PDA

View Full Version : 6.0L Exhaust

STIHL GUY
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
i was wondering what you 6.0 drivers were running for exhausts on your 2500HD's. I want something with a nice tone but not too loud because i dont want to be waking people up at night while doing snow. the stock muffler is dual in and dual out what are the advantages/disadvantages to this as opposed to running 2 seperate single in/out mufflers side by side. thanks for the help

FryDaddy
07-14-2010, 02:21 PM
what year is your truck. Im looking at an 04 just to have for personal use.
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
its an 05.

Bigred350
07-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I run a Flowmaster 50 series. Its a dual in dual out muffler. Its sounds very deep and not extreamly loud.

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
just out curiosity how many miles u guys do on a full tank of gas??

im looking in to buy a 2500hd with the 6.0l

93Chevy
07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't have the same truck or engine, but I just had a custom stainless dual outlet exhaust installed last week. Magnaflow-type stainless muffler, single input dual output, stainless pipe, stainless tips. $450 total. Sounds perfect for a work truck...gives the truck some character, but won't wake the neighbors. If I throttle it good though, she PURRRSS ever so sweetly.

Basically, see if you can find a good exhaust guy in your area and see what he wants for a custom bent exhaust.

STIHL GUY
07-14-2010, 11:04 PM
i got under the truck to measure the pipes today. Currently i have 3'' dual in and 3'' dual outlets. After this there is a y pipe that ends with a 3.5'' tailpipe. everything is welded. my question is if i cut the old muffler off and placed the new one in could i clamp it or does it need to be welded??

93Chevy
07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
The muffler should be welded, but you may hear it's okay clamp it.

STIHL GUY
07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
will it sound ok if it is clamped?

Triple G Lawn and Snow
07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
As long as were on the subject, I am also looking at 3/4 ton chevy's with the 6.0.

My buddy has a 97 GMC with the 350, 5.7 motor, with straight pipes out the side after the cat converter no muffler.

I would like to do this to my 6.0 but have been told it wont run as good because it would need more fuel, and all the computer crap will be out of wack with air/fuel ratios.

What do you guys think? the 97 sounds Bad A$$. Would love to do the same thing.

93Chevy
07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
will it sound ok if it is clamped?

It'll sound fine and should be okay, but if you're going to mod your truck to last a long time, why not weld it and do it right? I didn't have good luck with a complete seal on my last two trucks I did exhaust work on myself. Whenever I was willing to spend the money to have it done right, I'm happier now than I have been with my other trucks.

rcslawncare
07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Weld it, it will keep water out of the pipes and make a 100% seal. I always went, clamps rust and a one piece pipe looks a lot better! I also had unwanted noise with an exhaust leak due to a clamp. Most kits iv seen, people opt to weld the pipes rather than use the clamps in the kit.

bobcat_ron
07-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Straight pipe it. I did it because I am not a pussy and I am a man.

Screw my neighbours. Look out nature.

shovelracer
07-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Ive been through several different setups after we ripped the muffler off one late night plowing. We started with the dynomax setup because I could get it in a day and was cheap, which sounded really mean, but it was crazy loud and would set off car alarms. Swapped out the muffler to a flowmaster 50 series, which was much less loud, still sounded OK, but still too loud for midnight plowing. I will need to locate a stock setup before winter. I talk about sound and I mean a nice balanced tone. Regardless I find loud mufflers super annoying unless you are in a super sick car. Work vehicles should be quiet IMO, it is possible to get good tone without rattling the windows of every house you drive by. For whatever reason though freaking exhaust stuff is pretty expensive for these trucks. Ours is an 01.

scagrider22
07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I have a Gibson single side exit on mine its dual 3.5" into the muffler and a single 4" out with a 5" tip. It is Gibson's towing exaust it was a direct bolt on it looks great and its not too loud, and I did notice a little better fuel/towing power (also have K&N intake and trottle body spacer).

topsites
07-16-2010, 03:53 AM
Tell you one thing, in business we don't replace mufflers for the reasons of sound,
that kind of stuff is for kids and ricers and whoever can afford to throw money around
because in a business the only time the exhaust system gets touched is when it leaks,
and I'm not talking about a suspicion of a leak, I'm talking it leaks
because half the neighborhood knows it does.

This should go without saying but having been there I thought I'd mention we also don't go looking
for how to create a leak for the reason of replacing something that wasn't broken to begin with,
what I am aiming at is the only time we work on the truck is when it absolutely needs it because
something has broken due to regular wear and tear.

Then it is a matter of pricing components and while I'm not unsympathetic to
wanting a nice sounding tone to come out of it all, it is a matter of pricing the
components and seeing just what is available, how to make it all fit within a budget.

The muffler alone is 80 dollars, maybe more.
Each one of those clamps is $5, $10, you'll need several plus muffler mend tape, it adds up quick,
believe me I spent somewhere between 150-200 doing mine (yes it leaked) and then it took 3 days!
Some are not as complicated, my car took less than an afternoon in comparison but the truck was a piece of work,
just how it is with some vehicles.

So we take it from there but again we don't stick glass packs, stacks or fart pipes on a truck for no good reason,
we replace what's broken, if it's broken.

scagrider22
07-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Tell you one thing, in business we don't replace mufflers for the reasons of sound,
that kind of stuff is for kids and ricers and whoever can afford to throw money around
because in a business the only time the exhaust system gets touched is when it leaks,
and I'm not talking about a suspicion of a leak, I'm talking it leaks
because half the neighborhood knows it does.

This should go without saying but having been there I thought I'd mention we also don't go looking
for how to create a leak for the reason of replacing something that wasn't broken to begin with,
what I am aiming at is the only time we work on the truck is when it absolutely needs it because
something has broken due to regular wear and tear.

Then it is a matter of pricing components and while I'm not unsympathetic to
wanting a nice sounding tone to come out of it all, it is a matter of pricing the
components and seeing just what is available, how to make it all fit within a budget.

The muffler alone is 80 dollars, maybe more.
Each one of those clamps is $5, $10, you'll need several plus muffler mend tape, it adds up quick,
believe me I spent somewhere between 150-200 doing mine (yes it leaked) and then it took 3 days!
Some are not as complicated, my car took less than an afternoon in comparison but the truck was a piece of work,
just how it is with some vehicles.

So we take it from there but again we don't stick glass packs, stacks or fart pipes on a truck for no good reason,
we replace what's broken, if it's broken.

Are you done...Thanks for the life lesson on when and how much of my money I should spend. Just for your info I didn't pay anything for mine, I got rear ended and insurance paid for it, and the truck is a personal truck that I use to haul my boat, jeep, fourwheelers, and Harley's..Glad I have alot of money to waste! :laugh:

93Chevy
07-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I personally like the sound a throaty exhaust myself...and it's improves truck mileage because it allows the engine to be more efficient. I don't like LOUD exhaust on work trucks, but I like to give my truck a little character.

STIHL GUY
07-16-2010, 07:39 PM
i found a magnaflow muffler that i am considering. has anyone heard one of these or used one??

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12469/

93Chevy
07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Looks good. I like magnaflow because mine has deep tone under acceleration, but it's quiet enough where I don't have to worry about turning too many heads, especially in a negative way.