment like a Ztr or a walkbehind over 48" then I would get one but for what I have to do it works for me. Look at it like this, if you have a lot of yards that require like a 36" or a 48" wb in say a subdivision with narrow roads and not a whole lot of room to maneuver. Wouldn't a set up say like a commercial van (like a plumbers or carpenters van, the ones the police are always looking for) or a half to 3/4 ton truck without a trailer make sense?

1993lx172
07-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Oh that reminds me, check the bolts on the mufflers on your Ryobi's they have a tendency to shear off in the block and you can not drill them out, trust me I broke four drill bits before saying "screw it" and buying my Sthil. I had a BC30 and it was a good trimmer, but I wouldn't go back.

suavematt
07-08-2010, 09:00 AM
HAha, Right Awn' Man! Love the mini-van haha... Keep awn' keepin' awn' & screw the "nay-sayers" & "haters". Work hard & do good work & it'll pay for itself.

Later!

~ :cool: Suave'

Capemay Eagle
07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
For most people that have never worked in the city, smaller is better. If you are running a full size with a trailer you will be circling the block quit a bit looking for enough room to park and unload. This is a smart set up for city work. Slip in and out, this is a big time saver.

Capemay Eagle
07-08-2010, 09:52 AM
For most people that have never worked in the city, smaller is better. If you are running a full size with a trailer you will be circling the block quit a bit looking for enough room to park and unload. This is a smart set up for city work. Slip in and out, this is a big time saver, but you could still achieve the same thing with say a Ford Ranger and you would have the option to haul some debris.

FiveOJoe
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Caught this rig going down the road the other day. Looked like a Ford Ranger?? Based on the gate I'm guessing he only uses those two push mowers.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/fiveojoe/DSCN2844.jpg?t=1278594167

Open Doors
07-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Ghetto Fabulous!!!

Hey, in Bmore, what are you charging for mowing?(by the hour or foot)

gavin478
07-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Ghetto Fabulous!!!

Hey, in Bmore, what are you charging for mowing?(by the hour or foot)

I charge 30 a cut for lots under 7000sq ft, and $5 more for every 2000 sq ft more, however 90% of my lawns are under 8000. Foreclosed work pays a bit more, with up to 60 a cut if the lawn is 15000 sq ft or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerdude777
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I also use a mini van (for now truck comming next year) but you really should get a trailer it will be easier for you, what do you do with cleanups though.

DJJS
07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm all for keeping overhead low and not buying a bunch of sh*t you don't need, and I know how much of a headache it can be getting a truck and trailer around tight city streets, we do it everyday, but there's no way that setups as profitable as real commercial equipment. Also, what do you do if you're doing mulch, cleanups, trimming hedges or anything other then mowing? Homeowners around here would laugh and never hire the guy running a minivan, even if you are insured and legit, even if you do great work and even if you charge real prices, your setup screams hack, even if your business doesn't

I have commercial equipment and since I see non commercial does the job I'll never spend $ on Commercial grade trimmers and stuff, I'll stay with the cost efficient equipment. if non-commercial equipment can keep up with your work load, you don't have enough work, unless you're only part time.

Mark Oomkes
07-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Correct, we only service yards under 15k sq feet, so this setup is very efficient, easy to park, and saves on gas while eliminating the need to unload at the end of the day.

I paid only 1k for the van, its a 99 with 54k miles, passed inspection here without a hitch. It had a new exhaust and tires on it to when I purchased it. However not show to well is some bad repair work on the trunk, and paint peeling in a few places. My next project is to repaint the hood and touch up rust on the roof. It also still has the police number painted on the roof haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Excellent innovation there.

Never mind the small minded haters, they're, well, small minded.

I'm all for keeping overhead low and not buying a bunch of sh*t you don't need, and I know how much of a headache it can be getting a truck and trailer around tight city streets, we do it everyday, but there's no way that setups as profitable as real commercial equipment. Also, what do you do if you're doing mulch, cleanups, trimming hedges or anything other then mowing? Homeowners around here would laugh and never hire the guy running a minivan, even if you are insured and legit, even if you do great work and even if you charge real prices, your setup screams hack, even if your business doesn't

if non-commercial equipment can keep up with your work load, you don't have enough work, unless you're only part time.

Did you read the part where he doesn't do anything but mowing foreclosures?

Necessity is the mother of invention.

YardFarmersLLC
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey, I'm glad it works for you. I couldn't pull it off, but good luck. Around here folks want someone who provides Mowing, Tree trimming, Bush Hogging, Bobcat, and excavation services. So, we have to go big. I may not have a huge wad of cash laying around, but I invest my profits in things that pay off over the long run, and if grass dries up, I have a million other things I can do.

clean_cut
07-08-2010, 05:11 PM

I bet you make a lot more pocket money with that rig than everyone else with a $35,000 truck, and $20,000 of equipment.

Just make sure you pay taxes, have insurance, etc.

gavin478
07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I bet you make a lot more pocket money with that rig than everyone else with a $35,000 truck, and $20,000 of equipment.

Just make sure you pay taxes, have insurance, etc.

To reiterate yes we pay taxes, are insured, workers comp etc etc. A s far as those asking about cleanups, we do mostly maintenace work trimming back bushes and such, but rarely mulching. I can use my Sierra if I really need a truck, but most debris we can leave on the street here bagged up so cleanup is never an issue.

To those who have suggested a Ranger or the like, I did consider that option, but the value in the van is having everything locked and away as soon as I park it, which cuts around 20 minutes off my day. I live in College Park and leaving equipment out in the open is not always a good idea.

My eventual shift will be to a chevy 2500 van or so. Id like to hold a quick 44 and 32 in the rear with similar ramps setup, and some proper shelving to hold trimmers and such.

