PDA

View Full Version : Fried

buysell
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
planted an area 40x30 with vigoro tttf...about 1 month ago...it came up quickly...had some high temps 100-105 here in north jersey...its fried...im talking not a hint of green...its actually blond......Im looking for direction on what type of seed should i get next..the area is full sun all day..looking for the most drought resistant seed that will not turn brown without a fight (mix or a blend and the type exactly by name)...i had seeded another area with pennington north east blend( 30-kbg-30 prgrass),which appears to have held up but its not in the sun all day..
please let me know your thoughts behind your suggestion:clapping:

thanks in advance:waving:

i also plan on overseeding the whole lawn 35k sq ft..the current lawn is medium dark green (dark green to me is rebel tttf)

ChiTownAmateur
07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
A newly established lawn cannot stay green in 100-105 heat without some serious watering.

Even if fully established, without water any type of grass is going to go dormant without water.

My 2c: 1) You have selected the right type of grass. TTTF is drought resistant and can withstand full sun. KBG can withstand full sun and will look better, but requires more water and fertilizer. 2) The better strategy to consider is to think about what you can do to the soil to insure deep rooting so that the TTTF can withstand drought and high heat as best as possible.

But I don't think you'll find a magic elixir to keep it green in 100-105 heat without a lot of water...the other solution would be something to shade the grass...trees, shrubs, etc.

phasthound
07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
You seeded at just about the worst time of year for NJ, especially in a year like this. Let it go for now; add organic matter and in late August power seed with TTTF, KGB & PR; topdress with 1/4" compost and keep the seed moist by frequent shallow watering for 6-8 weeks.

buysell
07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
thanks phas and chi

i took a shot at seeding...went up against mthr nature and lost round one...please advise me on your suggestions as to the exact type of seed mix youd suggest...so i can go and get it....

thanks again...and if a fescue is in the mix with kbg and prgrass would it be a "fine" fescue or tall?.....i heard tall makes thing a bit lumpy

:)

bigslick7878
07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
How bout you wait til the right time of year and not try to grow seed in the dead of summer?

Hold your horses for a month and a half until Sept.

RigglePLC
07-15-2010, 10:40 PM
If it was a mixture--you may have been looking at mostly perennial rye.
I sugggest redo it about when temps fall below 80--say late August. But be sure soil temps are still warm--which results in fast germination. Water every day for 30 days. High-quality Turf Type Tall Fescue (TTTF) should work well, but it should be mixed with some Kentucky bluegrass to provide better ability to creep, and fill-in dead spots. Add some quality perennial rye--no more than 10 percent, (for fast fill-in).

buysell
07-16-2010, 12:02 AM
riggle....give me a ratio on the mix...and you suggest tttf instead of fine fescue?...need to confirm, thought and heard the tttf with kbg looks clumpy

thnks!!

RigglePLC
07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Buysell,
I don't care for fine fescue--dies quick in heat. Go with a top-quality TTTF (Turf Type Tall Fescue). Perhaps:
http://www.pickseed.com/usa/Products/PDF/mustang_4_ts.pdf

Their paragraph says it blends well with Bronco KBG. This reduces the clumpiness, because tall fescue has no ability to creep. Ten percent KBG creeps to fill-in thin spots. You want a top-quality TTTF because it will have finer leaf blades and blend well with KBG. Ten percent perennial rye for quick cover (Variety like Amazing, Silver Dollar, or Blazer IV are good). Scotts seed mixture with "Thermal Blue" KBG might suit your situation. Get "Pure Premium " Scotts seed--don't get Scotts "Classic" --the cheap stuff). Most Scotts seed now comes coated with a thick water-abosorbing coating, so each bag is only 50 percent seed. TTTF needs to go down at about 8 to 10 pounds per thousand sq feet, (double or triple the amount of other types of seed). Don't skimp. You want about 5 to 10 seeds in an area the size of a quarter.

You really need underground sprinkling. At least get a battery operated hose timer to turn the water on and off all summer ($15.95). (you need 4 AA batteries).

Power rake the old lawn double-over until almost nothing is left of the old grass. Remove residue. Spread the seed and starter fertilizer--rake it in, to bury most of it about a quarter inch deep. (You may spread the residue from step one to serve as straw mulch.) Water everyday for 30 days. Omit water for one day so soil can support lawnmower, and mow it. Apply a grass fertilizer and water again. Now keep mowing, because regular mowing at 3 inches encourages grass to spread sideways. Most of the grass at this point is ryegrass. Don't let it get tall. You don't want the rye to crowd out the other grasses. TTTF will be rather slow to get started. KBG is even slower, thin as a hair and no more than a half-inch tall at this point. Fertilize again in a month--and again in late fall. Plan your work--work your plan. Your grass will look outstanding.

ChiTownAmateur
07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Also use your free resources. Wherever you go to buy seed they have experts there that are chomping at the bit to give the advice they know so well. Tell them your situation exactly and they will happily give you one of their mixtures that is perfectly suited to your conditions.

Here's just one idea:
http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Seedland&Category_Code=TALL-REBELFESCUE

buysell
07-16-2010, 09:48 PM
thanks guys...going to look into the mustang4 and bronco mix...i assume i can only buy it from them..i looked around online and havent found it out there

thnks again...good job!:clapping: