PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Alberta Spruce problem- picture

bob
07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Not sure why this is turning brown. Onother one 15 feet away is just starting to also turn brown. Spider Mites?

bob
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Close-up photo

Gold Star Lawns
07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
alberta spruces are very common for spider mites....and they are active right now....not an expert..but that is a possibility

grass4gas
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
That is spider mite damage. If let go for to long, it will kill the shrub. Spray with a miticide, then check it in a few days.

Since spruces are slow growing, it will take some time for new growth to reappear and fill in if the damage is not to severe.

Eric E
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Looks like some type of burn, like bad/wrong spray mix. Maybe spray from something other than treating the plants, like hose cleaning/pressure wash with cleaning agents.

Mite damage would have a differnet lokk to it.

integrityman
07-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I think spider mites too. In addition to the miticide, get some holly tone fertilizer on it asap. In fact, mix some of it with water and apply.

Think Green
07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I can see from the browning lawn in the background that this is either insect damage, blight or drought damage. The lillies are tip browning from drought yet the varigated liriope isn't effected...........they won't be effected much.

First off........look for small web material inside the needles. Then take a piece of white paper and hold it under the needles........give the area a thumping. You will see small insects if it is spider mites along with the web material. Make sure it is spider mites before applying kelthane or orthene. We are having blight right now too!! I am not saying it isn't spider mites but from the pic, I can't see closely on the needle clusters for the webs. I do know that you don't always get web material at first, but to be absolutely sure it is spider mites...........do the paper check.
Make sure you water that plant to health before applying insecticides. It may be too hot or dry and cause more damage than good

JNyz
07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
White paper plate will do the trick. Right on Think Green.