PDA

View Full Version : Duramax

JShe8918
07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Here is my dmax as she sits for now. Mods consist of cognito 7-9 set at 9 in the front and 5.5 in the back, 37" toyo mt's, 20" diamo wheels, MBRP 4" with 6" RBP tip dumped, warn trans4mer, warn 9.5ti winch not installed, Fass 150 lift pump, 100 over injectors, built motor by dimitri millard, twin s464 over s480, Wicked diesel stroker cp3's x2, RDL manifolds and up pipes, suncoast GMAX5 w/ 1056 converter, and the list goes on and on. I don't have any under the hood shots right now but i will post them up ASAP!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/MY%20trucks/IMG_4890.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/MY%20trucks/IMG_4867.jpg

Thanks for looking!

bobcat48
07-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Nice,sweet ride.

JShe8918
07-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks.. She seems to like getting towed to often. :( I'll have to post up my dyno graph and 1/4 mile slips along with the shots of under the hood

deerewashed
07-14-2010, 12:13 AM
do you have any pics with you next to it..i want to see how big it is compared to a person....

P.Services
07-14-2010, 12:16 AM
i think you need to see a doctor for your sickness.

youtube videos are a MUST

Glenn Lawn Care
07-14-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm not surprised its sitting on a tow truck in the first pic. :laugh:

streetscrapin16
07-14-2010, 12:56 AM
awesome truck.

JShe8918
07-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Haha.. She likes to break. It really isn't that big. I have some small 285's on it on stock rims with my lift for now. It is racing season. The only videos i could take is with my iphone if that works then i'm game... It isn't all that massive. Let me look through my photos i am sure i can find one with a person standing beside it. BTW numbers are 794 hp and 1602 ft lbs tq on diesel only. i added a small .050 pill to it and pulled lower numbers the first run due to timing being way low. Second run i pulled out 845hp and 1802 ft lbs tq. It was being loaded up that day for a tranny refresh again and new driveshaft. Stock driveshafts and yokes are nono's after 800 with stock tires much less 700+ on 37's. George at suncoast converters opened it up the following week to find two plantaries shattered. My tuner is Rob coddens out of eagle idaho. My best quarter mile time was 11.37 @ 121 at the track in ATL 60 ft time was 1.82 Which sucks! with a 1.6 i think she could hit 11.0. This is with the aid of four 18" mickey thompson classic 2 wheels and some 30" m&h drag radials

THEGOLDPRO
07-14-2010, 01:42 PM
dont be scared to fix the plastic facia on the front bumper :) truck looks good man.

JShe8918
07-14-2010, 02:30 PM
dont be scared to fix the plastic facia on the front bumper :) truck looks good man.

Haha... I actually ordered a fascia, and two new foglights from a salave yard day before yesterday. ThankS!

propertymanagement2010
07-14-2010, 02:38 PM
ehhhh not a fan sorry.

ron mexico75
07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Damn son...............you get a pilots license to operate that thing? :laugh:

DeereHauler
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
If you guys dont like Duramax, or Chevy, why bother commenting in the thread, seriously.

Nice truck. Some sweet rims too. This year i became the owner of a Duramax. No upgrades yet, well i did tint the side windows, and im getting a rear window decal made. Right now its just a work truck. I can't justify spending too much to make my truck like yours, mine is to haul my a$$, and tow equipment.

thanks for sharing your pics. heres the only pic of mine so far.

joef450snowplow
07-14-2010, 08:23 PM
durmaxs are fast! thats a nice truck is it straight piped at all?

mowerbrad
07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I love duramax trucks, they are actually kinda fun to drive compared to other diesels.

I only wish I wasn't so picky and cheap, otherwise I would have a nice duramax of my own.

Your's looks sweet!!!!

JShe8918
07-14-2010, 11:24 PM
durmaxs are fast! thats a nice truck is it straight piped at all?

Yes. I have RDL manifold and up pipes that go into the turbo pedistal then down a diamond eye down pipe into nothing but pipe. The is no cat nor muffler.