Finally to those who have criticized me on non commercial equipment, we run the Quick 36 day in and out and it performs great. I rarely use the honda 21, and we have a commercial echo blower. Trimmers are home depot models just because they're free for me, I just carry 2 all the time and never have an issue. If I didn't have 3 more working ryobi/homelite brand trimmers ready in waiting (that I got for free) I would have some motivation to go buy a stihl. I outfit them with .95 line, replace with bump heads, trim the guards, use straight shafts, and they work great.

Hoy landscaping
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
No offense but id hate working for you in that thing! even though i have been looking into a WB in the back of a pickup so i don't have to park the rig on busy roads. it works for you and looks pretty efficient.

BINKY1902
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't know what you have seperating the front of that van from the back but if you ever have a wreck that could get dangerous. That Quick has to be about 500 lbs. Ever saw what happens to stuff in a car when wrecking and rolling over? Not bashing, just wondering if you have considered safety.

Turf Commando
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Excellent innovation there.

Never mind the small minded haters, they're, well, small minded.

I agree mark...
Sleek set-up for a van, love the ramps....

dhunterd08
07-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Everyone has their own business plan. What is extremely profitable for one company is a failure for another. The bottom line comes down to cost structure. 3 guys at 10 dollars an hour with trim mowers can accomplish what one man can with a lazer. One style depends on variable costs(labor) and one depends on fixed cost(capital goods). It comes down to how much profitable work is available. All that matters is the number by net income. Although the last 3 years I have expanded a great deal, from 14-17 years old I pushed a snapper down the street or lifted it in the back of the truck. I had no friends who made half of what i did. I applaud your setup. No Herculiner needed! lol

shepoutside
07-09-2010, 03:26 AM
I like, and understand your set-up. I now work out of my Pick-up 3 days a week, with ramps and 36" WB, etc, because that is all that is needed for the small lots that my area has. There is no room for parking with a trailer, so a set up like this is a wonderful thing. The other days I do factories, and do haul a trailer with the larger machines. You need to run what works best for your situation. Looks good, and understand the locking of equipment at days end. Bravo!!

yardguy28
07-09-2010, 08:48 PM
HAHA

i don't think so and i certainly hope not......

the proper equipment for this job is a truck, trailer and commercial grade equipment. not a van STUFFED full of homeowner equipment.

i know you have to start somewhere but it's not hard to start with a truck and trailer and commercial equipment.

when i started i went out sold my car, got a full size pick up, a 5' x 10' trailer and a 36" exmark walkbehind. i already had a stihl br400 blower and i will admit i did start by using a home owner ryobi trimmer but that quickly took a sheot and a stihl trimmer was purchased.

i've been in the business 4 years now and from day one i was fully insured. i now pull a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer loaded with all commercial equipment.

image is part of the business whether you like it or not. if you look like a scrub you will be percieved as a scrub.

gavin478
07-11-2010, 01:27 PM

the proper equipment for this job is a truck, trailer and commercial grade equipment. not a van STUFFED full of homeowner equipment.

i know you have to start somewhere but it's not hard to start with a truck and trailer and commercial equipment.

when i started i went out sold my car, got a full size pick up, a 5' x 10' trailer and a 36" exmark walkbehind. i already had a stihl br400 blower and i will admit i did start by using a home owner ryobi trimmer but that quickly took a sheot and a stihl trimmer was purchased.

i've been in the business 4 years now and from day one i was fully insured. i now pull a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer loaded with all commercial equipment.

image is part of the business whether you like it or not. if you look like a scrub you will be percieved as a scrub.
Posted via Mobile Device

gavin478
07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I've been in the business for 8 years. You say that I 'need' a truck and trailer, but id love to see your setup come down and mow lawns in DC with me, park in alley ways and service properties in the city, my setup works, don't bash.

And why am I still getting crap for homeowner equipment, will somebody tell these people the Quick is a commercial unit. And yes I guess ill go buy a Stihl trimmer to shut you guys up, they're nice and all but what I have really does work just as well for my uses. And yes my honda is a resi too, but I literally use it on one property a week, so I can't justify buying a commercial one.

Also, once again why does my image matter? If you took the time to read you would see I service foreclosed homes for 90% of my work, my clients don't care if I run my operation out of the trunk of my car, so long as the work gets done
Posted via Mobile Device

a clear difference lawn
07-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Not bashing you - if your working and making money more power to you. I just have one question. If it is raining and you have to roll up your windows - do you have harsh gas fumes?? I sometimes put my blower into the truck when it is pouring because I have a cover for the other handhelds. Even with just that one piece of equipment the fumes are pretty rough.

yardguy28
07-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I've been in the business for 8 years. You say that I 'need' a truck and trailer, but id love to see your setup come down and mow lawns in DC with me, park in alley ways and service properties in the city, my setup works, don't bash.

And why am I still getting crap for homeowner equipment, will somebody tell these people the Quick is a commercial unit. And yes I guess ill go buy a Stihl trimmer to shut you guys up, they're nice and all but what I have really does work just as well for my uses. And yes my honda is a resi too, but I literally use it on one property a week, so I can't justify buying a commercial one.

Also, once again why does my image matter? If you took the time to read you would see I service foreclosed homes for 90% of my work, my clients don't care if I run my operation out of the trunk of my car, so long as the work gets done
Posted via Mobile Device

most of the clients i service are in the city and alley ways as well. i have no problem parking my full size long bed pick up with 6' x 12' trailer behind it.

i'll give you the quick mower and if you truely use the honda on one prop i'll give you that too. but the rest of the equipment needs to be commercial. why you ask. because it will last a hell of a lot longer. i know from experience. my home owner trimmer didn't make it through one season before it shut down.

image is sometimes what gets your business. i don't know what people are like in DC but around here people don't want some guy pulling up in a van or someone that works out of the trunk of there car. that screams scrub and scrubs aren't insured and don't usually do that great of work. i suppose it your running an operation where you just knock grass down and leave its ok but most doing this business service commercial and high end residentials. people that want things looking perfect.

