PDA

View Full Version : Protective clothing and a skin check

The Lighting Geek
07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I just had a malignant melanoma removed from the side of my face today after it was discovered in a check for skin cancer. We talk every year about clothing and gear but we really have not discussed this. Most of us have worked outside everyday for years and if you are like me, disregard the warnings about skin cancer. I am here to tell you all to get checked and get checked every 6 months. It is covered in most med plans and it costs around $100 or so if you pay cash. Mine was caught in the nick of time and I won't have to go through chemo or radiation treatments. I will be sporting a nice 3" scar on my face but that is a small price to pay in my book. We all owe it o our families to get checked regularly.

Wear a wide brim hat and use sunscreen 50 or higher.

Alan B
07-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Tommy,

Great advice and good to hear it caught early. That can be serious if not caught quickly.

3" scar... ouch... good thing you're already engaged!

Sincerely,

Alan

Tim R.
07-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Ouch buddy! Glad to hear you caught it early. How did it present itself on your face to make concerned enough to get it checked out? dark spot, red or irritated?

The Lighting Geek
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I had 2 customers in the last few weeks who had it, one will be on chemo for a year. I did not think I had it but wanted to make sure. one on my back was positive but the biopsy removed it. The one on my face looked virtually like other moles or freckles I have. Checking ourselves is good but it would be like an untrained homeowner installing what we do everyday.

Tim R.
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I need to buy a wide brimmed hat to wear in this heat. I look like such a goober in them though. Oh well, better a guber with ears still attatched to his head. I am glad to hear you got it all though.

David Gretzmier
07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
glad to hear you caught it early ! i have been wearing big sombrero hats for 10 years now, but I have been working in the sun since I was 12. I have mainly always worn them for the glare/shade/cooling effect, and am glad it has provided me some skin cancer protection as well. I need to get checked.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
well few years from now skin cancer will be treated,Canada is almost at the point of finding a way to treat skin cancer,but still should protect against it has a precaution

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Thank God you caught it early Tommy,

Yes, wide brimmed hats are key out here in the sun. Also, many "workout" type-breathable shirts also have a spf rating and are made to block out the rays. I get nice collared ones at Target.

David Gretzmier
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank God you caught it early Tommy,

Yes, wide brimmed hats are key out here in the sun. Also, many "workout" type-breathable shirts also have a spf rating and are made to block out the rays. I get nice collared ones at Target.
Posted via Mobile Device

David Gretzmier
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I wear the work out shirts but am not sure mine have SPF protection. I have never gotten a sunburn under any shirt, but I guess it matters more what kind of uv rays are getting in your skin rather than a sunburn.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Lighting Geek
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
An update:
I got my pathology report and the edges of the removed skin were clean so it looks like they got it all. I have a date with my dermatologist now every 3 months.

He made a comment that I thought was interesting. They are finding that just because you are olive skinned or you tan easily (previously thought to be LESS likely to develop melanoma) doesn't mean you are safe. They have found that some distant genetic history, Irish or other fair skin, may be in your make up and leave you more susceptible than you think.

Just get checked...