PDA

View Full Version : how long?

ajslands
07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
quick question; just wondering how long you can idle your truck before you start wasting fuel, it seems like when ever i idle my truck for a few minutes, the needle goes down a lot. so just wondering.

oh BTW its and F250 Diesel.

93Chevy
07-10-2010, 10:23 PM
It's better to let a diesel idle than turn it off and restart it. The average diesel engine uses 1/3 the fuel at idle as a comparable gasoline engine. If you're using too much fuel at idle, there's something wrong with the truck.

For gas engines, I've heard that excessive idling will produce carbon buildup on the spark plugs. I don't have a source to say whether this is fact or not.

I always let my Chevy 350 idle...run in the feed store real quick, load up at the shop, etc. Maybe I let it idle too much, but I'd rather use the fuel than burn out my starter, etc.

ajslands
07-10-2010, 11:22 PM
So what would you say, 5 maybe 10 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

93Chevy
07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
3 hours. Big trucks leave their engines run all night.

ajslands
07-11-2010, 12:09 AM
not a chance!
maybe for earth day but not everyday :laughing:

93Chevy
07-11-2010, 12:17 AM
One of my favorite stories to tell is one time I borrowed my buddy's diesel truck for the night, and I stopped at the gas station to grab a quick drink and candy bar. I left the truck idle because it was cold, late, and I could see/hear the truck from inside at all angles. Anyway, I'm heading back out the truck and this uppidy-type lady pulls in, eyes the truck, and tells me that I'm wasting gas. I said "Ma'am, evidentially you don't understand that it's easier on my truck to leave it running than turn it off for 5 minutes."

Looking back, I could have said 100 better lines, but I'm pretty slow sometimes in person :laugh:

Always easier on the truck to leave it running than to stop and start it.

ajslands
07-11-2010, 02:03 PM
That's what I tell the mcdonald people all the time when They tell me to turn off my truck because they can't hear me.
Posted via Mobile Device

DoetschOutdoor
07-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I thought I read on the cummins forum that excessive idling is not good for the engine overall...I cant remember exactly what it was but something with fuel. About 10 minutes is the cutoff for my 06' dodge but a few buddies run their older cummins all night when we go camping and are always idling long times.

93Chevy
07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Hmm...I guess I'm used to seeing older diesels run all night. My uncle had a 7.3 powerstroke that I swear he never shut off.

unkownfl
07-11-2010, 11:43 PM
6.0-6.4 ford turn it off if its going to idle over 5 mins. Injectors suck and the engine wasn't designed to idle for long periods.