Not bashing you - if your working and making money more power to you. I just have one question. If it is raining and you have to roll up your windows - do you have harsh gas fumes?? I sometimes put my blower into the truck when it is pouring because I have a cover for the other handhelds. Even with just that one piece of equipment the fumes are pretty rough.

yes we are!!!!!

shepoutside
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
the proper equipment for this job is a truck, trailer. not a van.

Where is this rule posted? :dizzy:

yardguy28
07-11-2010, 02:46 PM

common sense my friend.............:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

dgw
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
cuttin grass, is cutting grass, some guys make way to much of it

insecurity i would imagine

i have bid hundreds of jobs from my car

and never has a customer asked if we will arrive in a truck and trailer with stihl equipment

stihls crap anyway, buy redmax:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1st class grass
07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
cuttin grass, is cutting grass, some guys make way to much of it

insecurity i would imagine

i have bid hundreds of jobs from my car

and never has a customer asked if we will arrive in a truck and trailer with stihl equipment

stihls crap anyway, buy redmax:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I agree....with this except the stihl crap part.....this isnt rocket science..

whosedog
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
That looks safer than running a walk behind up ramps that aren't connected by a hinge to a truck bed,also because the van is lower than most trucks,the ramps can be short.I had unsecured ramps slip out from atv,s and snow blowers a few times,scary stuff!

93Chevy
07-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow, some guys need to calm down. I guess I'd get beat up also because my truck is a '95.

To the OP, given your situation, mindset, etc...the only difference in your operation would be to work out of a 1 ton van instead of a minivan. But that's mostly because I don't like minivans. :laugh:

DitchDr
07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow someone has found a way to make money and they rest with their "million dollar business plans" come out of the wood work to tell him he doing it wrong..

Bottom line it work for HIM, hes not pushing it on you, hes not telling you your stupid for towing a trailer, or for using Stihl equipment, or spending more on a truck then he has in his entire rig..

Here is some free advise for all of you who know how to do it better..

SHUT YOUR DICK SUCKER AND GO MOW!!!!!!

WGrnd21
07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Do the gas and exhaust fuems bother you at all due to the equipment being enclosed in the van???

WGrnd21
07-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Do you ever turn the lights on when your in a hurry to mow a lawn?

JB1
07-11-2010, 07:50 PM
looks good, I'm sure it smells good to with the gas and all.

yardguy28
07-11-2010, 07:54 PM
That looks safer than running a walk behind up ramps that aren't connected by a hinge to a truck bed,also because the van is lower than most trucks,the ramps can be short.I had unsecured ramps slip out from atv,s and snow blowers a few times,scary stuff!

right theres one good reason to use a truck with trailer. it's much, much safer and easier to load and unload your mowers.

i would never use any type of system that involved the type of ramps he is using in his mini van or that people use for trucks.

all my equipment is loaded on my trailer. i never have to worry about ramps slipping out from underneath. no fumes to breath in while driving.

it might not be a rule to have a truck and trailer but it is the best option. and i have had people enquire about what type of equipment i will be using on there property and what i haul it in.

93Chevy
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
right theres one good reason to use a truck with trailer. it's much, much safer and easier to load and unload your mowers.

i would never use any type of system that involved the type of ramps he is using in his mini van or that people use for trucks.

all my equipment is loaded on my trailer. i never have to worry about ramps slipping out from underneath. no fumes to breath in while driving.

it might not be a rule to have a truck and trailer but it is the best option. and i have had people enquire about what type of equipment i will be using on there property and what i haul it in.

What about cabover trucks with landscape bodies? They don't use trailers and they're very efficient.

yardguy28
07-11-2010, 08:07 PM
What about cabover trucks with landscape bodies? They don't use trailers and they're very efficient.

i've never used one and they aren't for me.

the truck i use is also my personal vehicle. if i were to use a cabover i'd have to have another vehicle as a personal vehicle.

in my opinion the ramps are to steep but they are possible to use. IMO i can still manuever a truck and trailer into a small street better than a large cabover.

i use to think about getting a landscape dump truck but that would make my rig that much larger and i'd have a very hard time getting down a few of my clients street much less allow anyone room to pass through the street. they already inch by my trailer. at least once they hit the truck area they have more room.

gavin478
07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Hey all,

So yes my initial setup was going to be a 3/4 ton van with similar ramps, and yes a bit more room inside to hold equipment. As I was arranging how to come up with 7k to buy a nice used one, this auction came up. After being sure the quick would fit inside, I decided I would only buy if I could get it really cheap. I was able to get it for about 1/3 of the KBB on it, so I justified it as a temporary solution for this season that would allow me to get this new business moving.

To those that complain of gas fumes, yes I know the scents and I hate carrying a blower in the backseat of my Sierra. But, in the van the scent is there, but not nearly as much. I keep the rear windows open most anytime, unless its gonna sit in the rain overnight, and I always take out the gas cans at the end of the day. I can smell some gas, but its never bad and I never sense 'fumes'.

As far as safety is concerned, the quick is held in place, but I would still have issues in a rollover situation. There is a cage protecting the cab, but I'm yet to figure out how to quickly hold the quick in for such a situation.

