PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on grass type for SC.

Whitaker24
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
We put up a blow up pool for the last 2 months now moving the pool its 16 ft across. Imsure the grass underneath is dead. What can I plant if anything once we move the pool? I have a small tiller that i can use. What type of grass can withstand the heat now and still grow? also is there something I can plant that will continue to come back during the summer? I have planted fescue in the past, but for some reason what i planted seems to have turned brown this summer. thanks for any advice.

cgaengineer
07-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Bermuda, zoysia or centipede is your only choice for seed right now. Since its such a small area I would look into installing sod.

RAlmaroad
07-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Post a photo of the grass around the pool then just match it. Fescue is a good choice of bad ideas for SC. It does not metabolize in the heat and turns brown. More than likely it is centipede or bermuda. But post a photo and we'll see.

Whitaker24
07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Grass photos. Guys what type is in each photo? The last photo is something that is coming up it that a weed type grass or what? The 1st 2 are whats around the current location of the pool.

Thanks

cgaengineer
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Crabgrass and clover are your two weeds. MSMA will smoke both of them. FYI: clover is not on the label of MSMA as far as recall so unless the CG and clover are together it would be in violation to apply MSMA to clover alone.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
I see bermuda amongst the weeds. Even though it goes dormant in the winter, it is simpler to keep healthy in the summer.

Whitaker24
07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Couple of questions.
Should I spray the area with a herbicide to kill the weed/bad grass and replant? If so what type to recommend for next season.

Also if I wanted to put down sod how does that process work? dont I have to cut out the section Im replacing or is it ok to till it up rake it flat and put the sod down and water?

thanks for any help.

RAlmaroad
07-14-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm with Greendoctor on the Bermuda. Although, there is so few sprigs that I have a little issue with really knowing for sure. Is there anyplace without weeds that you could photograph so that we really know what the turf might be? Some of the other common grasses in SC will die a sudden and quick death if hit with the wrong herbicide.
Putting down sod is not a big problem. A good method is to kill of the weeds in the area, till it up at least 4-5" after weeds are gone, put down a "little" starter fertilizer, lay sod, and water, water, water. Wet the sod to the roots and keep it moist for two weeks. By that time you can reduce the watering as the roots of the sod will become rooted into the tilled up soil. If during the first two weeks, the sod dries out--it's gone especially in the heat. I'd wait till mid October to put it down when it's cooler and water is not quickly evaporated.

cgaengineer
07-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Mid October for bermuda sod? Really? I know you didn't specify what type of sod but if you are suggesting bermuda it should be put down now so it has time to take root.
Posted via Mobile Device