I love duramax trucks, they are actually kinda fun to drive compared to other diesels.

I only wish I wasn't so picky and cheap, otherwise I would have a nice duramax of my own.

Your's looks sweet!!!!

Mine was boring when i first bought it. Then i tried bullydog. It was fun until i wanted more. So i get EFI live and had a BLAST. Burned up the trans and did my suncoast kit. Now it is a beast. I hate driving it around town because it is a squirell. The smallest tune i run is estimated to be about 550 and 1200 ft lbs. It spins badly when it is raining or wet. But when it is dry... Hold the hell on. I can punch it and not spin a tire until about 25 when the turbos light and hold on. It will burn the tires until you let up. PS. it isn't that expensive for me since i was a dealer for diesel parts. :rolleyes: I still have my business liscence and rights to the vendors for now. But no place of business nor website anymore. I had a small 3 bay shop for almost 6 months before i couldn't justify staying open longer. The location killed me!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. And for those of you who don't like duramax's. I understand they aren't for every one but i love mine. (so for the people that don't, do not comment!) THANKS!

mowerbrad
07-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Mine was boring when i first bought it. Then i tried bullydog. It was fun until i wanted more. So i get EFI live and had a BLAST. Burned up the trans and did my suncoast kit. Now it is a beast. I hate driving it around town because it is a squirell. The smallest tune i run is estimated to be about 550 and 1200 ft lbs. It spins badly when it is raining or wet. But when it is dry... Hold the hell on. I can punch it and not spin a tire until about 25 when the turbos light and hold on. It will burn the tires until you let up. PS. it isn't that expensive for me since i was a dealer for diesel parts. :rolleyes: I still have my business liscence and rights to the vendors for now. But no place of business nor website anymore. I had a small 3 bay shop for almost 6 months before i couldn't justify staying open longer. The location killed me!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. And for those of you who don't like duramax's. I understand they aren't for every one but i love mine. (so for the people that don't, do not comment!) THANKS!

How expensive is a duramax to own? I've heard parts are pretty expensive and the engine is a little more difficult to work on than other diesels. I've got my 6.5 diesel now that I'm not really that fond of, I need something that will give me a little better power and fuel economy.

I've been slowly searching for a durmax for several months, but after some people told me that repair costs are very high (in comparison to other diesels), it got me questioning whether a duramax was the right choice.

I'm not going to be doing any mods to it though. Any advice for me?

JShe8918
07-15-2010, 12:47 AM
I do have loads of advice.... STOCK IS GREAT!!!! Stay away from 01-04 duramaxes. 04.5 and up are excellent. The 01-04 had bad injector problems. To replace injectors in those years is upward of 6000. Alright just in relavance to another diesel. To repair a leaking head gasket is 4000 on a duramax as opposed to 2500 on a cummins. On a cummins you can leave the motor in the truck where as with a dmax you could do it while in the truck but is is nearly impossible so you have to pull the motor. Head gaskets only go out if you have modified your truck though. And they are hard to blow. I didn't blow my stock ones until i hit 600+ on danville's dyno but i had high drive pressures and cylinder pressures. To change the oil and all the filters it is about 150 dollars. Your only cost to own one is oil changes and tires really. If you ever have to replace a radiator it is 359 bucks for parts or a water pump is 69 for parts. Hubs are like 180 something apiece. These are just numbers. My friend has a duramax that only has an exhaust on it and he has 140K miles and has only replaced the brakes, a water pump, and a water seperator that goes in your fuel filter. They are great trucks. The most expensive diesel to work on right now is the 6.4 powerstroke. To work on the motor or pull the motor you have to remove the front clip.

mowerbrad
07-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I do have loads of advice.... STOCK IS GREAT!!!! Stay away from 01-04 duramaxes. 04.5 and up are excellent. The 01-04 had bad injector problems. To replace injectors in those years is upward of 6000. Alright just in relavance to another diesel. To repair a leaking head gasket is 4000 on a duramax as opposed to 2500 on a cummins. On a cummins you can leave the motor in the truck where as with a dmax you could do it while in the truck but is is nearly impossible so you have to pull the motor. Head gaskets only go out if you have modified your truck though. And they are hard to blow. I didn't blow my stock ones until i hit 600+ on danville's dyno but i had high drive pressures and cylinder pressures. To change the oil and all the filters it is about 150 dollars. Your only cost to own one is oil changes and tires really. If you ever have to replace a radiator it is 359 bucks for parts or a water pump is 69 for parts. Hubs are like 180 something apiece. These are just numbers. My friend has a duramax that only has an exhaust on it and he has 140K miles and has only replaced the brakes, a water pump, and a water seperator that goes in your fuel filter. They are great trucks. The most expensive diesel to work on right now is the 6.4 powerstroke. To work on the motor or pull the motor you have to remove the front clip.

Okay...I was told the 04.5 and newer are better, so that was what I was planning on. Most people I talked to said that as long as I take good care of the duramax, I shouldn't have any major problems...so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

My only problem that I have run into is that prices of diesels are really high right now. I was thinking of spending $20k on the truck in total, but at the prices I've seen, thats going to be tough to do....but I'll have to look much harder.

Sorry to get the thread off track.....

JShe8918
07-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Okay...I was told the 04.5 and newer are better, so that was what I was planning on. Most people I talked to said that as long as I take good care of the duramax, I shouldn't have any major problems...so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

My only problem that I have run into is that prices of diesels are really high right now. I was thinking of spending $20k on the truck in total, but at the prices I've seen, thats going to be tough to do....but I'll have to look much harder.

Sorry to get the thread off track.....

IT is all good. When i bought my truck in december of 2007 the diesel market was high, i paid 35000 for it with 38000 miles. I tried to trade it in in november of 2008 and they only offered me 14000 with 52000 miles. So of course i kept it now the market is back up to high 20's for a truck with 80K miles on it! Mine blue books stock for 27500. I would sell mine to anyone who wants it for 42,000. Which is ALOT less than what i have into it. But not many people are in teh market for a truck like mine. Do you some hard searching and you will find one eventually!

South Florida Lawns
07-17-2010, 11:34 PM
yo nice dirty max. have you heard of the EFI Live tunes? They any good? Almost bought a 2wd LB7 to make a play/race truck.

Check "Nasty Girl" on youtube!

joef450snowplow
07-18-2010, 02:26 AM
[QUOTE=JShe8918;3641838]Yes. I have RDL manifold and up pipes that go into the turbo pedistal then down a diamond eye down pipe into nothing but pipe. The is no cat nor muffler.

NICE! does it blow smoke or what!

JShe8918
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
yo nice dirty max. have you heard of the EFI Live tunes? They any good? Almost bought a 2wd LB7 to make a play/race truck.

Check "Nasty Girl" on youtube!

Nasty Girl has been retired for a while. They couldn't keep a trans in it. That was the first FAST diesel i ever saw. Check out this video. He is my tuner. Yes i use EFI live. It is amazing. It is the best thing you could ever buy for a duramax. It is wat makes power like mine possible. There are hundreds of tables that you can change. BUT you have to be experienced at tuning in order not to Screw something up. Rob coddens is my tuner. he is out of Eagle Idaho. He and ken own this truck. It is the fastest street legal duramax. his newest best time is 9.70 with no nitrous. You know it is fast when he sets out crotch rockets and still out runs them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRPrvfpqQo

[QUOTE=JShe8918;3641838]Yes. I have RDL manifold and up pipes that go into the turbo pedistal then down a diamond eye down pipe into nothing but pipe. The is no cat nor muffler.

NICE! does it blow smoke or what!

Haha... Does it ever. Once the turbos spool up there isn't to much but there is still about the same amount as a tuned duramax. It isn't like a cummins though.