PDA

View Full Version : Post Emergent

scottrees
07-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Looking for a good post emergent for some large flower beds. Lots of gardenia's, mexican heather, crepe myrtle, juniper, caladiums, along with variety of annuals. I was just pulling as weeds came up, but its getting worse and worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smallaxe
07-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Spraying flower beds is risky proposition. Pre-M is ideal for this situation. Apply at planting time b4 the weeds get going.

scottrees
07-18-2010, 06:01 PM
yeah, problem is I just took over, had nothing to do with original planting. Weeds keep getting worse every couple of weeks.

Florida Gardener
07-19-2010, 12:11 AM
If the bed is "full" meaning that the plants take up most of the room and the weeds are growing through the plants, the plants need to be trimmed less to block out weeds. You will have to hand pull until that happens.

If the bed isn't full and the weeds are growing near the plants, use a pre-m mixed with gly and spray the beds. I use Sureguard and have great results with it. You will get a 3-day burndown if you mix the Sureguard with gly and will get at least 4 months of coverage during the growing season.

scottrees
07-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Bed is no where near full. Also, mulch could stand to be thicker. Has a "weed guard" that doesn't help things at all. Thanks for the advice.

Florida Gardener
07-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Then I would suggest re-mulching and then doing a pre-emergent. It will vastly help the weed issues.