PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best tool for Cutting dead branches?

Lawncutting27
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I was planing on buying a kombi chainsaw unit but it's $250. A pruning pole is $50 at home depot, actually, I'm not sure why I'm making this thread. I think I'll almost certainly buy the pruning pole, I don't have a lot of tree work, just a couple customers but I was thinking of putting an ad in to see if there was interest in this sort of work for some extra money.

I'm trying to get some of my mowing customers to hire me to cut there low lying branches to make my life easier. I'm tempted to cut some of these branches for free just so I don't have to dodge them while mowing.

fl-landscapes
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
depending on the diameter of the limb it will be a bear with a hand powered pruning saw. If you get more work invest in an extendable power pruner.

Florida Gardener
07-12-2010, 11:14 PM
If you want the ease and ability to get the job done quick, invest in a Silky Pole Saw. They are pricy, but they are worth it, especially in Florida with all of our palms.

South Florida Lawns
07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I got the HT131 shihl pole saw and it makes short work of palms and tree limbs. It was $600 but worth it in the long run.

Lawncutting27
07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
depending on the diameter of the limb it will be a bear with a hand powered pruning saw. If you get more work invest in an extendable power pruner.

I didn't know they even made extendable ones. I just checked and stihl makes one but I can't tell if you just buy an extra pole to go between the chainsaw kombi and the engine... is that how they work?

fl-landscapes
07-13-2010, 07:35 AM
I didn't know they even made extendable ones. I just checked and stihl makes one but I can't tell if you just buy an extra pole to go between the chainsaw kombi and the engine... is that how they work?

I use this one from echo http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=PPT-265&Category=POWERPRUNER

Glenn Lawn Care
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Either a chain saw or a telescoping pole saw.

DJJS
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I use this one from echo http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=PPT-265&Category=POWERPRUNER

I use the same one for low hanging branches and anything else where it's not worth climbing. We do a lot of tree work and it holds up real well, I've got it with the extra extension so it can reach pretty much anything

JB1
07-13-2010, 03:08 PM
you'd be surprised how much you can do with a cordless saw zall.

rlitman
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM

If you have the kombi engine, then they make a kombi attachment, that can be used with an extra pole in the middle for more length.

The extendable pole pruner is not a kombi attachment. It has more reach, but is only sold mated to the engine.

There are a number of styles of handsaw blades out there, but only two that stand out as good.

The "fleam" style blade (as used by Silky, Corona, etc) has vicious looking pointy teeth (its a Japanese pull saw type blade), and cross-cuts green wood quickly, but cannot be re-sharpened, and can "stick". Because of its aggressiveness, it can be hard to start a cut, can get stuck in the cut, and will tear your skin to shreds. Still, it cuts very fast.
I spray mine down with silicone lubricant to keep sap from sticking to the blade, and to prevent it from binding in the cut.

The "woodzig" style blade has curved teeth that can be sharpened with a chainsaw file. Fiscars sells these now, and I REALLY like it. Its easier to start and maintain good cutting, and isn't much slower at removing wood.

A better pole (more strength and less weight) such as the foam filled fiberglass Jameson, will speed up cutting a bit too.

No handsaw will compete with a chainsaw when it comes to speed though.

rlitman
07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
you'd be surprised how much you can do with a cordless saw zall.

I had one of those. With the 12" green blades. Actually worked very well, but I sold it when I got the kombi pole pruner attachment.
Nothing against the sawzall, just no need for both, and the cordless is limited to around 6" branches.

georgiagrass
07-18-2010, 12:10 AM
For ground level or step ladder work, my guys love their Felco folding saws. It's a low tech, inexpensive and very effective approach.

jvanvliet
07-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Geez... Einstein?

preciselawnky
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
any stihl hand or pole saws, make sure you make collar cuts and dont mess up the shape of the tree. and for small trees you can sell thinning out trees, going up the center of the tree cleaning the dead and overlapping branchs so the wind can flow through the tree easily without putting stress on the limbs. You can also sell tree feeding take a soil test to determine how much nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium the tree needs.

whosedog
07-20-2010, 06:38 AM
I'm trying to get some of my mowing customers to hire me to cut there low lying branches to make my life easier. I'm tempted to cut some of these branches for free just so I don't have to dodge them while mowing.

Just chop them off and save yourself from getting smacked in the head and knocked off the mower when you forget to duck one day.You'll get your money back in the time that you save not having to dodge those branches.
If you advertise for tree work,make sure you have the right insurance and equipment,including a chipper to get the load down to size if you have a lot of volume.

georgiagrass
07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
We often limb up trees with low-hanging branches that impede mowing. It almost always improves the look of the landscape and makes it much safer to mow. We don't usually charge extra for this.

Lawncutting27
07-22-2010, 01:32 AM
The last two posts have given me some insight. Thank you.