PDA

View Full Version : Making a circle with stone around tress? help

Jasonn B
07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
The pics below are from a neighbors house that did this. I REALLY like the way it looks, and frames the tree. I also like how the stones are at about ground level, so when you mow on the outside, you can go over the stones without sucking up mulch.

I'm not sure what stone he used, and I'm not sure what size is better to go with. I stopped at Home Depo, and they have sone that is 12" long x 4" high, and then ones that are about 8" long, and 3" high. see pic. I want a tan color. I only want to do one layer in a circle. Advice? Pros? Cons?

RAlmaroad
07-14-2010, 02:10 PM
The less angle you have on the keystone; the larger the circumference. More angle will produce a tighter circle. Lay out your keystones and cut the sod and use sand to even up the top surface. If the stones are not a proper circle; then you can use a 4" side grinder to score the angle more or less and then use a large cold chisel to cut them. I have all of the stone mason's tools and they can become quite expensive. If you don't have too much to do, then a mason's saw blade on a skill saw will score the keystones for cutting. Or you could build yourself a form and cast your own from concrete. "Be Different"

Jasonn B
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks. I don't have any tools, I just wanted to find some stones that will look good.

Which way would I put the stones down? See how there is a rough scored edge on the one side, then the back side is smooth. Do you face the smooth side toward the tree trunk?

In the top two pics, you can't see if those stones are scored on the outer edge or not, probably because they are recessed more.

unkownfl
07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Landscape curbs............. Those stones suck for one layer especially if you think you're going to be driving that mower over them.

Jasonn B
07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
The less angle you have on the keystone; the larger the circumference. More angle will produce a tighter circle. Lay out your keystones and cut the sod and use sand to even up the top surface. If the stones are not a proper circle; then you can use a 4" side grinder to score the angle more or less and then use a large cold chisel to cut them. I have all of the stone mason's tools and they can become quite expensive. If you don't have too much to do, then a mason's saw blade on a skill saw will score the keystones for cutting. Or you could build yourself a form and cast your own from concrete. "Be Different"

I went with the 12" long tan ones above. It looks great! Thanks. Luckily I didn't have to score anything.
Now I'm wanting to do my two other beds, the one would need 100 of those stones. Crap :) It looks that nice!

I was going to have the stones raised up about an inch higher than the grass, but then I thought if my mower does ride on the edge that might not be good, so I put them in flush.

Btw, what are landscaping curbs?

ElephantNest
07-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Looks great!

Think Green
07-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Jasonn,
Looks real nice...........fun digging them things in wasn't it.....especially when the ground appeared to be dry from the looks of the grass.
The only Cons to these types of face pavestone blocks is the cracks. We have the invasive grasses Bermuda and Zoysia...........the Rhizomes and stolons invade those cracks and will settle up in the mulch. We have even went the extra mile and steel edged the interior of the stones to keep out grass but the runners will still grow in the cracks. This means line-edging and or flossing of the cracks in those stones.
Once the stones settle in, it will be easier to mow over them but a heavy machine tire will flip them over toward you as you mow. Always will!!!

Jasonn B
07-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks! I actually rained about 2" almost 3 days before which made it much, much easier, because that ground is usually hard! Some more pics.

I didn't put down any sand, as I was told by more than a few people that since it's only one layer it wouldnt really matter. They do look very nice!

unkownfl
07-29-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.classiccurbs.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook/view.nhtml?profile=scrapbook&UID=10050

BTW we were saying to score the stone so you don't have the gap in between the stones. See how you have a V in the beds between the stones. It does look great and I love the darker mulch you guys have up north it looks more natural. I hate this red crap and lava rocks people tend to love down here.

shooterm
07-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Lava rock is putrid crap. Its even some of the most expensive aggregrate here. Even worse then that is the rubber mulch. It should be considered littering when you put that stuff down. Only bad thing I've heard on black mulch is the fades in a year and turns grey. Looks very nice in that open area.

White Gardens
07-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Next time you should use Type S Mortar and set those puppys so they never move.

A mower is going to pop them up as soon as you run over them.

cut level
07-29-2010, 08:25 AM
They wont pop up if you dont run over them just run the weedeater around it and no worries. Wont take 2 seconds to zip around those beds.

THEGOLDPRO
07-29-2010, 09:31 AM
i like it, good job man

clean_cut
07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah, looks great man, keep up the good work!

davis45
07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
That stuff usually looks like crap IMO. One of the few times i've liked that kind of block...nice job.

Jasonn B
03-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Update, stones still looking good. I've rode over them a lot and they are holding up. Just a few have tilted in a little, and what's the best way to adjust them? Pull one out, and put some sand below it, then replace and tamp it back down?

They really look good.

bamaturf
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
looks good , i like em flush mounted like that. i dont like the smaller blocks
set up 1 or 2 courses high, trimming nightmare. the way you did the blocks it
would be easy to mow & trimm.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Update, stones still looking good. I've rode over them a lot and they are holding up. Just a few have tilted in a little, and what's the best way to adjust them? Pull one out, and put some sand below it, then replace and tamp it back down?

They really look good.

I do them alot ones had to raise I would use concrete mix put in dry help to level them up once it hardens they dont move any more
I installed 9 tree rings about 8 yrs ago and last yr we had lots rain and they moved some and think Customer son got to close with lawn mower they all tilted
Pick each one up add little concrete mix and installed them back Looks good as new
These was bullet edgers

Jasonn B
03-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the top on the concrete. Maybe I'll try the dry concrete instead of the sand then. WHen I get lazy i ride over them with the mower tires, which are huge, but that may be why they moved a tad.

LawnMan19
03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Late here but they look great! and it looks like you have a really nice property.