PDA

View Full Version : Some Eye-Candy For Your Fellas!

clean_cut
07-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Hopefully you guys will enjoy looking at my postcards... I'll keep this simple, tell me the good and tell me the bad.

ANY Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Want to get picky about the angle of the drop shadows and size of the outline on the text ? Great!

About the bottle... I was playing around with my trial of Photoshop CS5 and followed this (http://www.tutorial9.net/photoshop/beverage-ad-enhancer/) tutorial at tutorial9 hopefully you guys will enjoy it. (A tablet would be nice to make those curves in those background lines smoother.

shade tree landscaping
07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
looks good, but I would throw a "reason to read" like a special or sometihng in red. Reason I say that is as it is rite now, goes rite in trash b/c FREE, or ___% off doesnt exist on the card. Just my opinion!

Where did you have them designed and how much $$?

clean_cut
07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
looks good, but I would throw a "reason to read" like a special or sometihng in red. Reason I say that is as it is rite now, goes rite in trash b/c FREE, or ___% off doesnt exist on the card. Just my opinion!

Where did you have them designed and how much $$?

Ok, maybe I'll try "1 FREE Mowing No Contract Necessary (Below it in smaller print) and put "see details on back" and on the back have "1 FREE mowing after 3 mowings" or something to that effect.

I actually put the design together myself, I have nothing to do during the summer with school out, so I've just been playing around with this.

Also, the reason that I didn't put aa "FREE Mowing" or "25% off" is because I was going to use this as a general flyer and then pass out a black and white flyer for aeration and a spring cleanup flyer in spring attached to this flyer. Maybe I'll put 20% off your first service, with a maximum amount of course, to make the add more general.

Anyway... Criticize it more!!!!! What is good and what needs to be changed?

nepatsfan
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I think it looks good. How bout making the grass a darker green? If you offer a free mowing dont give the stipulations just write call for details. I am not sure that I would put that you are a student. Although I am sure you do a nice job, people may get the impression of "some kid" doing the lawn instead of a professional. Your post card is real nice though

unkownfl
07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Hold the camera straight next time. Longer exposure on the shutter too. Kinda gray looking...

the.hines
07-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Well I think it looks great. I really like you logo. Did you design that yourself? The card is another subject I think is great looking. Are you going to have it printed somewhere or try and do it yourself?

I maybe getting you to help me with my card, I am looking for something to past out to peoples doors. Postcard or door hanger size.

93Chevy
07-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Man, you have a really strange last name! Looks good. I might do something like that this winter.

shade tree landscaping
07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't offer any free mowings this late in the season, you would be working for free for it!!! I would put in bold red "25% off" and then in fine print up to. You only have about 2-4seconds when some takes it in their hand to entice them to read it, if you can't convince them in that 2-4seconds to read on in the trash it goes. Free, large % off are all things that jump out at you when just browsing over something. Looks great overall, espically for doing it on your own! I wish I knew how to design something like that!

MarcSmith
07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
too much green. your letters get lost in the grass. you need some contrast..

fwiw no matter how purty it will still get tossed by most of the people who get them with out being read...

Cutting_perfection
07-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I would consider getting rid of the our company section, there is just too much to read. Your going to have peoples attention for a split section, make sure their catching something that will be interesting to them.

clean_cut
07-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Well I think it looks great. I really like you logo. Did you design that yourself? The card is another subject I think is great looking. Are you going to have it printed somewhere or try and do it yourself?

Thanks man, I'm definitely going to get it printed somewhere, if I buy 1,000 5x6 postcards, I can get them for about $.05 each (including shipping) from www.clubflyers.com

Hold the camera straight next time. Longer exposure on the shutter too. Kinda gray looking...
The edges of the picture are darkened in front because 1. The text shows up better 2. It causes you to focus more on the center of the picture, hopefully. Actually I took that picture with a simple point and shoot camera. I have an older cannon slr, but a dslr is just a little expensive right now($600-$1,000 could buy me 2 BR600 Mags), I would love to have one so I could go full manual in situations like this though.

I think it looks good. How bout making the grass a darker green? If you offer a free mowing dont give the stipulations just write call for details. I am not sure that I would put that you are a student. Although I am sure you do a nice job, people may get the impression of "some kid" doing the lawn instead of a professional. Your post card is real nice though
Grass on back or front? I'll play around with it, but for some reason, I liked the light grass on the back.

I think that having something about a "student" causes interest in customers or something. My first customer last year had 2 sons in the mowing business at my age, the second (referred by the 1st) was in the lawncare business at my age, another 2 customers (1 referred by the 1st) Called up and said something along the lines of "I'm trying to get a hold of the young man mowing lawns" probably interested in a teenager mowing lawns, another customer this year called me expecting me to be a college student, but was pleased with my work in the end, and another customer I think called partially because she had a son a few years younger than me and I think she liked seeing a young person working. So overall, I think I have gained lawns because I'm living a teenager living in the neighborhood, and not "another guy mowing lawns".

