PDA

View Full Version : Bent axle?

lazer 46
07-11-2010, 06:04 PM
The axle on my 6x12 single axle trailer has a noticible bend in it. Is this normal. I know the tires on my trailer wear really weird and not evenly. i know somebody else who has the same trailer and has the same curve to the axle. Not a name brand trailer.

deere-man
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
This is normal. The axles they put on the trailers have a slight bend to it to help compensate when weight is put on the trailer. I've asked the same question before to a guy I know that builds trailers. Sometimes running more air in your trailer tires will help them wear more evenly, but if your hauling a load on them consistently, the tires will usually wear on the insides due to the weight on the trailer.

Chairmnofthboard
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
When the trailer is unloaded do you have negative camber or positive camber?

93Chevy
07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
When the trailer is unloaded do you have negative camber or positive camber?

I forget which is which by the top of mine are outside of the bottom when unloaded.

Usually heavier trailers have bent axles. As long as they don't blow, you're good to go. :laugh::laugh:

Chairmnofthboard
07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Positive camber \ /

Negative camber / \

If you have positive camber you are fine, when you put weight in the trailer it will go to negative. It's perfectly normal.

93Chevy
07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Positive camber \ /

Negative camber / \

If you have positive camber you are fine, when you put weight in the trailer it will go to negative. It's perfectly normal.

Thanks for the visual.

Chairmnofthboard
07-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Glad to help.

ajslands
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM
if its bent up it is normal, and will go even when their is a load on it,