PDA

View Full Version : Bad sod job to fix

Accent01
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Okay so i get this call from a lady that works for a contruction contracting comapny saying she wants to ask some question about sod. So i call her up and she says they did a remodle job and had to replace the sod the dozer and stuff tore up. So they hired a pretty well known guy in my town, no biggy.And they said he did a bad job and would like me to go look at and see what i think. so i did and it looks like some 5 year old did it , it's really bad. Sod didn't come together, laid it on top of old gas, was an inch unlevel with the other side of the yard, just really bad. I call her and say okay all this that was laid down needs to be tore back up and redone (it's only about 450sq. ft). Gound needs to be tilled and drop to match the other side, and leveled out like it needed to be done the frist time. She says okay and puts me on the phone with her boss, i tell him. Then he ask what would i charge to fix and redo the yard. I run my figures and stuff call them back and i can do it for $1700. She said that was high and needed to talk to her boss. Okay no problem. There wanting a cheap fix like the one they already had done. What is it with cheap company's that would rather do it wrong the 2 or 3 times before they want it done right?:hammerhead:

Michdeere
07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
$1700 does seem a little high for 50 yards of sod & the prep work... Maybe the market is a bit better in your area? Good luck though!

Accent01
07-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Well when you figure in labor, and other misc. things, plus profit gotta have that. Did tell her the lowest i could go is $1300. The other guy didn't even prep it he just mowed it to the ground then just laid the sod on top. So i have to fix his mess then lay the goods down.

fredmullegun
07-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Wait so did you tell them 1300 or 1700?

tlc23
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't care what area you are in, that price is outrageous. If you can get 1700 for a pallet of sod and prep, I'm packing my things and moving.

Landscape Poet
07-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't care what area you are in, that price is outrageous. If you can get 1700 for a pallet of sod and prep, I'm packing my things and moving.

I agree with this - Down here a pallet of sod 400 SQ FT = $300 if you are lucky. There are folks all over craigslist that over sod install for under $200 a pallet here. If you can get $1300 let me know, I will pack the trailer and be right there.

Michdeere
07-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't care what area you are in, that price is outrageous.

I kind of thought so...

bigslick7878
07-15-2010, 10:13 PM
LOL.

You are out of your mind.

1 pallet installed should be half of your price, and you are still making out.

Accent01
07-16-2010, 12:16 AM
LOL.

You are out of your mind.

1 pallet installed should be half of your price, and you are still making out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Accent01
07-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Okay 1 pallet of sod $150, 3cy of loam $120, sod cutter to get up old sod $80 a day, Tiller to dig down 1" to make even with other half of yard $70, 16 hrs of labor 8 hrs. per person at 25hr., plus travel time and gas to go get sand and sod witch closet to me is an hour away. So maybe a little high but still looking close to $1000. You can't do sod jobs here for $300 or less. The cheapest maybe $500 and that's if you already have things in your posseion already don't have to go rent stuff.

bigslick7878
07-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Okay 1 pallet of sod $150, 3cy of loam $120, sod cutter to get up old sod $80 a day, Tiller to dig down 1" to make even with other half of yard $70, 16 hrs of labor 8 hrs. per person at 25hr., plus travel time and gas to go get sand and sod witch closet to me is an hour away. So maybe a little high but still looking close to $1000. You can't do sod jobs here for $300 or less. The cheapest maybe $500 and that's if you already have things in your posseion already don't have to go rent stuff.

How are you adding 3 yards of soil (that is a lot for 450ft), and how do you plan to use a tiller to "dig down" 1 inch?

Seems a little counterproductive if the grade need to be an inch lower no?

16 hours is about double how long this should take too.

Harley-D
07-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Hit any hard compacted soil with a tiller and it about triples in volume. Till up, remove crap soil, add ammendment and fert., 50 yards sod @ $5/yd, whole job-half day with a helper and about 7-800 bucks.

NKOTB
07-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Harley has it bang on. I did this job by myself yesterday actually. Ripped up gravel/landscape sheet in the backyard. About 430 square feet. 2 yards of soil (it was a little more than what I needed) and 44 rolls of 9 sq feet sod.

My profit on the job was 470 and they still thought that was too much!!

TGM
07-18-2010, 12:23 AM
My profit on the job was 470 and they still thought that was too much!!

welcome to the landscaping industry. cheap customers are abundant! :hammerhead:

MDLawn
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
welcome to the landscaping industry. cheap customers are abundant! :hammerhead:

I'm not always sure it is just the customer. Law of supply and demand. "Landscapers" are in such high supply that the demand for true landscapers is low. What does that equal? Too many people who haven't a clue how to price things or do things. When I started in this business 10 years ago having a landscaper or even a lawn service was looked at as a privileged thing to have as they weren't cheap. Now every person has their lawn cut and landscaped because it is soo cheap to have done. Why break your back when someone else can for peanuts. And why buy a great $200-300 push mower when someone will cut your lawn for that or less? Just as is posted over and over and over again (and I am doing it now). Down economy, high job loss, ease of starting in this business lends itself to where it is now. I just pass on cheap customers. If I can't make what I want in this business then time to close and move on. Sorry to rant but if a customer is cheap who cares, move on to the next one. You probably wouldnt want to work for them anyways.

TGM
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm not always sure it is just the customer. Law of supply and demand. "Landscapers" are in such high supply that the demand for true landscapers is low. What does that equal? Too many people who haven't a clue how to price things or do things. When I started in this business 10 years ago having a landscaper or even a lawn service was looked at as a privileged thing to have as they weren't cheap. Now every person has their lawn cut and landscaped because it is soo cheap to have done. Why break your back when someone else can for peanuts. And why buy a great $200-300 push mower when someone will cut your lawn for that or less? Just as is posted over and over and over again (and I am doing it now). Down economy, high job loss, ease of starting in this business lends itself to where it is now. I just pass on cheap customers. If I can't make what I want in this business then time to close and move on. Sorry to rant but if a customer is cheap who cares, move on to the next one. You probably wouldnt want to work for them anyways.

i agree. this year i've just been so frustrated trying to fight guys who have no idea what they're doing. sure mowing lawns is one thing.. but there's a lot of hack work out there and unfortunately a lot of us get thrown in the stigma of cheap landscapers even though we're not. i've just seen it get bad enough to the point where passing on those customers means little work (i only take care of good customers who pay well and pay on time). i'm working my way out of the landscaping into my other business which i'm enjoying much more(still related to the industry). for others who are more successful, hats off to you guys.

it is what it is..

MDLawn
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I understand the frustrations. It seemed that 5 years ago you had to turn work away. Now its hard to get any work.