PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Charge!!

nicholsonlawnservices
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Im pretty new to the business and im looking for some advise on how to estimate the time it would take to clean this property up. Also what be a reasonable price to charge? The guy wants everything on the property taken out accept for the large trees and the house itself. All shrubs, small trees, weeds, vines, plants, fence(about 250 ft total), shed and a dog kennal with it own fence. He is getting the dumpster and paying for all that. The customer just wants an estimate to tear it all out and load it into dumpster.

Ill be using 5 guys plus myself to finish this within a day or two. But the regular $30 an hr per guy sounds alittle high to me for this. What do you guys think?

The backyard is 75' by 75' and completely filled like the forth picture is showing. Any idea on a price you guys would charge would greatly help me. Ill try to put up more pictures.

This is what the property looks like..

nicholsonlawnservices
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
some more pictures

Big Bad Bob
07-11-2010, 04:15 PM
some more pictures

Can you mix the vegetation with the other debris? I'd guess you'd need one dumpster for the fences, shed etc and another for the vegetation.

Does he want the stumps ground out? Do you need any kind of permit to tear down the shed?

Lefet
07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Not sure of what your charging, looks like approximately 2200.00? You just charging for labor? Seems like there's an awful lot of work to do. Does the customer want stumps removed, cement posts removed etc? I'd probably charge them about 3500 or so, business would have to make some money too.
You pay your laborers $30.00/hr?

Big Bad Bob
07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Not sure of what your charging, looks like approximately 2200.00? You just charging for labor? Seems like there's an awful lot of work to do. Does the customer want stumps removed, cement posts removed etc? I'd probably charge them about 3500 or so, business would have to make some money too.
You pay your laborers $30.00/hr?

I'm sure the laborer doesn't get $30.00/ hr. The laborer probably gets maybe $15.00 and the rest goes to ins, and other company expenses.

Lefet
07-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm sure the laborer doesn't get $30.00/ hr. The laborer probably gets maybe $15.00 and the rest goes to ins, and other company expenses.

True, just not quite understanding the statement:
"But the regular $30 an hr per guy sounds alittle high to me for this. What do you guys think?"

If that's your charge by the hour, x manpower, why change no?

nicholsonlawnservices
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
The shed is already just a pile of rubble on the ground. It just needs to be carried to the dumpster with everything else so no permits are needed. It is all going into the one dumpster. The stumps are also being pulled out. I charge 30/hr per guy for the job, thats not what they get payed.

vt properties
07-11-2010, 04:51 PM
"But the regular $30 an hr per guy sounds alittle high to me for this. What do you guys think?"

Thats the standard where im from. I charge 38.00 per man hour. I pay my workers 10-13 an hour. The rest is for insurance and such. Its the same as when a car garage charges 75.00 per hour labor, the mechanics dont get paid that. Plus I make a nominal amount on mark up's, and a fee for trucking materials, usually 55.00 .

vt properties
07-11-2010, 04:52 PM
That looks like 3-4k job if they supply the dumpster

nicholsonlawnservices
07-11-2010, 04:52 PM

That 30 an hr usually includes all the haul away for my clean ups. The customer is taking care of that expense so im thinking of adjusting the hour rate.

Lefet
07-11-2010, 05:15 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Nice job to have, if you get it, we'd love to see some pics of the after.

Turf Troll
07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
No digging just flush cutting everything, trees/shrubs chain saws or metal blade string trimmers - metal= reciprocating saw.. loading in dumpsters about $2500.
5 guys about 6 hours.

nicholsonlawnservices
07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. Ill post some after pics when its finished.

Lefet
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. Ill post some after pics when its finished.

Hope we helped, and if you need a hand, shout up 9!!

Big Bad Bob
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
That 30 an hr usually includes all the haul away for my clean ups. The customer is taking care of that expense so im thinking of adjusting the hour rate.

Why would you include haul away in your man hour rate?

Hoy landscaping
07-11-2010, 08:59 PM
looks like other guys covered the prices. but a bobcat and/or backhoe would be worth its weight in gold. for those smaller trees get a chain and rip them out with the truck. or bobcat if you get one. it saves hours of digging and gets most of the root system.

