PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what this is?

mike all together
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Hello all!
First post, but I've been reading for quite a while now. Some beautiful lawns posted on this site... needless to say, I'm pretty jealous.

We are completely re-doing the hopeless lawn we've inherited. It was basically 100% weed, so we killed everything off. We are sodding 419 in the front yard on Wednesday but can't afford to sod the back, so we're going to experiment trying to seed bermuda since it isn't as immediately important as the front. I know it's pretty late for seeding, but it's a cheap experiment.

Anyways, the back yard was raked down to the dirt to prepare for seeding and then it decide to rain for what seems like two weeks here in Dallas. Now we have some green popping up through our mud pit in the back yard but I can't even tell what it is.

Should I have the backyard tilled before I seed to kill off all this crap that's coming back? Or go another route? Any ideas? Knowing sod is out of the question and that it's already mid-July, what would you do?

As embarressing as it is to post these pictures, I'm sucking it up because I want it fixed. And besides, if I pull this off, I'll have some really amazing before/after pictures!

tombo82685
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
First off your going to get all that growth once you expose bare ground. Their are tons of weed seeds in the soil present and as soon as they get the daylight and chance to grow they will. Thats why they say, best weed control is a thick healthy yard because it provides little oppurtunity for weeds to invade.

What i would do is nuke the green growth with roundup, because if you leave that growth its going to compete and most likely win and hinder seed germination. So after you roundup it, i would then seed. You will probably still get some weeds that pop through, but it will give atleast the upper hand to the grass seed. Then come back and spot spray the weeds a couple months later once the seed has been mowed 3-4 times.

Think Green
07-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Mike,
Is that lawn on a slope?
The weed in the pic is crabgrass...........just as mentioned from tombo...........leaving bare ground for sunlight is only asking for weed seed to germinate other than the bermuda.
I would look into building beds or retaining beds on the upper area to slow down the water flow...........then reseeding if that is all you can afford right now. All the seed matter is going to end up on you patio slab....since I can see the grill in the lower end of the pic. It is imperative that you slow down or stop that water flow or all you can do is slit seed..........hydro-mulch......or sod that slope.
If you can obtain good quality........100% bermuda hay bales......and top cover the seed after the seeding is done. You know--apply the seed then apply the hay bales as you would mulch.........break the bales apart and cast the material as a top cover for moisture retention--covering for seed germination and silt control during rains.

ChiTownAmateur
07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Short answer is that the pros will tell you only sod will grow at this time of year with any real chance of success...watering seed in summer is practically impossible without a serious timer and serious dedication...not worth it imo

leave the weeds until approx 1 month before ideal growing season...then RoundUp the weeds. Wait until they die, about a week, then till them in. wait about 10 days for new weeds to sprout, then roundup again. wait about 10 days for the weeds to die off completely and then seed

Gunderson06
07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
I like they others would spray with round-up since its a post emergent killer not a pre so harm to the seed that you will put in should be minimal but I would still wait a few days after spraying. Also there is a product out called ONETIME it is expensive to use but we use it on new lawns to spray for weeds about two weeks after germination. There is not another product out there that can do this that I am aware of it works great on crabgrass also both pre and post.

Smallaxe
07-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Depending of the soil, whether to roundup or till. If it was compacted by the rain, and won't recover a decent texture as it dries, then till. The soil's tilth, is the most important item, for long term success of any, and all, plants.

Look at grass, as a plant, not a rug. :)

ICT Bill
07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Depending of the soil, whether to roundup or till. If it was compacted by the rain, and won't recover a decent texture as it dries, then till. The soil's tilth, is the most important item, for long term success of any, and all, plants.

Look at grass, as a plant, not a rug. :)

Listen to Axe (BTW Axe good to have you back) you have one time to do this right or you will be fighting it for years to come, get some good compost, any kind, into the soil. It will help your seeding be successful A LOT

cgaengineer
07-14-2010, 09:38 AM
I think Celsius is labeled for 2 week old seeded bermuda...check the label. That being said, in two weeks that CG will be towering your bermuda seedlings and choking them out.

lilmarvin4064
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
You could pre-spray with Drive 75. it would get rid of the existing crabgrass and also give you about a 45 day residual pre-emergent on the unemerged crabgrass without effecting the bermuda.

mike all together
07-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I think we're going to go the most practical route and just wait it out. That crabgrass sure is growing in nice now, though! Heh.

I think I'm going to get another bottle of the weed/grass killer concentrate and spray it around the fence border every month or so for right now, just to make sure it doesn't creep into the new sod in the front or into the neighbors' yards. That stuff spreads like crazy.

While I like the price of seeding when the time comes, it seems more practical to just try and budget for sod back there. What are the chances of just laying it in checker board style and hoping the sod grows in together? I know it'd take time, but since it's the back yard...

Mike,
Is that lawn on a slope?
The weed in the pic is crabgrass...........just as mentioned from tombo...........leaving bare ground for sunlight is only asking for weed seed to germinate other than the bermuda.
I would look into building beds or retaining beds on the upper area to slow down the water flow...........then reseeding if that is all you can afford right now. All the seed matter is going to end up on you patio slab....since I can see the grill in the lower end of the pic. It is imperative that you slow down or stop that water flow or all you can do is slit seed..........hydro-mulch......or sod that slope.

Yep, it is definitely on a slope. My dream would be to set up a retaining wall across the yard on the bottom of the hill that's a few feet high and just make the back slope area a landscaped garden area, leaving a 2' or so sloped grass area on the right side of the yard to walk up to it. But that'd be pretty complex and expensive as hell.

Any creative ideas on a cheap way to take care of the slope? I found it amusing that a couple of days after reading your comment on the weed growing into the patio, we had huge patches of the crabgrass growing all along the bottom of the slope. I guess it's common sense the water running down would cause that, but we never thought of it.

bigslick7878
07-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Just make sure you at least dig out some beds around the perimeter near the fence. Make them curve too, straight sucks.

Nothing is less appealing than seeing a bunch of grass running up to the fence everywhere with no buffer.

cgaengineer
07-17-2010, 02:37 PM
A checkerboard pattern of 419 will fill in in one season if watered and fertilized.. You will have to topdress next season to smooth it out. Since topdressing should be done anyway it would not make much of a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device