Man, you have a really strange last name! Looks good. I might do something like that this winter.

Yeah, most people just call me LN but hey, whatever floats your boat :laugh:

If you need any help this winter, I'd be glad to see what I can do to help.

too much green. your letters get lost in the grass. you need some contrast..

fwiw no matter how purty it will still get tossed by most of the people who get them with out being read...

I have tried a black text (even with a white stroke [outline]), but it was worse (especially on the front), I tried a white text/logo with a black stroke but it just didn't fit, and I'm sure that just about any other color would look odd other than a green, or possibly a light yellowish. Anybody have any ideas:confused:
I would consider getting rid of the our company section, there is just too much to read. Your going to have peoples attention for a split section, make sure their catching something that will be interesting to them.

I might drop "we are dedicated to providing quality service..." and replace it with some customer testimonials, what do you think? I do want to leave the part about being a teenage in the neighborhood though.

MarcSmith
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
what about a white or yellow outline on the text....

Glenn Lawn Care
07-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Lawn site makes beer.... huh!

clean_cut
07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
No man! That's the lawnsite g24 power drink:rolleyes:

clean_cut
07-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I really don't think that the whiteish yellow looks any better, I think the black stands out best on the green background and I don't think it fits just right. What do you guys think?

clean_cut
07-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Nobody wants to comment?

socallawndude
07-19-2010, 12:53 AM
I think its kinda funny you should try and make your last name and # anonymous on the bottom half, yet your co. is called Grenoble (which I assume is your last name)...and your phone number is on the top half :D

tmaxpatt
07-19-2010, 01:01 AM
looks great!

ChiTownAmateur
07-19-2010, 10:25 AM
It's much, much better than I was expecting. A few comments:

> I agree the picture color should appear sharper with a darker green lawn. The landscaping looks great, but the picture of the lawn itself must be a beautiful shade that people will want.

> The lawn picture at the bottom of the flyer is cool...i get why you did it that way. BUT -- I want a perfectly manicured lawn, so change that picture to look like a very dense, beautifully manicured lawn, and suddenly you'll see a big difference in how it looks. Currently it's cool but looks like an un-mowed lawn...

> I agree the contact info should stand out in another color.

> 5 years of experience is a big +. Being an honor student? Not so much. Yes, you may be smart, but these folks want someone who cuts a great lawn. Honor student -- good lawn guy? Not necessarily considered a +. I would simply state the business is 5 years old or something to that effect.

> Before and after shots are always a great idea and something to think about for a future flyer...When you get to a really unkempt lawn take a before shot then get an after shot when you clean it up.

I like everything else about it and even as it stands would make a good flyer. With a few tweaks I think it gets even better.

clean_cut
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
It's much, much better than I was expecting. A few comments:

> I agree the picture color should appear sharper with a darker green lawn. The landscaping looks great, but the picture of the lawn itself must be a beautiful shade that people will want.

> The lawn picture at the bottom of the flyer is cool...i get why you did it that way. BUT -- I want a perfectly manicured lawn, so change that picture to look like a very dense, beautifully manicured lawn, and suddenly you'll see a big difference in how it looks. Currently it's cool but looks like an un-mowed lawn...

> I agree the contact info should stand out in another color.

> 5 years of experience is a big +. Being an honor student? Not so much. Yes, you may be smart, but these folks want someone who cuts a great lawn. Honor student -- good lawn guy? Not necessarily considered a +. I would simply state the business is 5 years old or something to that effect.

> Before and after shots are always a great idea and something to think about for a future flyer...When you get to a really unkempt lawn take a before shot then get an after shot when you clean it up.

I like everything else about it and even as it stands would make a good flyer. With a few tweaks I think it gets even better.

Thanks a ton man, I've changed a lot since the last flyer, and I'll post another picture once I get it the way I want it. About the honor student, I want people to understand that I'm a hard working teenager, and not just "another lawn guy" almost all my customers have commented on me working at a young age, and I think they like seeing a younger person work hard, but then again, about half of them have asked if I need to use their lawnmower:laugh:

About the before and after. I think most of my target lawns already look pretty good, but I was thinking of a fall flyer something along the lines of Front-(picture of a lawn covered in autumn leaves) "let us take your lawn from this..." Back (picture of manicured lawn without a single leaf) "to this"

It's pretty funny to me now, but my 9 year old brother mentioned that the grass on the back wasn't a good idea because it didn't look neat and cut, but I sorta laughed and didn't make any changes :laugh:

Thanks a LOT everyone, God Bless!

ChiTownAmateur
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
The black stands out nicely but is not the most important thing to have stand out. The most important thing is TO CALL YOU! Make that black and leave it be, it will look nice.