CTmower
07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Your hourly rate + 4 workers hourly rate( in this case you stated $30 per man hour i think) + hourly rate for any heavy equipment that may be used.
I dont care if my guys are flinging dirt, installing a new lawn, or doing a fall cleanup, the hourly rate I set is what my customers pay. The final number may seem high to you but you run a business and are there to make money not loose it. My calculation for me based on a 8 hour job with 4 guys.

$75 x 8 hrs= $600 ( my hourly wage)
$30 x 32 hrs= $960 ( 4 workers working 8 hrs each)
Total= $1560

Thats just for labor. Like i said if theres any heavy equipment then my hourly wage jumps to about $150 per hour to cover the machine. Any hauling of material is extra but you stated the owner would have a dumpster on site.

Think Green
07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
forget the hourly rated mumbo jumbo!
If this customer wants everything brought up to parr...............a dumpster on the site is appropriate. There is polk plant...poison ivy..... sumac....other vines and bramble material in that fence row. Taking down the fence row..................removing the fenced area........all rotted wood and chain link.
I have seen these types of jobs bid and performed on flip this house and it is always the Landscaper or the LCO whom gets the short end of the stick here. Ticks, chiggers, and possible snake bite is the hazard elements along with tetanus from accidents. I figure in the technical element.
Locally, I wouldn't touch this job for less than 3500.00!

I know they are being cited for violations--but this is work!

Turf Troll
07-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Demo work goes faster than most people realize just by looking at the overgrown areas. Sawzall and maybe a grinder with cutting disk, chain saw and heavy duty bladed string trimmers some loppers. Just clearing at ground level it is a nice little job.

What trees or big shrubs the owner wants to keep will all need trimming/shaping after being neglected so long with everything else gone.
Will probably need some grass seed put down.
Will need some broad leaf herbicide after a couple rains for the weeds that sprout in the cleared area.
I would think a coupe of yards of a topsoil or compost to level the ground in different areas after everything is removed.

I would think there is another 1k or more in the follow up work.

It is a nice little job in the middle of this drought we have been going through, it is in the middle of summer slow down, in a real rural area.

fastpine
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I would come in somewhere around 2k,,considering theres a dumpster onsite..

Thats if everything can be cut off at ground level..

Sweet Tater
07-12-2010, 08:32 PM

I'd say stay with your 30, your inevitably going to under jugdge that. Get your money

greensolutions1
07-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah i think i would use 2 guys and rent a bobcat or tractor, tell the other three workers to have the day off.

balreadysaid
07-13-2010, 07:14 PM
i would just charge 2500-3000 up front if he says too much i wouldnt do it.

Lefet
07-28-2010, 07:20 PM
So did you ever get the job?

Turf Troll
07-28-2010, 07:24 PM
He got the job and went to Atlantic City for the weekend!!:usflag:

Lefet
07-28-2010, 07:26 PM
HOORAY!!!! Ding! Ding!! We have a WINNER!!!!!

AzLawnMan
07-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Where the helll do some of you get your prices!? Now Im all for getting whatever you can but $3-4K? That customer will hang up on him before he finishes his pitch. CTmower is pretty close to what I would charge. That job is right around $1,000 to $1,300. If you had to get the dumpster yourself tac on another $400-600. That is not a very big job at all, Turf Troll is also right, demo is a very easy job if you and your crew know what todo. One of my crew's of 4 can knock that out in 4-6 hours. I have posted on here many times and I still dont understand charging by the hour. I think if I charged by the hour i would be going broke. Today we trimmed 6-20ft ficus trees and 10-10ft ficus tress. $50 each for the 20ft ficus = $300 and $20 for the 10ft ficus =$200 and $125 for the clean up a total of $625. 1-crew of 4 guys at 2 hours so an average price of $312.50 an hour. So some of your thinking is charge $15 an hour for each helper ? That would be $120 for 2 hours!! I will stay home for that.