And finally thanks to everyone that's been hating on the haters and understands where I'm coming from. If you mow 2+ acre properties all day I can see having all the stuff. Even back a few years ago I had a truck, trailer, and zero turns to do resi work. What I have is from my experience, knowing I need to carry, what is the best equipment for the job, and judging the trade offs in both time, money, reliability, and image. For my clients, employees, company, and myself, a van setup was the best option from the get go.

And no I don't flick on the lights to run through traffic. :) However, we often have to make quick stops in intersections to photograph street signs, we flick them on then as an added safety measure.:

yardguy28
07-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Hey all,

So yes my initial setup was going to be a 3/4 ton van with similar ramps, and yes a bit more room inside to hold equipment. As I was arranging how to come up with 7k to buy a nice used one, this auction came up. After being sure the quick would fit inside, I decided I would only buy if I could get it really cheap. I was able to get it for about 1/3 of the KBB on it, so I justified it as a temporary solution for this season that would allow me to get this new business moving.

To those that complain of gas fumes, yes I know the scents and I hate carrying a blower in the backseat of my Sierra. But, in the van the scent is there, but not nearly as much. I keep the rear windows open most anytime, unless its gonna sit in the rain overnight, and I always take out the gas cans at the end of the day. I can smell some gas, but its never bad and I never sense 'fumes'.

As far as safety is concerned, the quick is held in place, but I would still have issues in a rollover situation. There is a cage protecting the cab, but I'm yet to figure out how to quickly hold the quick in for such a situation.

And finally thanks to everyone that's been hating on the haters and understands where I'm coming from. If you mow 2+ acre properties all day I can see having all the stuff. Even back a few years ago I had a truck, trailer, and zero turns to do resi work. What I have is from my experience, knowing I need to carry, what is the best equipment for the job, and judging the trade offs in both time, money, reliability, and image. For my clients, employees, company, and myself, a van setup was the best option from the get go.

And no I don't flick on the lights to run through traffic. :) However, we often have to make quick stops in intersections to photograph street signs, we flick them on then as an added safety measure.:

i don't have any 2+ acre properties.........

all my propertys are anywhere from postage stamps lawns up to 3/4 of an acre.

Will P.C.
07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
If you ever showed up ringing my doorbell, I would either
1. Ask you to get off my property
2. Not open the door.

Sure, you may be ahead right now cutting "gov housing" and foreclosures, but you will never be able to expand and grow your business. You will remain stagnant with your most expensive job paying you 60 dollars.

I have seen some small professional setups that could navigate around a city.

Having a professional image allows you to branch out and do other things and take on bigger paying jobs.

As previously stated, that is not a safe option if you get into a wreck.

eatonpcat
07-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow.. You guys are tuff... I remember a thread where some kid was riding around on a golf cart pulling a tiny trailer and half the guys on here thought he was the king. Give the guy a break, If he's making cash and paying his bills, What do you care.

93Chevy
07-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Wow.. You guys are tuff... I remember a thread where some kid was riding around on a golf cart pulling a tiny trailer and half the guys on here thought he was the king. Give the guy a break, If he's making cash and paying his bills, What do you care.

LOL, I remember that thread. He was talking about his "crews" between landscaping and car detailing.

gavin478
07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
i don't have any 2+ acre properties.........

all my propertys are anywhere from postage stamps lawns up to 3/4 of an acre.

Ok well that works for you, I run around the same lot sizes and can cut them just fine with what I have. The 36 is sometimes too small for our larger lawns, but the extra bit of time taken on those few lawns is not worth the expense. Id be looking at an extra cost of around 4k for a larger vehicle to save maybe 1 hour each week. Like has been said it's certainly not for everyone, but there's no hard and fast rule of how to work in the lawn biz.

Ok so I get it, my image can be a bit tainted, but from my perspective this whole business works. I work a 9-5 job outside of this industry, I can have employees out working and not have to worry about customer complains or client meetings. I have a steady, predictable, and lucrative market to work in, and I can expand my capacity easily, and I can forecast costs and benefits with ease. I don't have a desire to expand further, I hate mulching and landscaping on any property but my own, but I've always enjoyed cutting grass. You client focused guys are great, and you have your market and clients to work in. For me, I have my market and my clients and what I have has been met with no complaints.

Mark Oomkes
07-12-2010, 08:59 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 years and you're an expert?

Wish I knew as much as you, I've been in the industry over 30 and I still don't know squat. I sure don't know enough to be telling someone else with a different business plan, different overhead, different customers, different profit requirements how they should be running their business.

Hope someday I'm as smart as you.

most of the clients i service are in the city and alley ways as well. i have no problem parking my full size long bed pick up with 6' x 12' trailer behind it.

Goody gumdrops, you're not the OP and he's not you. If it works for him, who in the world are you to say he is doing it wrong?

i'll give you the quick mower and if you truely use the honda on one prop i'll give you that too. but the rest of the equipment needs to be commercial. why you ask. because it will last a hell of a lot longer. i know from experience. my home owner trimmer didn't make it through one season before it shut down.

image is sometimes what gets your business. i don't know what people are like in DC but around here people don't want some guy pulling up in a van or someone that works out of the trunk of there car. that screams scrub and scrubs aren't insured and don't usually do that great of work. i suppose it your running an operation where you just knock grass down and leave its ok but most doing this business service commercial and high end residentials. people that want things looking perfect.

Maybe you missed the part where he said he is doing foreclosures. Ya think that might have anything to do with his setup and his possible lack of care for his image at this point in time?

Did you consider the possibility that this isn't his only crew and his others are brand new or all fully lettered, etc?

I have no idea what his other crews look like, but before acting like you know for a fact how this guy operates his entire business, you may want to consider the possibilities.

yes we are!!!!!

Page 1 of yardguy's upcoming autobiography:

"How to know everything there is to know about the green industry if 4 short years".

Really, you have statistics proving your assertion?

So what, you're not the OP. That's what makes America great, everyone coming up with a way to do something that works better for him\her.

And the OP doesn't have to worry about registering and insuring and storing another "vehicle". He is also far more productive because he has infinitely more options to park his vehicle.

I applaud his innovation.

Will this be explained on page 2 in the soon to be released autobiography?

i've never used one and they aren't for me.

How could anyone actually say this if they haven't had personal experience?

the truck i use is also my personal vehicle. if i were to use a cabover i'd have to have another vehicle as a personal vehicle.

Well, maybe a real perfushionil would have a work vehicle and a personal vehicle.

in my opinion the ramps are to steep but they are possible to use. IMO i can still manuever a truck and trailer into a small street better than a large cabover.

Who said anything about a large cabover?

i use to think about getting a landscape dump truck but that would make my rig that much larger and i'd have a very hard time getting down a few of my clients street much less allow anyone room to pass through the street. they already inch by my trailer. at least once they hit the truck area they have more room.

Ok well that works for you, I run around the same lot sizes and can cut them just fine with what I have. The 36 is sometimes too small for our larger lawns, but the extra bit of time taken on those few lawns is not worth the expense. Id be looking at an extra cost of around 4k for a larger vehicle to save maybe 1 hour each week. Like has been said it's certainly not for everyone, but there's no hard and fast rule of how to work in the lawn biz.

Ok so I get it, my image can be a bit tainted, but from my perspective this whole business works. I work a 9-5 job outside of this industry, I can have employees out working and not have to worry about customer complains or client meetings. I have a steady, predictable, and lucrative market to work in, and I can expand my capacity easily, and I can forecast costs and benefits with ease. I don't have a desire to expand further, I hate mulching and landscaping on any property but my own, but I've always enjoyed cutting grass. You client focused guys are great, and you have your market and clients to work in. For me, I have my market and my clients and what I have has been met with no complaints.

Oh boy, now you did it. You have a F\T job and you do this on the side. Now the small minded haters are really going to let you have it because you're a scrub\scab\lowballer\ruining the industry\blah, blah, blah.

Keep it up, I think you have a great plan and if it works for you, so much the better.

But what do I know? I don't have near the experience that others have.

Penscape Landscaping
07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
2. Not open the door.

Sure, you may be ahead right now cutting "gov housing" and foreclosures, but you will never be able to expand and grow your business. You will remain stagnant with your most expensive job paying you 60 dollars.

Having a professional image allows you to branch out and do other things and take on bigger paying jobs.

My point exactly! Thank you I am not bashing you but you have to realize people paying big money expect professionals!

poncho62
07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people......ever.

yardguy28
07-12-2010, 12:18 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 years and you're an expert?

Wish I knew as much as you, I've been in the industry over 30 and I still don't know squat. I sure don't know enough to be telling someone else with a different business plan, different overhead, different customers, different profit requirements how they should be running their business.

Hope someday I'm as smart as you.

Page 1 of yardguy's upcoming autobiography:

"How to know everything there is to know about the green industry if 4 short years".

Will this be explained on page 2 in the soon to be released autobiography?

Oh boy, now you did it. You have a F\T job and you do this on the side. Now the small minded haters are really going to let you have it because you're a scrub\scab\lowballer\ruining the industry\blah, blah, blah.

Keep it up, I think you have a great plan and if it works for you, so much the better.

But what do I know? I don't have near the experience that others have.

i'm not even going to comment on your thoughts.

i don't have time for @ssholes like you assuming i'm giving more than just my opinion and what i've learned in the 4 years i've been in business.

Mark Oomkes
07-12-2010, 03:07 PM
i'm not even going to comment on your thoughts.

i don't have time for @ssholes like you assuming i'm giving more than just my opinion and what i've learned in the 4 years i've been in business.

Hugs and kisses to you too! :drinkup:

grass pro llc
07-12-2010, 04:06 PM

Open up mouth, insert foot!!

flatlander42
07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I'd take the good mpg and deal with the nay-sayers. The lights and blue stickers....those would look better not on the van tho.

dgw
07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
dont worry 90% of people dont care what you pull up in to cut your grass

70% of them wont even be there

most of the people dogging you probably make 8 bucks an hour

Coumbe
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
2. Not open the door.

You can make a lot of money doing foreclosures, and I mean a lot. I do it. You can disperse the clippings blow and go. I did/ do this in the Houston area and grew like a weed. People don't like it sometimes because you get 1099's and you have to pay 20-35K a year in taxes. I think the guy is right on track. I want my check account to look big time, not my set up. Debt sucks and most of the time you don't need it to get it done.

yardguy28
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
You can make a lot of money doing foreclosures, and I mean a lot. I do it. You can disperse the clippings blow and go. I did/ do this in the Houston area and grew like a weed. People don't like it sometimes because you get 1099's and you have to pay 20-35K a year in taxes. I think the guy is right on track. I want my check account to look big time, not my set up. Debt sucks and most of the time you don't need it to get it done.

i guess if you wanna do the propertys the pro's won't touch all the time then he can use his scrubby setup.

i didn't get into business to just knock down the grass and go. even my basic mowing service consists of more than just mow, blow and go. and as my business continues to grow i get pickier and pickier about who i take on a client.

this industy use to be a very professional industry. nowadays it's full of fly by nighters using there vans, SUV's and cars stuffed with homeowner equipment knocking down any grass they can find.

i guess i shouldn't complain though. they can have those clients that just want there grass knocked down every week no matter what it looks like when the job is done. i'll take the clients that actually care what there property looks like. there the one's that you can build a trusting relationship with that will use your services year after year because you do quality work and not drop you at the first sign of someone cheaper.

gavin478
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I have chosen foreclosures over residentials. I have found that I can make more money with minimal hassles and easier work. I do run a seperate business doing high end work, but I would rather spend less time working and make more money for it.

Also, the van is my work vehicle. I have a seperate truck as my personal vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I have chosen foreclosures over residentials. I have found that I can make more money with minimal hassles and easier work. I do run a seperate business doing high end work, but I would rather spend less time working and make more money for it.

Also, the van is my work vehicle. I have a seperate truck as my personal vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

@ss backwards if you ask me :hammerhead:

bradseabridge
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
no ones asking.

gavin478
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
no ones asking.

Well the truck will be sold in the next year or so, and I enjoy having it not full of equipment for a change
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
no ones asking.

ok well then it's just @ss backwards then

shepoutside
07-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Thumbs Upno ones asking.Thumbs Up

Mark Oomkes
07-13-2010, 08:34 AM
i guess if you wanna do the propertys the pro's won't touch all the time then he can use his scrubby setup.

Define professional.

Is it someone who knows their costs, charges accordingly and even will find a more efficient way to increase profits while maintaining labor and overhead costs?

Why do you think pro's only run new equipment?

Why does your definition of a pro require someone to run new equipment?

poncho62
07-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Funny thing.....I have seen so many people in various businesses play the big success game, with their fancy top of the line trucks, cars and equipment....all the do dads, "I" phones, yada, yada, yada..........and fail...they get way overextended, jump in way to fast with too much debt.

Nice to see a guy doing well with what he knows he can afford......

gavin478
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the support guys.

I personally hate being in debt and would rather save up to pay cash than extending myself too far.

Here's some pics from yesterday, some shots of the interior, and my side mirror that recently fell victim to a ryder truck hit and run. Some of a residential lawn I cut for a landlord, and a foreclosed lawn, which is the biggest property I've ever cut with the quick. (The guy before me used a 21! OUCH, I hope it was at least self propelled)

I'll give you some more when I get back from my day, who know's what I'll find today (I'm on break from my 9-5 until the end of the month btw) Doing a first cut service on one property, and visiting some in DC that will take 3 minutes to cut with a trimmer.

bradseabridge
07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
no wonder that house got foreclosed. I'm actually jealous of your rig and your jobs doing foreclosures. I need to find some.

93Chevy
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
YOU COULD EASILY FIT A TRUCK AND TRAILER IN THAT DRIVEWAY. I COULD FIT A 60' SEMI IN THAT DRIVEWAY. '

:rolleyes:

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Define professional.

Is it someone who knows their costs, charges accordingly and even will find a more efficient way to increase profits while maintaining labor and overhead costs?

Why do you think pro's only run new equipment?

Why does your definition of a pro require someone to run new equipment?

show me where i posted that professional has to run NEW equipment :confused:

i consider a professional someone with a professional looking set up. which is a truck and trailer with commercial grade equipment. most of there clients are those that care about the overall appearance of there property.

i never said he had to use new equipment. i even admitted i fouled because he does have a quick mower. and i gave him the fact that he only uses the 21 incher on one property so it's not finacially wise to invest in a commercial 21.

but that van and the home owner trimmer and blower gotta go.

considering the pic's he recently posted and the type of work he is getting and the quality (or lack of IMO) that he is doing his rig suits him just fine. i sure wouldn't touch those type of properties. not unless they are looking to get it into shape.

93Chevy
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM

i consider a professional someone with a professional looking set up. which is a truck and trailer with commercial grade equipment. most of there clients are those that care about the overall appearance of there property.

i never said he had to use new equipment. i even admitted i fouled because he does have a quick mower. and i gave him the fact that he only uses the 21 incher on one property so it's not finacially wise to invest in a commercial 21.

considering the pic's he recently posted and the type of work he is getting and the quality (or lack of IMO) that he is doing his rig suits him just fine. i sure wouldn't touch those type of properties. not unless they are looking to get it into shape.

If you're not looking to get into these properties, then why do you care that he is taking care of them? Somebody's got to do it.

Mark Oomkes
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM

If you're not looking to get into these properties, then why do care that he is taking care of them? Somebody's got to do it.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 05:10 PM
If you're not looking to get into these properties, then why do you care that he is taking care of them? Somebody's got to do it.

your right i don't care if he's taking care of them. i don't even live in the neck of the woods he does.

i'm just putting my 2 cents in on a thread like everyone else.

come on chevy your starting to sound like a jerk.......

terrapro
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Gavin that is a pretty slick setup. Don't let the haters get you down. If you are licensed and insured you are as professional as is needed to cut lawns.

Does the quick 36" always leave those kind of lines?

M RASCOE&SONS
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM

looks pretty good man.i think if you went to a sign shop and had a cool vehicle wrap done up with your logo and number ,it would look great.:drinkup:

BINKY1902
07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
It wouldn't be a bad setup if you had a hitch on the van with a 4x8 trailer behind it. You could have your racks for your trimmer/blower and the Quick on there. Then you could letter up the van with your logo, or even do a wrap on it. That way you wouldn't have to inhale the fumes, and save yourself the future health problems associated with it. Just a thought, I think it would be a nice setup. I really don't think there is anything wrong with what you have but with the fumes and potential problems if you wreck it might not be a bad idea. Good luck, and that's why we have our own businesses because we can set them up however we want.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
lol. thats pretty cool

twobroslawns
07-13-2010, 05:55 PM
To reiterate yes we pay taxes, are insured, workers comp etc etc. A s far as those asking about cleanups, we do mostly maintenace work trimming back bushes and such, but rarely mulching. I can use my Sierra if I really need a truck, but most debris we can leave on the street here bagged up so cleanup is never an issue.

