PDA

View Full Version : Clopyralid Announcement

tremor
07-25-2002, 11:20 AM
I never like to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel it is in all of our best interests to know the truth & to be educated & well versed in this our chosen field of commerce.

Read on,

Steve from LESCO

July 25, 2002

Dear Valued Business Partner,

As a result of actions taken to address regulatory
concerns, Dow AgroSciences LLC will discontinue U.S. residential
turf uses of clopyralid, a widely used herbicide for control of
invasive, noxious and other hard-to-control weeds.

Clopyralid products will continue to be used on golf
courses and certain other forms of nonresidential turf. However,
professional applicators will now be required to notify
property managers not to compost clippings from treated grass.
Farm, ranch and forestry uses will be unaffected.

The decision to discontinue residential turf use of the
herbicide was made to address regulatory concerns about the
potential for damage to sensitive plants from clopyralid residues
in compost. This action is based on a few isolated reports of
plant damage, not on concerns about human health.

While herbicides containing clopyralid are only active on
a few families of plants, there have been reports of residues in
compost damaging sensitive plants. Few of the reported instances
have been confirmed, and in those cases that have been documented,
primarily in Washington state, the residues were tied to programs
promoting composting of grass clippings from residential lawns.
Plant damage linked with clopyralid-containing compost seems much
less likely when the compost is incorporated into soil in use. Dow
AgroSciences is amending the clopyralid product label to discontinue
residential turf use as a prudent step while gathering data to better
understand the many ways that the composting industry processes
compost and the breakdown of clopyralid in these materials. As
communicated to you last April, considerable research is now underway
that will help shed light on these issues.

Sincerely,

Scott Eicher
Dow AgroSciences
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Turf, Ornamental and Technical Products

Green Sweep
07-25-2002, 02:26 PM
Uh-Oh, Just bought 4 cases of Battleship (MCPA, TRICLOPYR, & CLOPYRALID).

Do you think that the other chemical companies will follow?

Thanks for the notification
Rob

JasperStorm
07-25-2002, 08:45 PM
R.I.P. Confront, my stink free, non-volatile friend:(

I hate the smell of 2,4-D in the morning

tremor
07-25-2002, 09:08 PM
It's worth mentioning that a formal exit strategy hasn't been made public yet. It should be fairly dignified since DOW has agreed to this just like they did with Dursban. So we might have a while before this impacts end users.

Rob,
It won't matter if the clopyralid containing product is Helena's Battleship or LESCO's Momentum. For the record, both of these 2 herbicides are made with 2 ingredients from DOW. They're both then formulated by Riverdale. I'm not sure where the MCPA for Helena or the 2,4-D for LESCO come from. Probably both from Riverdale. It doesn't matter now though.

Since DOW has pulled the clopyralid, then Lontrel, Confront, Momentum, and Battleship are all gone.

I'll keep my radar on for additional details as they develope.

Is it my imagination, or is DOW giving up a little too easily? I mean, twice in 5 years & Al Gore isn't even in office. What's up with that?

Steve

CSRA Landscaping
07-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Amazing. I was thinking the same thing.

Kent Lawns
07-26-2002, 12:00 AM
It's Business!

Clopyralid's patent is about to run out.

2 years from now when clopyralid WOULD be available generically and the PRICE dropped, the demand will be diminished: we all be using whatever new herbicide they'll feed us.

Is it concern for the environment or good business...

GroundKprs
07-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Nothing new on Dow's action, Steve. It's just about making a buck the easiest way. Fighting something like these two you mention costs any company money, and also bruises the overall public image of bigger companies.

It doesn't matter whether the allegations are true or not. Dow has to consider loss of it's name credibility to the general populace. Doesn't matter if a chemical is harmful or not. Dow dropped 2,4-D from it's products in early 90s when the international furor started about that product; others have continued to shoot holes in the claims against 2,4-D, but Dow doesn't have to spend any money defending itself.

tremor
07-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Kent's got a point with the patent. If memeory serves, Confront hit the streets in 1988 or '89. So, yeah, it's about to expire, or will by the time clopyralid's off the market.

Then, what do you know, a New DOW herbicide introduction!?!

It would make sense to see clopyralid to the door before anyone has a chance to manufacture off-patent material. This would avoid the Monsanto/RoundUp syndome that's been going around. And then there's no need for a "GP song & dance routine" for the investors at the shareholder's meeting.

You gotta love America, huh?

Steve

Ricky
07-29-2002, 09:22 PM
Steve

Could you elaborate on the "Monsanto/RoundUp syndrome" comment please?

tremor
07-30-2002, 06:43 AM
Monsanto has tried just about everything imagineable to "re-invent" RoundUp since the patents have expired. And who can blaim them. Glyphosate is the most financially successful pesticide in the history of the word.

Every other Joe & his aunt are now producing off-patent material here & abroad. Monsanto can't make any money off RoundUp in Europe or Asia. There's just too much off patent material being produced.

It's happening here in the US too. If there had been an environmental issue with RoundUp (AND THERE ISN'T), they could have allowed at least the US registration to slide. Then perhaps a new introduction (assuming they had one in the wings) would gain quicker acceptance in the resulting void.

It will be interesting to see if DOW has a new & timely herbicide introduction pending.

I don't loose too much sleep worrying about Monsanto's bottom line though. Dow's either for that matter. Those two may get a little tighter in the months ahead. It's been a little too quiet on the merger's & acquisitions front lately. Those two seem like they'd make a nice fit. We'll see.

Steve

tremor
07-31-2002, 03:06 PM
There will be no problem getting clopyralid containing herbicides through spring of 2003, depending on each formulators exit stradegy.

DOW feels that EPA will continue to allow end users (you guys & gals) to use up all of your remaining material through at least the end of 2003. You may have even longer than that. The fed's have about 6 months to accept or deny DOW's request for label change.

I've booked one pallet of cases & several 30gal drums so far for this reason.

So get while the gettin's good!

Steve