PDA

View Full Version : if you guys could do anything to a d-max...

deerewashed
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
if you guys could do anything to an 06 d-max what would you do....the reason is am going to get one for an everyday truck and my first truck and dont know what to do to it...i have a work truck already so dont worry about that. i know i am going to buy an 06 but you guys can decide whether ext sb or ccsb. you can do anything to it with a budget of no more of 20 grand in accessories. this will all be done over a period of like 2 years. i really probs wont spend that much but really dont know what to to to one. i would like to off road and mud and such...also do some 1/4 mile and street stuff. also when i turn 18 i have a goal of participating in bullrun for those of you who know what that is. so i may use this truck or a suburu wrx sti that i want also.....lol i just realized i am into the toys! so if you guys could help me out on what would be a dirty setup on this truck that would be great..

lift?
lower?
engine stuff?
rims?
Tires?
bumpers?
color?
all that other good stuff?

thank you if you help me....
also the thing actually has to be drivable and you have to be able to get in it so not 12 inch lifts and stuff....

THANK YOU!!!:waving:

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
i would lift it 3 to 6 inches put a 35 13.50 on it if it diesel give it a banks power pack. get a tuner for it.

deerewashed
07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
ya it would tottally be a diesal.....is 4 inches high or is that kind of weak for off roading and such? i want to to be a mean deisal and i think high is meaner then low....

BrandonV
07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
obligatory:
sell it

John_DeereGreen
07-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Get a torque converter and valve body for the transmission, get gauges in it, straight pipe it and add an intake, then get EFILive...

Don't mess with the lift BS. If you want to look good, just put a set of wheels and tires on it...

deerewashed
07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
really...dont lift it? a 4 inch lift wouldnt look good on 35's?

dhunterd08
07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
push it over a cliff and use the insurance money for a powerstroke

davis45
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
EFI Live will make a Dirtymax $hit and get, man. If I ever had a Chevy thats the first thing I would do..straight pipe and EFI Live.

scagrider22
07-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Yeah that would be smart, because we all know how well the Powerjoke holds up!:hammerhead:

tnmtn
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
i have had 2 duramax's. the fist was a '03 lb7 in a 4wd ext cab dually 3500. On this one all i did was change over to a 4"mbrp straight pipe exhaust and put an AFE stage 2 intake. this made a big diffrence in EGT's. also ran a superchips programmer on level 2 mostly. added boost and egt gauge and called it good. i was very happy with the performance and towing abilitythe only thing i would do diffrent would be to try to find a reg. cab long bed 3500. i don't like the extra cabs and really don't like double cabs.
on my present truck i am running a ppe programmer on level 2. in the future i will change out the exhaust and add a egt gauge. very happy with the truck so far. it is a 4500 4wd . lifting is something i never considered. for heavy offroad i would get a designated offroad truck/buggy. the more you do to offroad it the less practical it becomes for the street.

Kel Klip
07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Put a cummins in it but leave the allison tranny. No really 35 inch Toyo mt the 10ply ones. I have a smarty programer in my dodge with 50hp injectors. Cold air intake 3 inch lift in the front, shift kit and 6inch exhaust. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

deerewashed
07-16-2010, 01:50 PM
wow i left for ike an hour and got alot of responses...this is not a work truck...so dont do lift just beef the f*** out of the engine?

AEL
07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Its not the best idea to start jacking up and modifying your daily driver, work vehicle, and your offroad race truck. Your relying on that truck everyday , and what will you do if you eff it up off roading ?

