PDA

View Full Version : What is a fair wage?

mhaley927
07-09-2010, 11:55 PM
I am in the unfortunate position of having a grandmother who would like her entire front yard renovated...

She doesnt want a bid, she wants to pay me and my partner an hourly or daily wage and she will pay for the materials. We are technically a lawn care company so any equipment would be rented and covered by her.

I want to be fair, but I'm in college and need to make SOME money.

What is a fair daily wage (8 hour day) or a fair hourly man hour wage for this kind of job that the rest of my family should not be apauled at? What do you think is apropriate?

Thanks for any input!

garden.nanny
07-10-2010, 01:29 AM
I think since it's your grandma you should do it for milk and cookies!!:laugh:

No, seriously - sounds like a lot is involved. I would charge her $25 -30. an hour per man, since she is paying for all the equipment. Is she expecting some kind of time frame?

mhaley927
07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I think since it's your grandma you should do it for milk and cookies!!:laugh:

No, seriously - sounds like a lot is involved. I would charge her $25 -30. an hour per man, since she is paying for all the equipment. Is she expecting some kind of time frame?

Here's the job in anutshell. To me it sounds like 20 man hours (just a bit more than me and my partner can do in a full day).

Remove brick edge. Remove current plants. Roto till entire area. Grade into her neighbors yard. re install brick edge. Install bushes and mulch. Plant grass.

All we would need is a roto tiller and the dirt mulch some more bricks etc.

Thanks for your input!

nepatsfan
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I would not charge my grandmother 25-30 per man hour. I would not charge my grandmother at all. You are obviously in a different situation being in college and needing to make money. Here is what I would do. Its your grandmother, charge her 15 bucks an hour....have her pay you cash and charge her whatever you pay your helper for your helper. That is what I would do if I was you. You make a little bit of money and you help your grandmother out at the same time.

mhaley927
07-10-2010, 05:00 PM
I would not charge my grandmother 25-30 per man hour. I would not charge my grandmother at all. You are obviously in a different situation being in college and needing to make money. Here is what I would do. Its your grandmother, charge her 15 bucks an hour....have her pay you cash and charge her whatever you pay your helper for your helper. That is what I would do if I was you. You make a little bit of money and you help your grandmother out at the same time.

Thanks! That was orignally my idea and wage. I wasnt planning on paying taxes or declaring this project. SORRY OBAMA! Some people in my family know very little about professional landscaping and thought 15 per man hour was ridiculous. HA!

Thank you both for the input. Hopefully theyll stop giving me a hard time about it!

JB1
07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
if either of my grand parents were alive, I sure wouldn't charge them.

garden.nanny
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
OK !!!So I'm a grandma hustler!!! :hammerhead: I said that because my family will not let me do anything in their yards unless they pay me....I usually charge them half. And don't tell them exactly all the time it took me.

Now I'm going to go boil myself in hot oil......

cutbetterthanyou
07-10-2010, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't do it at all if i could help it, most of the time family is a huge pita. If i do anything i just do it for free. It isn't worth hearing them b!T(h about it for the next decade. If i was to charge, I don't care if it was a dollar a hr it would be too high. Or, whatever i did for them would be wrong. Most of my family members are know it alls, but don't want to do anything for there self and if they aren't know it alls someone else that talks to them are.

whosedog
07-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Why does anyone else in the family have to know what you are charging Grandma?That's between you and her,and none of their business.
If she's not poor, charge her your normal rate,I'm sure she would rather have the money go to her grandson than any stranger,you or your parents might be in her will and will get her money eventually anyhow,this way she can see what you do with her cash while she's alive.A lot of grandparents help their grand kids with tuition if they are able and this way she gets something in return from you.

nepatsfan
07-11-2010, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't do it at all if i could help it, most of the time family is a huge pita. If i do anything i just do it for free. It isn't worth hearing them b!T(h about it for the next decade. If i was to charge, I don't care if it was a dollar a hr it would be too high. Or, whatever i did for them would be wrong. Most of my family members are know it alls, but don't want to do anything for there self and if they aren't know it alls someone else that talks to them are.

LOL most people in my family are know it alls....Your lawnsite name...cutbetterthanyou..:drinkup::laugh:

mhaley927
07-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Why does anyone else in the family have to know what you are charging Grandma?That's between you and her,and none of their business.
If she's not poor, charge her your normal rate,I'm sure she would rather have the money go to her grandson than any stranger,you or your parents might be in her will and will get her money eventually anyhow,this way she can see what you do with her cash while she's alive.A lot of grandparents help their grand kids with tuition if they are able and this way she gets something in return from you.

Basically because the rest of the family is the ones who want the yard redone. Grandma likes it how it is. Since they are basically forcing her to do it all the while expecting her to pay for it, they want it to be cheap so that she is more willing to go through with the renovation.

I know... gotta love manipulative family dynamics.

And believe me, if I could afford to I wouldnt charge her anything or just not take the job, but over the next 4 years I'll be getting myself into 6 figures of debt going to a private college. Whatever I can earn this summer I need. Thanks for the input guys and gals.

garden.nanny
07-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Best of luck to you - hope all goes well. I agree with the poster that said - she would probably like to see the money go to you. I'm sure she is probably so proud of you that paying you is just a small way she can add to your success. I would not rob her of the blessing.

dgw
07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
i would charge my grandma a shiny quarter

JCS Landscaping
07-18-2010, 02:36 PM
I just finished a job for my father-in-law. Mulching 30+ trees (cutting sod and removing for everyone), trimming half a dozen trees, Trimming 30 some bushes and pulling weeds, Edging a few hundred yards, and adding 8 yards of mulch. I was gonna do it for the cost of materials, but he surprised me and payed me 10 bucks an hour. I told him i would work for beer, referrals, and was going to use it as good before and after pics for the website. He's helped me out when i was younger, and i have a hard time accepting money from family. I'm just starting out so advertising was more beneficial for me than the payment. The job took me about 20 hours with the help of one other person.

GMLC
07-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Don't mix family and friends with business. It never fails, someone gets upset and its not worth it. I always tell them I would be happy to help but won't charge them. Get the rest of the family out there with you and bang it out for grandma for free. Plus you will get some quality time with everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device