PDA

View Full Version : Top Dressing Applicator

pbhughesiii
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM
What do you think of this as a way to apply top dressing material?

http://www.newerspreader.com/models.htm

I am home owner, but have educated myself throuhly with the hows and whys of groing a lawn (just giving you info to let you know that I am not the average homeowner that goes to lowes and spreads weed and feed and expects to have a beautiful lawn). I have been searching for a way to spread composted mushroom soil (very well aged) and came across this unit. I have called Earth and Turf but their units are just too pricy to justify for a homeowner not making a living in the landscape industry.

What do all of you think about using this unit? Has anyone used something similar>

Many Thanks for this great forum!

PBH

cgaengineer
07-09-2010, 09:10 AM
What do you think of this as a way to apply top dressing material?

http://www.newerspreader.com/models.htm

I am home owner, but have educated myself throuhly with the hows and whys of groing a lawn (just giving you info to let you know that I am not the average homeowner that goes to lowes and spreads weed and feed and expects to have a beautiful lawn). I have been searching for a way to spread composted mushroom soil (very well aged) and came across this unit. I have called Earth and Turf but their units are just too pricy to justify for a homeowner not making a living in the landscape industry.

What do all of you think about using this unit? Has anyone used something similar>

Many Thanks for this great forum!

PBH

The only problem I see with a unit like that is having to tow it. Towing a unit in tight places is difficult. How large is your lawn? Could you get away with a push spreader?

pbhughesiii
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I have about an acre (ZTR Mower so hauling it around would be no problem . . .I'm just hoping that an aged mushroom soil would not flow out too quickly? I have looked for a way to do this for several years now and thought this might be a good alternative. I guess I was hoping I was not the first to try it (to spend 800 bucks to experiment is a bit much in my book!

cgaengineer
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
It should work fine. That spreader should have a way to control the output rate from very small amounts to very large amounts. I actually considered the same unit but due to tight areas in my lawn or my customers lawn it would not work well. I would prefer to use a smaller push type spreader which will run about the same price. Take a look at rittinghouse, they sell one.
Posted via Mobile Device

pbhughesiii
07-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Many thanks for the lead. I think towing it should be no problem. I'm surprised with all of the talk about (at the consumer level) composting and being environmentally sound that more companies have not developed less expensive units. I bought my lesco spreader because I like to have professional equipment because I believe you get better results . . .but I can justify it because I use it many times each year. Topdressing will occur once maybe twice a year . . .

I may purchase the unit and give some feedback so others will have some first hand experience to go by.

wrager
07-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I suffer from the same logic. I have a Lesco power rake (aka verticutter), Blue Bird aerator as well as 2 reel mowers and Honda HRX, but I just can't justify a top dresser. I always search ebay for a used one. No such luck. A guy on another site converted a tow behind drop spreader for applying sand. Not sure how he did it.

phasthound
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I have an Earth & Turf 100SP. http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm
Yes it seems expensive, but it paid for itself in one season. Great machine.

adam.neusbaum
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
How did you get the ball rolling and keep it rolling? I have only done three Top-dressing jobs with my Turfco Mete-R-Matic and the neighbors don't come out and enquire like I'd hoped. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Adam - most homeowners are ignorant about the benefits of topdressing. Ok, more like 95%. You have to start by educating your current customers, and cross selling topdressing to them. Let them see the results, and let the word spread. Run some ads too.

To the OP - using a push spreader to do compost likely isnt going to work. It will just bridge in the spreader.

RigglePLC
09-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Pbhug,
a Lesco spreader will do just fine. You will need a few modifications--like for instance-- use a hole saw; enlarge the middle hole up to about 2 inches in diameter ( or whatever size is needed. ) When you are ready to use the spreader for its usual purpose, cover the hole with some plastic held on with screws (or duct tape). Cut a new hole in the patch about the original size.

kirk1701
09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Hmm, got me thinking about one of these for myself :clapping:

avguy
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
So.....did anyone ever buy one of these?

Landscape Poet
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
So.....did anyone ever buy one of these?

I reviewed this thread when it was new....I was excited about them as they are made about 12 miles up the road...I called and got the price...but have not had time to go and review them in person yet. I am hoping since I am on EOW now and next week is a off week I might look at them while I am in Sanford to look at some trailer acces...will report back on what I find out.

RodneyK
11-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Have you looked into renting a top dresser? Seems to make more sense but not sure how many times a year you are planning on using it.

One of our local rental places just added one to their offerings.

Landscape Poet
11-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Have you looked into renting a top dresser? Seems to make more sense but not sure how many times a year you are planning on using it.

One of our local rental places just added one to their offerings.

Topdressing is actually kind of a mythical thing here in FL, at least on residential lawns - so I have not been able to find a location that offers a rental yet. Otherwise that is exactly what I would do.

Barefoot James
11-18-2010, 09:45 PM
How did you get the ball rolling and keep it rolling? I have only done three Top-dressing jobs with my Turfco Mete-R-Matic and the neighbors don't come out and enquire like I'd hoped. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
sell it to me!

adam.neusbaum
10-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Aint it funny when you come across your old comments? I see my question about getting more topdressing work. Four years & hundreds of services later I'm thankful to say that the ball that started rolling got faster & faster.
Posted via Mobile Device