I would suggest just using it as a work/daily driver. No more then a 4" lift, intake, exhaust, gauges, tuner ( as much as i hate them , i would recomend an edge, bd, or banks tuner , that you can tune on the go, instead of plug, program, unplug type programmer) PPE, or EFI live are excellent if you want to make serious power but you dont want to be towing a trailer or driving with a load on the back of your truck with a race or extreme street tune on it, and having to stop for 5-10 minutes every time you want to change the tune does get annoying.

dhunterd08
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah that would be smart, because we all know how well the Powerjoke holds up!:hammerhead:

I am jk. I would gladly drive either. It is all about how you treat a vehicle IMO

scagrider22
07-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I am jk. I would gladly drive either. It is all about how you treat a vehicle IMO

Very true! :drinkup:

93Chevy
07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Full dual exhaust, intake, chips, etc for the motor front leveling kit, chrome rims, Cooper STT tires for major items.

Also, recon smoke marker lights, LED tailgate strip, big mudflaps with chrome trim and LED marker lights, chrome running boards with LED marker lights, matching bed cap with LED marker lights, chrome brush guard, and LED marker lights in the grille. Oh yeah, big western style mirrors.

If money was no object. And it's a personal truck.

The-Other-Side
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I have a 06' 2500, est. cab, 4x4, dmax. I've done a 4" exhaust, leveling kit, airbags, and new intake. With it being a work truck I'm not going to do any other tuning or lifting to it. If I could, I would do a 4" lift with 35's and the banks package.

360ci
07-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I buy trucks for what they can do, not be a street queen.

Junior M
07-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Dont put it in the mud, that just tears stuff up. I've put the 2wd run around truck in the mud more than the 2500HD.

I'd level it
as big of a tire as will fit on the stock rims
cold air intake
straight pipe it with 4in from the turbo back.
throw a lowpro Camlocker toolbox in it
last i'd put a programmer on it

davis45
07-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Dont put it in the mud, that just tears stuff up.

I'd level it
as big of a tire as will fit on the stock rims

This just makes no sence. Why would you level it and put as big of tire as possible to be a street queen. Thats what them rich spoiled city boys do.

360ci
07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
This just makes no sence. Why would you level it and put as big of tire as possible to be a street queen. Thats what them rich spoiled city boys do.

Ha. I gotta admit that it's better than lowering the truck and throwing on some 26" wheels!

Lawn Man Dave
07-17-2010, 03:57 PM

I knew a guy with a suburban that had the highest legal lift and largest/talest legal tires on it and drove it all over, even off road if I remember..... tire noise was BAD! But he was able to fit a lot of girls in it haha. I was in a ferrari one night when he was driving it and were were a little affraid of him not seeing us and runing us over.....

mowerbrad
07-17-2010, 08:04 PM
You are going to be spending a heck of a lot of money on this truck. The truck alone will run you $27k+ if you buy it any time soon. Then once you add on the $20k in performance mods you want...you'll be looking at close to $50k or so once you finish with everything (over the two years like you say).

If I were you, I'd get the crew cab, short bed....crew cabs are much nicer than extended cabs when you want to have passengers with you or when you want to put stuff inside the truck and not outside.

If you want to do all the off roading stuff and racing type stuff....then I wouldn't really want this truck to be my "daily driver". Doing these types of things are what make things go wrong with trucks. I'm not saying to not put performance upgrades on but usually you will have to put a ton of work into the truck in order for it to operate well and long with all the performance stuff on there.

If you plan on getting the truck tuned more than a minor tune, get a built transmission...even the great allison tranny won't last long with a major tune. Put in all the guages running up the "A-post". Put 5" stacks on there too. I'd also upgrade the injectors. I think a 3" leveling kit would be fine. Add new headlights and tail lights, chrome brush guard and a cross over tool box.

But I'm not really into the whole performance mods, I think a stock truck (or near stock) will be more useful as a daily driver than tricked out performance truck.

deerewashed
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
i dicided with a 4 inch lift with fox shox bilistean stuff and traction bars...but i need the truck first. also i am only turning 16 and bud i got to have the hottest truck in the school parking lot...and town. i also want to beat the snobby rich kids whos parents gave them a lambo (one kid got one for graduation this year) oh and more than half these kids dont know how to drive for s***

TGM
07-18-2010, 12:29 AM
why don't you do whatever YOU feel like doing to the truck, not what people on here think you should do. if you want a 12 or 11 second street truck, prepare to spend some money.