On being an honor student. Listen, once you get there to talk to them and explain who you are it may be a very big plus...bright young guy wanting to work hard, responsible. But when they read your flyer, they MAY or MAY NOT like the idea of a "youngster" cutting their grass, and they may or may not like the idea that you might quit this business some day soon (because as an honor student...you may go for college, etc.)

Think carefully about your goal -- get them to call. Is being an honor student a reason for them to call? No. If you were a school tutor...yes, lawn guy? no.

Your 9-year old brother gets it, don't discount first impressions. he is absolutely right, the lawn graphic should reflect your work. Is your work pretty, but wild nad unkempt? Or is it meticulous, beautiful, what a bright young "whippersnapper" LOL! would take pride in?

"WE TAKE PRIDE IN MAKING YOUR LAWN THE ENVY OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD!"
the message that they want to hear, deep down. Every graphic, image and word should reflect that. Love the graphic you made...but not for the flyer. Fix it my man, you are pretty gifted at the graphic design part.

REMEMBER ALSO...your artwork is just that, not necessarily your work. You can use ANY IMAGE you want, don't feel obligated to only show your work.

clean_cut
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
The black stands out nicely but is not the most important thing to have stand out. The most important thing is TO CALL YOU! Make that black and leave it be, it will look nice.

On being an honor student. Listen, once you get there to talk to them and explain who you are it may be a very big plus...bright young guy wanting to work hard, responsible. But when they read your flyer, they MAY or MAY NOT like the idea of a "youngster" cutting their grass, and they may or may not like the idea that you might quit this business some day soon (because as an honor student...you may go for college, etc.)

Think carefully about your goal -- get them to call. Is being an honor student a reason for them to call? No. If you were a school tutor...yes, lawn guy? no.

Your 9-year old brother gets it, don't discount first impressions. he is absolutely right, the lawn graphic should reflect your work. Is your work pretty, but wild nad unkempt? Or is it meticulous, beautiful, what a bright young "whippersnapper" LOL! would take pride in?

"WE TAKE PRIDE IN MAKING YOUR LAWN THE ENVY OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD!"
the message that they want to hear, deep down. Every graphic, image and word should reflect that. Love the graphic you made...but not for the flyer. Fix it my man, you are pretty gifted at the graphic design part.

REMEMBER ALSO...your artwork is just that, not necessarily your work. You can use ANY IMAGE you want, don't feel obligated to only show your work.

Thanks again man, yeah, I think I'm going to switch pictures on the front (to another lawn), I also changed the picture on the back to be more "uniform". What do you think about putting a section for testimonials on the back?

clean_cut
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks again man, yeah, I think I'm going to switch pictures on the front (to another lawn I mow), I also changed the picture on the back to be more "uniform". What do you think about putting a section for testimonials on the back?

I'll put up what I've done so far... I'll still play around with everything, especially the picture on the front. I still think some parts need to be lighter, but if I lighten it too much it just looks fake.

Lawncutting27
07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
I think you should have a picture of someone mowing. In the one sec it takes to throw out the card, I thought you were a forest ranger (not really) , put the logo on top and make it easy to read. You also may want to put a call to action on their like "this offer available to the first 20 people that phone".

ChiTownAmateur
07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Honestly it's such a well-designed card my take is to get them printed ASAP and start handing them out. Time is wasting and the postcard is by far more than good enough to get a response.

Have a response plan. If you are out handing them out and the phone rings, what happens? Make sure at least you forward the calls to your cellphone so you can answer ASAP. Good luck and let us know your response (count how many you hand out and how many calls you get, then how many sign up)

# contacts
# of responses
# of new cuts

keep track of your #s and you can measure your own success rate with advertising.
Generally speaking a 1%...yes 1% return is considered good in mailings. Even 1/2 a %. I think most of the guys here have remarked around 1-3% is common.

Hand out 1000 of them...get at least 5-10 customers, maybe 30.

clean_cut
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Honestly it's such a well-designed card my take is to get them printed ASAP and start handing them out. Time is wasting and the postcard is by far more than good enough to get a response.

Have a response plan. If you are out handing them out and the phone rings, what happens? Make sure at least you forward the calls to your cellphone so you can answer ASAP. Good luck and let us know your response (count how many you hand out and how many calls you get, then how many sign up)

# contacts
# of responses
# of new cuts

keep track of your #s and you can measure your own success rate with advertising.
Generally speaking a 1%...yes 1% return is considered good in mailings. Even 1/2 a %. I think most of the guys here have remarked around 1-3% is common.

Hand out 1000 of them...get at least 5-10 customers, maybe 30.

Thanks a ton EVERYONE!

I think I'm going to do it like this... Get these postcards printed, and get a b&w aeration/fall cleanup flyer printed and connect them with tape to pass out this fall. Put out 1 round of flyers with another b&w "spring cleanup" flyer out late winter/early spring and then another flyer right before mowing starts. Sound like a good idea?

Green Industry Pro
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Awesome job man! I fail at Photoshop, but my brother is pretty pro at it (: