PDA

View Full Version : Help staking a leaning tree

ajordan193
07-14-2010, 11:50 PM
What is the best way to re stake a tree that is leaning? I have two that I am trying to fix and nothing seems to hold the weight. I've used both metal and wooden stakes with the metal hose around the trunk, but still cannot get enough leverage to straighten it. Suggestions?

ajslands
07-15-2010, 12:30 AM
http://www.xtractorstore.com/

Not what it's made for but I'll bet it would work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
07-15-2010, 04:00 AM
what caliper is the tree? what kind of tree how tall is the tree

If these are large trees use 7 gage 4/5 foot stakes 2 per tree slammed into the ground with a sledge almost all the way in. place the stakes oposite the lean angle of the tree at a sharp angle facing away. use 1/4 inch braided steel with long quality turn buckles. with as much pressure on the tree as you can install the buckles fully extended. every week give the buckles a few turns.

ajordan193
07-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Who would sell something like that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Metal fencing stakes "not the cheap thin ones" have been seen at the homedepot. you can also use #8 (1 inch) or #9 rebar (1.25) but you need to heat the very end of it with a torch and form a loop at one end to attach the line. What also works well is heavy angle iron with a hole drilled into the end and use large heavy S hooks for the line. What ever you choose to use it needs to be of thick heavy gage and long and installed deep enough to over come the force of the tree. the key for that is where the line is attached to the steak is very low to the ground.

Smallaxe
07-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Attch your ropes as high in the tree is necessary, for proper leverage. More importantly, the rootball needs to be watered in and blended with the surrounding soil.

I understand "they" say the burlap doesn't need to be removed at planting time, but alot more time is spent, waiting for the tree to grow.

This has been a particularily windy season. I ended up staking a top-heavy 7 ft transplant myself. I staked the top branches. :)

BostonBull
07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
A duckbill anchor is what you need. This is what they were designed for, and work extremely well for this application. Dont waste money trying to make something else work.

http://foresightproducts.com/duckapp1.html

Stillwater
07-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Ya those are nice

tadpole
07-20-2010, 05:45 PM
If you haven't found a solution yet. Auger style anchors will work great. Check www.GrowersSupply.com , they also carry the braided metal cable and large turnbuckles.

AGLA
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Tree stakes are used to hold a tree in place, not to fix a leaning tree. Dig it out, straighten it up, and then stake it.

ajordan193
10-21-2010, 10:35 PM
just an update: It is a willow tree

dweav44
10-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Willow? Then put a nice size pale of water on the opposite side of the lean and it will eventually lean towards the water. JK

That ball anchoring system looked neat until it looked like the ball has to be buried at least 4" under ground to hide the 2x4s. Weird