PDA

View Full Version : First Workers Comp Claim.... What should I know?

BCFLawnLandscape
07-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Had an employee drop a gate on his elbow, (because he did not properly secure it in the first place) swelled up real bad, and he went to get an xray on it, missed half day's work. Then was scheduled off the next day anyways.

Come to find out he files a claim on it (without telling me). This is the first claim I have had for my company since we started in 2005. What should I look out for, be aware of, or what documentation should I have ready to show or should have collected?

Any details would be great!

Thanks,

punt66
07-14-2010, 02:23 PM
i am assuming you have workers comp ins? If so, they will be billed. Not much to worry about.

BCFLawnLandscape
07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Yes I have workers comp Ins. Didn't know if OHSAA would be in contact w/me or not. Does this make my rates go up?

You would think that the employee would tell me that he's filing it or that I would have paperwork to fill out regarding the incident. That's why I'm so puzzled about it all.

benjammin
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Worker's Comp claims require a drug test. Any chance the employee will fail? If he does, no claim.
I'd check with a claims agent but your rates may go up so you might be better off paying out of pocket. I've worked for a few employers that paid small hospital bills rather than file claims.

maelawncare
07-14-2010, 06:16 PM
I've worked for a few employers that paid small hospital bills rather than file claims.

Isnt that how we all do it? Even on windows.

BCFLawnLandscape
07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
will they give me the option of paying out of pocket or what? Don't know if he'd fail a drug test or not.... I doubt it, he's more of a drinker.

whosedog
07-14-2010, 10:24 PM
A lot of guys I know file claims like that when they don't know how severe the injury is because if you don't see the workmans comp doctor your claim will be denied.You also have to notify your supervisor before you go or the next day if you work 2nd shift.Don't worry about osha,they have bigger fish to fry.If a lot of workers report similar claims, the insurance co requires employees to watch a training film or attend a seminar.

bohiaa
07-18-2010, 09:16 AM
it varys from state to state.

here we pay a portion of the claim.

not really nothing to worrie about,

simply let your accountaint handle all of the paperwork