PDA

View Full Version : suspension advice

haulinbass
03-01-2000, 01:20 AM
i have a 89 3/4 ton chevy that i use to haul my camper. i am sagging quite a bit. i was looking into getting some overloads. i know hellwig makes a set. also would a suspension lift be better or would i still need the overloads? i was looking at the pro comp explorer 4" lift.....pricey. also i need new tires. what size tires can i get away with with just my stock suspension. i need to do something about it though. it makes alot of noise when stopping and turning while braking. a buddy of mine thought it might be my cab mounts. any help would be appreciated thanks...h-bass

crabber
03-03-2000, 04:27 PM
How about an add-a-leaf? That might help your sag and raise your rear.

John DiMartino
03-03-2000, 09:29 PM
The add a leaf will bring you up 2-3 inches empty or loaded,but require a lot more labor to install,might even need a torch and new U-bolts,depending on how bad they are.That is cheapest way to go,hellwigs are great too,just more money,but easier to install.Air bags are the best,but are a too much money and small leaks always seem to pop up no matter how good you are.If your camper is high and heavy,it will get blown around by big rigs,and wind.You might want to spend 150 or so on a rear anti-sway bar,it will help immensely,and handling empty will improve,but it will be a teeny bit rougher empty.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

plowking35
03-06-2000, 08:15 PM
I would recommend the Tibren load boosters. ANd p-265/75/16 will fit no problem.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

John DiMartino
03-07-2000, 10:23 PM
Dino,have you used the Tibren boosters?I want to buy a set,but need to hear from someone who's tried them.It looks like your 1ton could use them,F+R from the load you put on it.I am funning airlift bags on the rear of my 89 GMC,they work,but I have to manually fill them and if I load up and they are low,it could pop the bag,I am on my 2nd set now-lifetime warr.-but to much work to swap them in snow storm and wait a week for replacement bags.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

plowking35
03-08-2000, 07:27 AM
Finally John a non diesel discussion. Now I dont need to get upset.<br>Anyway, I have the Timbren on the front of my 98, front and rear of the 99 ranger, and in the rear of my 84 k-20.<br>They work great, only thing is, because of the solid type nature of the product,when empty you get decreased body roll, but a little more axel hop on bumpy roads. Also the front end rear ends seem to float at times,since the weight can not be transferred. But aside from that I love them, easy to install,about 15 min per side. And alot less $$ then new springs.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

John DiMartino
03-08-2000, 10:25 PM
Thanks Dino,no need to get upset today.I will order a set this week.I only need them in rear,front drops only an inch or so,its just a 7 1/2 on a 2500.How far from Danbury are you? <p>----------<br>John D<br>

plowking35
03-09-2000, 07:07 AM
John I am about 2 hrs away from Danbury. AW Direct has those boosters for about 180$ and the 1 ton boosters are 229.00. I bought the 1 tonners for mine, they bolt in the same spot and i liked the extra capacity.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org