Junior M
07-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Because an unlevel truck setting on its nose is ugly as shat.

And why not? You can fit 35s on a 4wd chevy/GMC 2500HD without cutting anything.

I'd rather do that than lift because I personally dont like a lifted truck, especially not to drive everyday. And I work out of and pull with my trucks. Not something I wanna do with a lifted truck.

And yeah, I am rich, spoiled, city boy. :rolleyes: Must be alot of us around here? Considering you cant count all the trucks set up like this. I know 5 people with 2500s set up just like I mentioned(leveling kit and tires and some have winches) and I happen to have one the same way.

We all hunt out of our trucks in some of the nastiest swamp you've ever seen on the weekends then were right back to work in the same truck that following week. It makes sense to do the things we do to our trucks.

mowerbrad
07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
i dicided with a 4 inch lift with fox shox bilistean stuff and traction bars...but i need the truck first. also i am only turning 16 and bud i got to have the hottest truck in the school parking lot...and town. i also want to beat the snobby rich kids whos parents gave them a lambo (one kid got one for graduation this year) oh and more than half these kids dont know how to drive for s***

So the only reason you want to have this dmax is to show off to all the rich kids you go to school with and that live in your town? So this truck will be more of a status symbol than anything?

DoetschOutdoor
07-18-2010, 11:58 AM
This has got to be one of the f'ing dumbest threads on here! Get the $25k truck first with your mommys money and then you can try to get the other 20k for accesories from your daddy. THEN, you can try and find someone reputable around you that can build and tune your mommmys diesel. THEN, you can find a good repair shop that can fix what you break. LOL, 50k truck so you can compete with the other kids? HMMMMMMMM.

I want to off road, I want big wheels, I want 1000hp, I want to run the 1/4 mile, then I want to go do the bull run. BUT it all has to be in the same day. Get the F real kid.

DoetschOutdoor
07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Leveling kit with big meats is the new way to go. Why would you want to jack your already tall truck up another 4 or 6 inches? That creates driveline problems, decreased ride quality, and Im kinda short so I dont wanna climb in and out of my rig 20x a day. And lifting a truck with IFS, nooooooo thank you. Lifts are cool and dandy for the rich folks that dont hafta use their rigs or have a dedicated work rig and drive the show truck after work.

davis45
07-18-2010, 12:30 PM
And yeah, I am rich, spoiled, city boy. :rolleyes: Must be alot of us around here? Considering you cant count all the trucks set up like this. I know 5 people with 2500s set up just like I mentioned(leveling kit and tires and some have winches) and I happen to have one the same way.

We all hunt out of our trucks in some of the nastiest swamp you've ever seen on the weekends then were right back to work in the same truck that following week. It makes sense to do the things we do to our trucks.

HAHA, that wasn't directed towards you Junior. I know that you're not!

GravelyNut
07-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Ha. I gotta admit that it's better than lowering the truck and throwing on some 26" wheels!
:laugh:Why do they put 24s on a lowrider?:rolleyes:

deerewashed
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
bud i aint getting any money from my mom and dad...they are making me do what they had to do. i am going to use this truck at the strip and pull my buddies 05 mustang there. also i am going to off road. i want to be able to be proud of my truck and say i paid for it while you got cash from your mom and dad....

DoetschOutdoor
07-18-2010, 02:04 PM
bud i aint getting any money from my mom and dad...they are making me do what they had to do. i am going to use this truck at the strip and pull my buddies 05 mustang there. also i am going to off road. i want to be able to be proud of my truck and say i paid for it while you got cash from your mom and dad....

