PDA

View Full Version : What is the point in this?

betterlawnsandlandscaping
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I have 3 customers that are always sitting at home when I mow and they don't want to pay me while im there but will drop a check in the mail on that same day. It seems like that would be more complicated than just paying me at the time of service and I know they are home because they will come outside when im there and wave at me. I should ask them, but they are paying me on time so i guess I will leave it alone. Just curious if anyone else has this type of issue. :hammerhead:

socallawndude
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a few customers that are the same way...no idea why, other than maybe they are just illogical folks :D

07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I ask one of them yesterday if she would rather save her stamp and give me a check while im here and she said "Thanks but i will drop it in the mail today like i normally do". I was laughing inside when she said that.:laugh:

TennisBum
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
They're showing their support for the postal service.

07-13-2010, 03:13 PM

:laugh:Lmao

clean_cut
07-13-2010, 09:39 PM

Hahahahah!

You should convince them that the 50 cents will add up over the years... 12 months a year, 50 cents a stamp is $6 a year! In 6-7 years they could have a free mowing! :laugh:

JFGauvreau
07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
That's really odd but at least they are paying you on time lol

93Chevy
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
That was one reason I switched everybody over to monthly billing. :laugh:

unkownfl
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
They probably live on a fixed income or week to week and need to wait until certain times of the month to cover the check????

07-13-2010, 11:57 PM
They probably live on a fixed income or week to week and need to wait until certain times of the month to cover the check????

Could be the deal, but I mow same day every week. Early in the week for these three. They are good people, just stuck in their ways I guess

PLS-Tx
07-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Those are the ones I like, I hate collecting money. I would much rather them put it in the mail.

That's is as long as I trust them, if I don't then it's a credit/debt card. We run the card BEFORE we do any work, if it's approved then we do the work with no worries.

Ex CCS Racer
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
It could just be their preference or maybe they feel awkward handing you money right then and there.

I'd rather them send me a check, PayPal, or charge it rather than ask or stand there with my hand out. It's just professionalism to me. I never ask for money on the spot unless it's a one time, prearranged service. If I service my regulars and they wanna pay me then, then so be it. Otherwise, I e-mail them their invoice with the due date at the end of the day.

BCFLawnLandscape
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Might be afraid they are giving the money to a "worker" and not the "Owner"

ShooterK2
07-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I bet they're checking your work after you leave. That way, if you screwed up, they can say something about it before paying you. Kinda holding your money "for ransome" in a way. And, with some of the scrubs out there these days, I can't say that I blame them.

And I agree with TAC and Ex CCS Racer. I hate handling money during the day. I actually ENCOURAGE all my customers to let me bill them at the end of the month. Of course, some of them want to pay on the spot, and that's fine, but I'd rather focus on work all day, come home, get a shower and eat, and THEN check the mailbox and deal with the finances.

poncho62
07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Might be afraid they are giving the money to a "worker" and not the "Owner"

I bet they're checking your work after you leave. That way, if you screwed up, they can say something about it before paying you. Kinda holding your money "for ransome" in a way. And, with some of the scrubs out there these days, I can't say that I blame them.

Either of these is a good guess.....

Also, I bet these are older retired people.....Older people are more resistant to any change...Try getting one to do banking online etc.......Its just the way they pay their bills and are not likely to change. Hell, I am getting taht way myself.......:dizzy:

JDUtah
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I know several people who like to pay all their bills at one time. For records sake etc. Maybe they are waiting until they sit at a desk and make sure everyone is paid. It is amazing how much energy is spend switching mindsets between jobs after all.

T.E.
07-27-2010, 11:03 PM
I've been solo, and ran crews. No one collects money after a lawn is cut. 1st it doesn't look professional. 2nd it invites chit chat....I need to make money either solo, or with the crews. I don't have time to talk....if I do....I don't want to talk. I keep it simple, and business like. Just my .02

davis45
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I've been solo, and ran crews. No one collects money after a lawn is cut. 1st it doesn't look professional. 2nd it invites chit chat....I need to make money either solo, or with the crews. I don't have time to talk....if I do....I don't want to talk. I keep it simple, and business like. Just my .02

I agree here. Makes ya look like a newb collecting money after you mow. Waste alot of time throughout the day also. And having to go to the bank with 4x the checks every month.

I just bill at the end of every month..every customer writes one check, go to the bank only once or twice. Don't waste time everyday "here's your money.....boy, sure is hot today isnt it?" blah blah...

07-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Some times its not worth getting paid after mowing if its gonna cause chi chat but there is nothing unprofessional about asking them to leave a check out after each service unless it has been arranged otherwise because some would rather do it that way. All im saying is, there is no standard for how or when you get paid.

T.E.
07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Some times its not worth getting paid after mowing if its gonna cause chi chat but there is nothing unprofessional about asking them to leave a check out after each service unless it has been arranged otherwise because some would rather do it that way. All im saying is, there is no standard for how or when you get paid.

No to be a butthead, I simply have to differ. There is a standard of how we are paid. ALL customers after '09 are next day credit cards period, no card, no customer. I nor anyone working for me picks up a check or cash from under a door mat....that is for the neighborhood kids, not professional companies. IMHO

mdvaden
07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Some folks may prefer the slight delay until the money comes out of their account.

Its so small though, so probably not the main reason.

I don't mow lawns, but do small projects. Occassionally when they are home and say they will mail it, I simply remind them that the contract said "due upon completion" and that there is no reason for a mailing delay because they are present and its complete.

:)

PLS-Tx
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't like handling money period, I would much rather them mail it.

Stopping to collect can slow us way down.

I don't miss the days that I would do a lawn and ring the bell, then I would wait until they were through talking and ready to hand over the check. :dizzy:

T.E.
07-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't like handling money period, I would much rather them mail it.

Stopping to collect can slow us way down.

I don't miss the days that I would do a lawn and ring the bell, then I would wait until they were through talking and ready to hand over the check. :dizzy:

This is the point I was trying to convey.

T.E.
07-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Some folks may prefer the slight delay until the money comes out of their account.

Its so small though, so probably not the main reason.

I don't mow lawns, but do small projects. Occassionally when they are home and say they will mail it, I simply remind them that the contract said "due upon completion" and that there is no reason for a mailing delay because they are present and its complete.

:)

In my view this is a different beast so to speak. Install, or other small or large projects....yes due upon completion.

07-29-2010, 02:05 AM
All im saying is, some would rather put money under the mat. Old school I guess. It dont matter to me as long as they dont slow me down.

PLS-Tx
07-29-2010, 02:10 AM
All im saying is, some would rather put money under the mat. Old school I guess. It dont matter to me as long as they dont slow me down.

Not me, nothing under the mat.

mow4cash
08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
People are funny like that but I would rather have it in the mail anyway. When ever I get stuck in chit-chat I recommend some things they should have done to the property. As much as chit-chat slows me down I think it is good for business. I add the lost time into the next project I sell. I have some customers that I have never seen or met them, only there check and others that like a more personal approach.