PDA

View Full Version : Pool Waterfall

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm looking to educate myself on contructing a waterfall adjacent to a pool. The plumbing is already existing and a 3 foot wide concrete skirt is in place so now I just need the know-how.

I've done waterfalls into ponds we've built ranging from 1-8 feet in height, using rubber liner. I assume most details will be the same.

My specific question is more related to how to waterproof the build so any spilled water makes it back to the pool.

let me know

tadpole
07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
One tier, Two tier or ? If multi-tier, what is set back distance?

Natural rock, concrete, Faux rock?

Is decking cut out for Waterfall footprint or will build be on top of decking?

What is the "skirt" that you refer to?

More info and definitely pics of job site!

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
The design is open right now. I was hoping 2-3 tiers with natural limestone.

The term skirt must be what you are referring to as decking. I would prefer to build on the decking unless you would advise against it.

The pool is in a new development area that we sodded last year. There is a 2% grade change from the back of the house. The backyard is about 65' wide x 48' deep. The pool is centered in the backyard and measures 31' x 18'. Pool design is a "Fiji left" (kidney with larger radius deep end).

Hope this helps.

I got to figure out how to post pics on this site!!

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok, so here are the what the customer has given me to work with to create my drawing and price the job. Rough, but it will work.

tadpole
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
We all like to think that we can and will build Water Features that will not leak, and most of the time we will succeed. Even so, there still lurks in the back of our minds the knowledge that the slightest certain shift in a particular rock can cause water diversion of catastrophic proportions. (At least it seems catastrophic.) So I don't blame you for wanting to incorporate an additional safeguard for leak control.

This is how I have done it and it is fairly simple You use a separate piece of EPDM as a leak catcher and diverter.

This liner should extend at least 1 foot beyond the footprint of the constructed waterfall and be graded (Min. 2 degrees) toward the Pool

Below is a pic of small one that I did 3 years ago.

Also I incorporated Faux rock coping to hide the overhang of the liner. The link for that is-
http://www.rockandwater.com/HTM%20Files/pool_coping.htm

You can dry stack or mortar.

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Great reply!

Only one question - whats EPDM?

tadpole
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
EPDM liner. What have you used in your previous Water Features?

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-15-2010, 12:57 AM
We typically use rubber liners. I've done concrete only twice.
Posted via Mobile Device

tadpole
07-15-2010, 01:28 AM
You have probably been using EPDM. It is a synthetic rubber that is used for roofing applications and also specially formulated to be 'Fish Safe' for use in ponds. Firestone is the primary manufacturer.

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah, thats the stuff.

So is it advisable to create the drainage towards the pool with mortar, then install the liner over that?

zedosix
07-16-2010, 05:47 AM
We have done a few but none using the rubber liner, what we do is form the concrete and brush on a rubber membrane, I think the product is made by "king". Has worked good up to now.

tadpole
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I am not familiar with specs for Swimming Pool construction. Is there an accepted drainage grade on the decking/skirting? Is it poured to drain water toward or away from the Pool? If it can be poured to drain toward the pool the liner can be laid directly on the deck/skirt. The installation that I pictured had a slight poolward grade so I didn't need to make any modifications to alter the drainage grade. I don't know if that was intentionally poured that way or if it was a shoddy job. If you need to alter the existing deck/skirt grade I think any material that you feel comfortable using would work.
The mortaring that I referred to was for tying the rock together (if you don't trust your dry-stacking ability). The installation I pictured is entirely dry stacked.
PM me if this is not completely clear.

Gr8WhiteNorth
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
In my area the building code on pool decking calls for drainage away from the pool. Every pool I have encountered drains this way, not to say that we landscape around pools every day! More like 4 or 5 per summer.

The pool companies in our area usually do their own landscaping.....then the homeowners call us to fix them as soon as they can afford it!!