The thing is, Im looking out the window at my shiny 06 diesel and your still having wet dreams about the one your mommy is going to buy you. Ill believe it when I see it. Everybody likes to dream but keep it off a forum.

mowerbrad
07-18-2010, 02:19 PM
$25000+ is a lot of money for someone who isn't even 16 to be spending, let alone spending an extra $20000 on performance mods. So over the course of 2 years, you will buy this truck and do a ton of add-ons to it? Do you make $50k over two years?....at 15 I doubt it. Will you have $50k in the bank to purchase this truck and all the mods?....maybe, I don't know how much you have in the bank already and how much you make in a year.

But you need to keep it realistic. A 16 year old is not going to be spending $50k on a truck and a bunch of performance mods.

I am with DoetschOutdoor on this one...

deerewashed
07-18-2010, 10:34 PM
wow you guys all really have **** against this....and after reading almost 20 forums on diesel performance and offroad i have realized you guys are right...all this will cause more damage to the truck and will cost more to fix it then i am putting in it! also after visiting a friends house whos brother owns a lifted jeep and fastback 1500 that this stuff is a huge pita! also all you money freaks out there next year i could probs get a ccsb wt or lt for like 20k with 100,000 which isnt many for a diesel. i have been saving for this for over 3 years already! and have close to 20k and i could make 2k this winter and fall. then i am going to make good money working for a new landscaper. get some experience...and do my biss on the side. so after many negative comments on here about what i am thinking and getting myself into. i am going to keep it simple and actually drivable!
over these 2 years
leveling kit
new rims and tires
exhaust
chip
intake
tuner
lots of leds and a backrack.
maybe something else but nothing that would be stupid in the future. should cost about 30k max in total.

also let me tell you guys this is all i have wanted since it came out in 06. but i also like the green of the 04 or 05. so maybe that if i find a nice ext.

sorry i sounded stupid there for a minute..everybody gets a little overboard every now and then.

deerewashed
07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
also you know i just wanted to see what you would do to it with 20k....for fun!

Junior M
07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Leveling kit with big meats is the new way to go. Why would you want to jack your already tall truck up another 4 or 6 inches? That creates driveline problems, decreased ride quality, and Im kinda short so I dont wanna climb in and out of my rig 20x a day. And lifting a truck with IFS, nooooooo thank you. Lifts are cool and dandy for the rich folks that dont hafta use their rigs or have a dedicated work rig and drive the show truck after work.

There are hardly any lifted trucks around here anymore. Its all leveling kits with big tires. Its alot cheaper plus it still looks good.

HAHA, that wasn't directed towards you Junior. I know that you're not!

I was about to say, dont make me post a picture or two! :laugh:

DoetschOutdoor
07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
There are hardly any lifted trucks around here anymore. Its all leveling kits with big tires. Its alot cheaper plus it still looks good.

I was about to say, dont make me post a picture or two! :laugh:

Yep, basically the only guys around here that lift their trucks are the guys with waaaay to much $$$ invested in their gassers. See alot of 1500 trucks with big lifts just eating through the balljoints and front end parts but they dont care, they are higher than the next truck! I came and went through the lifted truck stage just like everybody else. Leveling kit might not make it on this year as the dealer put brand new 900$ tires on the day I bougth my truck but its gonna be happening sometime soon.

Junior M
07-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Yep, basically the only guys around here that lift their trucks are the guys with waaaay to much $$$ invested in their gassers. See alot of 1500 trucks with big lifts just eating through the balljoints and front end parts but they dont care, they are higher than the next truck! I came and went through the lifted truck stage just like everybody else. Leveling kit might not make it on this year as the dealer put brand new 900$ tires on the day I bougth my truck but its gonna be happening sometime soon.
So have the tire shop do it the same time as an alignment? Thats when I had mine done.

Most the trucks you see lifted around here are either older trucks (the way it should be) or guys with to much money in 1500s.

There is one 2500 thats lifted and he runs a remodeling/home building company.

I recently saw it up for sale in front of his shop. :laugh:

clydebusa
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Only powestroke possible to buy would be a 2011 because the valley is full of the older powerstrokes. I know, Ford just bought my 2008 back from me!