PDA

View Full Version : Working with GIANT trees

mdvaden
07-16-2010, 12:22 AM
This forum category says "pictures of your work" ... so here you go.

The last year opened the door to work among the coast redwoods, helping to look for and measure the tallest redwoods. A nice part time work on the side from my urban landscape and pruning.

In my free time, and during work, unusually shaped trees are seen along with many that are a bit more streamlined.

olaf valle
07-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Is that california? You must love your work.

bobcat48
07-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Wow,that is really big.

mdvaden
07-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Is that california? You must love your work.

Yes. The man I help also measures near Humboldt State Redwoods State Park, but that area is flatter and more open. Most assistance is needed in the dense, rugged and steep parks of Jedediah Smith, Prairie Creek and Redwood National Park, between Orick and Crescent City.

Last week, one day involved 3 miles on a trail, bushwhacking off trail, and 4 miles up and down Redwood Creek wearing water shoes. Wading up to our chest and holding packs over our heads. That has to be July and August work.

It was rather interesting walking between the walls of trees and watching river otters bob up and down from the surface on the return.

joef450snowplow
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
im sorry but does anyone else see what i see oon the first tree! haha

punt66
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
im sorry but does anyone else see what i see oon the first tree! haha

yes, i did, and i thought the thread was going to be about funny pics hahah.

joef450snowplow
07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
hahahahahahaha!

a plus bob
07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
im sorry but does anyone else see what i see on the first tree! haha

That's some serious wood :laugh:

93Chevy
07-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Man, you'd need a whole load of mulch to take care of that tree ring.

Az Gardener
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes those trees are surreal. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in the redwood forest when I asked her to marry me very memorable.

Who pays you to wade through streams and measure trees?

JFGauvreau
07-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Wow those are impressive, never really saw a tree that big in real life, that first picture is funny

joef450snowplow
07-16-2010, 10:03 PM
That's some serious wood :laugh:

HAHAHGAHAHAHAHAHAA! lmao:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mdvaden
07-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes those trees are surreal. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in the redwood forest when I asked her to marry me very memorable.

Who pays you to wade through streams and measure trees?

The paycheck come through a sponsored programs office at Humboldt State University, which manages funds and contributions for various projects. There were mulitiple contributors to fund this particular project.

My project coordinator is a canopy researcher. What we are looking for are high spots in the canopy indicated by LiDAR (see Wikipedia). A plane flew over several parks slowly and LiDAR instuments emitted 80,000 laser pulses per second. That's how the high points in canopy were found.

After that, a few of us go in on foot and look around those areas for the tallest trees we can find using handheld laser rangefinders. If we find redwoods taller than 106 meters in the area, then we measure and photograph them for the research project.