To those who have suggested a Ranger or the like, I did consider that option, but the value in the van is having everything locked and away as soon as I park it, which cuts around 20 minutes off my day. I live in College Park and leaving equipment out in the open is not always a good idea.

My eventual shift will be to a chevy 2500 van or so. Id like to hold a quick 44 and 32 in the rear with similar ramps setup, and some proper shelving to hold trimmers and such.

Finally to those who have criticized me on non commercial equipment, we run the Quick 36 day in and out and it performs great. I rarely use the honda 21, and we have a commercial echo blower. Trimmers are home depot models just because they're free for me, I just carry 2 all the time and never have an issue. If I didn't have 3 more working ryobi/homelite brand trimmers ready in waiting (that I got for free) I would have some motivation to go buy a stihl. I outfit them with .95 line, replace with bump heads, trim the guards, use straight shafts, and they work great.

Thats funny because College Park in atlanta is not a good place to leave stuff leaving out. unless you like getting shot :dizzy::dizzy:

must be something about the name:laugh:

bradseabridge
07-13-2010, 06:01 PM
college park is mad hood, I went up there to pick up a suzuki hyabusa for a friend. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. That's one time I was glad I had the 12g short barrel behind the seat.

Mark Oomkes
07-13-2010, 06:11 PM
your right i don't care if he's taking care of them. i don't even live in the neck of the woods he does.

i'm just putting my 2 cents in on a thread like everyone else.

come on chevy your starting to sound like a jerk.......

Better than an a-hole like me, right? :drinkup:

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Better than an a-hole like me, right? :drinkup:

its nice to have people who can joke about stuff and let things roll of there shoulders.

i didn't mean it personally for the record............

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 07:14 PM

it's called an enclosed trailer and get some pad locks :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

bradseabridge
07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
why? he has a perfectly good one with a motor.

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
why? he has a perfectly good one with a motor.

i got a motor for mine as well. it's called a truck......

bradseabridge
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
so do I but that's not the point. I wish my entire rig wasn't the size of a school bus.

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
so do I but that's not the point. I wish my entire rig wasn't the size of a school bus.

i must be weird then. i'm not bothered by the size of my rig. never have been. i would never consider down sizing, certianly not to a van.

right now i'm a full size, long bed pick up, pulling a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. i'd like to be a full size, long bed, pulling a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer.

gavin478
07-13-2010, 09:24 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. Obviously I have made a trade off in choosing a smaller setup, you have the advantage of carrying more mowers, vutting larger properties with ease. I have the advantage of parking on a tight city block, getting 18 mpg city, and lower equipment expense. For some people the expense is worth the benefits, I see it differently.

Anyway, here's some more from another home we visited today. Did 2 in downtown DC and was never pulled out more than a string trimmer to cut them.

Also did another 1/8 acre lot and got a mower blade tangled in a chainlink fence (I admit to being stupid for not seeing it), took 20 mins to untangle that mess.

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I think some of you are missing the point. Obviously I have made a trade off in choosing a smaller setup, you have the advantage of carrying more mowers, vutting larger properties with ease. I have the advantage of parking on a tight city block, getting 18 mpg city, and lower equipment expense. For some people the expense is worth the benefits, I see it differently.

Anyway, here's some more from another home we visited today. Did 2 in downtown DC and was never pulled out more than a string trimmer to cut them.

Also did another 1/8 acre lot and got a mower blade tangled in a chainlink fence (I admit to being stupid for not seeing it), took 20 mins to untangle that mess.

city blocks in DC might be different than in my neck of the woods, but there isn't a single place i can't park my truck and trailer rig. i park right infront of every clients propertys almost every single visit. there might be a time or 2 when i have to park a property or 2 away but thats about it.

i could park my rig infront of those properties you have pics of no problem. and the one earlier where you were in the driveway i'd be out infront of the house no problem.

i bet i get between 15 and 18 mpg's on my truck and my equipment is all paid for.

bradseabridge
07-13-2010, 09:54 PM
You've obviously never been in DC then. You cant even drive a full size long bed truck in the city traffic there, let alone a full size long bed with a trailer. Trust me I have a ranger single cab long bed and even that is a pain in the ass in DC most of the turns are super sharp, and there is always someone in the next lane so you can't swing it wide. His rig is perfect for driving in DC and parking. I go to DC all the time 45mins away in Stafford, every time I go I can never find parking. That's why people a long time ago bought vacant lots and turned them into parking for $20 a day, it's insane.

Also why the metro is so popular, park at the park and ride 10miles out of DC and catch the metro in.

93Chevy
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
i must be weird then. i'm not bothered by the size of my rig. never have been. i would never consider down sizing, certianly not to a van.

right now i'm a full size, long bed pick up, pulling a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. i'd like to be a full size, long bed, pulling a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer.

Man, your rig is small. :laugh::laugh: I have a fullsize extended cab long box truck with a 16' open trailer.

poncho62
07-13-2010, 10:06 PM
As the girls say....."Size doesn't matter, its how you use it".....lol

yardguy28
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Man, your rig is small. :laugh::laugh: I have a fullsize extended cab long box truck with a 16' open trailer.

i've been looking at new trucks but i'm not sure what i wanna get. i know i want to stick with full size and i think i wanna stick with long bed. i have a truck box so i hate to loose the hauling space by getting a regular bed. i'm not sure i wanna go as long as a long bed extended cab and i really don't have the use for an extended cab.

full size long bed with a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer would be perfect right now.

93Chevy
07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
i've been looking at new trucks but i'm not sure what i wanna get. i know i want to stick with full size and i think i wanna stick with long bed. i have a truck box so i hate to loose the hauling space by getting a regular bed. i'm not sure i wanna go as long as a long bed extended cab and i really don't have the use for an extended cab.

full size long bed with a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer would be perfect right now.

Yeah, if it were a strict work truck, I might consider a regular cab, but for a personal truck, it's nice to be able to haul around a couple buddies, throw a duffel bag of clothes in the back, get some tools out of the weather, etc. Once you go extended cab, you can't go back. :laugh:

twobroslawns
07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
it's called an enclosed trailer and get some pad locks :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I know in our college park, that trailer would be gone quicker than you can shake a stick, no matter how locked up it was.:cry: however, you would find it stripped clean with all the other stolen isuzu cabovers a few days later by the Ga Dome. :dizzy::dizzy::cry::hammerhead: Just search the stolen equipment forum for atlanta

It might be more secure since it looks like the po-po. or maybe not. I think that would be good if it was painted, lettered, and got a smaller light bar on the top. That would be plenty professional.

yardguy28
07-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah, if it were a strict work truck, I might consider a regular cab, but for a personal truck, it's nice to be able to haul around a couple buddies, throw a duffel bag of clothes in the back, get some tools out of the weather, etc. Once you go extended cab, you can't go back. :laugh:

eh i never have needed to haul around more than one friend at a time anyway. i would go with extended cab regular bed, but by the time i put my truck box in i'd only have a short bed worth of space. with the long bed i have now i have probably a regular bed worth of space.

we'll see. i've been eye balling a blue dogde ram. i think it's long bed but i haven't had time to stop and actually look at it yet. just see it from the truck when i go by.

I know in our college park, that trailer would be gone quicker than you can shake a stick, no matter how locked up it was.:cry: however, you would find it stripped clean with all the other stolen isuzu cabovers a few days later by the Ga Dome. :dizzy::dizzy::cry::hammerhead: Just search the stolen equipment forum for atlanta

It might be more secure since it looks like the po-po. or maybe not. I think that would be good if it was painted, lettered, and got a smaller light bar on the top. That would be plenty professional.

they'd have to break into my truck to get the trailer. it's never unhooked. i have a gorrila lock on the tongue of the trailer when it's hooked to the truck. the side door has a circle key lock that would take forever to cut through and the ramp door has 2 of those locks. not to mention i don't leave the keys in the mower ignitions either.

i know most of that probably doesn't matter. theives always find a way but they would have a rough time getting the trailer open then getting the equipment out. everything blocked in with the 52" ztr. either they'd have to hot wire it or know how to use the release valve to move it manually. and you need tools to remove the back pad (it's a toro grandstand) to get to it.

anyway...........

Mark Oomkes
07-14-2010, 07:54 AM
city blocks in DC might be different than in my neck of the woods, but there isn't a single place i can't park my truck and trailer rig. i park right infront of every clients propertys almost every single visit. there might be a time or 2 when i have to park a property or 2 away but thats about it.

i could park my rig infront of those properties you have pics of no problem. and the one earlier where you were in the driveway i'd be out infront of the house no problem.

i bet i get between 15 and 18 mpg's on my truck and my equipment is all paid for.

Where are you from?

You've never been in the big, old cities on the East Coast, have you? I think this is where the disconnect is coming in. I really don't think you understand the traffic, roads, parking problems, etc that this guy is overcoming with his rig.

Well, if we want to play who's is bigger, I have a F750 that pulls a 35' gooseneck........seriously.

yardguy28
07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Where are you from?

You've never been in the big, old cities on the East Coast, have you? I think this is where the disconnect is coming in. I really don't think you understand the traffic, roads, parking problems, etc that this guy is overcoming with his rig.

Well, if we want to play who's is bigger, I have a F750 that pulls a 35' gooseneck........seriously.

i'm from indiana.......

i've been to some of those old cities on the east coast. so far i've never been anywhere that i would have problems having a truck/trailer rig for my business.

bradseabridge
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
soo.... you've never actually been in one then?

yardguy28
07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
soo.... you've never actually been in one then?

not with my rig but i've been on vacation to them......

like i said i have been to one yet that i couldn't manuever my rig just fine...

gavin478
07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I still have other reasons for going with my setup. I live in an urban area too and if I had anything more than a van or truck I would be unable to park it in the street. I also live on 1/8 acre which leaves me little room to store anything on the property.

Like has been said it may not make sense for all, but it works for me. While I'm in the suburbs I could have a larger unit, but I'll be in DC later in the week working the postage stamps again.

T.M. LAWNS
07-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Gavin, you should paint the van and put a company sign on it. I bet that setup worksout really good in tight areas. :drinkup:

gavin478
07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
I also have lettering ready to go on, just havent found the time in the last few days. As far as painting it I'm gonna repaint the flaking hood myself. The rest will just get touch ups. Like has been said, I'd like to sell this and have a new unit for next season, so I'm not trying to invest too highly in it.

parr90
07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I dont post here much just read some but some of you guys are incredible. Insulting this guy and bashing him is unbelievable to me. I have a company that does over 3 million in revenue. A million and a half in equipment and every bit of it is payed for. My company, Parrscape LLC, does only commercial, and golf course management. I dont even touch the small commercial stuff. I have no problem with this man making a living. I dont compete with people like him but he has every right to go out and do what we all do. If a business doesnt like the way he looks, they dont have to hire him. He is making a living and paying taxes. This is business and if you cant handle the competition then get the hell out. Why the hate? I wish you success in the future Gavin478. Dont listen to the crap, just keep working hard.