PDA

View Full Version : Underground Wire cut

ffeo85
07-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I recently purchased a Bed Edger. On my second trip out, after communicating with the homeowner where underground wires were located. I cut a underground wire located more shallow than homeowner thought and in a different location. What is the best/economic device to locate wire to hopefully avoid future incidents?

Think Green
07-18-2010, 10:21 AM
What kind of wire?............I am sure it wasn't large volatage or wattage or you probably wouldn't be talking to us.
There are locator's available but can be expensive.
The best defense is to call the 811 number before you dig at all. The homeowner doesn't know hill of beans about depth of their wires,etc.

ffeo85
07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for your response

underPSI
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
The best defense is to call the 811 number before you dig at all.

Exactly. It does not cost a dime to have every wire on the property located. It does cost a dime or two or 500 to fix a cut line such as the case you are in. You are ultimately responsible since you cut the line. Never go by what the homeowner says. Always have the lines marked.

Think Green
07-19-2010, 08:35 PM
If you have cut irrigation wire..........low voltage wires,etc. Then this is nothing but a few caps/w-silicone.........and the time digging to find the breaks.
No harm in asking as the real only lines that will get attention are the electrical, fiber, phone, gas and water. Then again, the depth isn't always accurate, so as long as the spots are located and a major utility is cut you can have it repaired. If I am correct, the locating is done within 48 hours of your call. The small wiring issues are of low cost to you. Be careful--10 years ago; a lone contractor cut a node of buried fiber that fed a couple of city blocks................this cost him over 100,000.00 for down time, repairs, fines, and heartache.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Call before you dig.

jvanvliet
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
In Florida its NoCuts.. for free.

I've cut plenty of cable TV wire the Co. pulled through the hedges or didn't bother to bury & secure properly. Not my problem; if the cable, wire or whatever is properly buried, it's be tough to cut with an edger

Stillwater
07-20-2010, 05:49 PM
call before you "dig" is a must but for bed edging? nope that is not digging. low voltage is ignored anyway the only lines that will be located during a dig safe call is utility installed gas lines, utility installed telephone lines, utility installed electric 120 volt and over and utility installed water lines utility installed cable lines. nothing else. so your on your own for landscape lighting wire, irrigation wire and piping and invisible fence wire and well wiring and plumbing.

ffeo85
07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks a heap!

JeffNY
07-21-2010, 01:12 AM
I cut 2 phone lines, and a cable line this week. None of which is my problem, they were all within 3" of the surface. Most of them were old lines apparently, because everything works fine at both places. Oh well.
I used to fix the cable lines after I cut them, now I just call em and tell them the address to go fix it

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
miss utility hires the dumbest people. well for starters they don't tell u how deep the line is buried bellow the surface. second they don't mark all the lines. and when your dealing with Verizon phone line it is just about an inch to 2 inches bellow ground i have cut there line 7 times this year.

AzLawnMan
07-22-2010, 10:56 AM
I recently purchased a Bed Edger. On my second trip out, after communicating with the homeowner where underground wires were located. I cut a underground wire located more shallow than homeowner thought and in a different location. What is the best/economic device to locate wire to hopefully avoid future incidents?

For one, on any major dig we get it Blu-Staked for free. We are removing a 30ft palm and I had it marked and what do you know, an electrical line ran right underneath the palm. Anyways whenever I am messing with the dirt and there may be some low-voltage lines there I have a wire tracer that I use to give me a location of where wires may run. Now it doesnt give me the depth, but if I know where the wires may run, I can tell my guys to be carfull before going crazy. You can rent a wire-tracer from a sprinkler store pretty cheap. I connect it to sprinkler wire, malibu lights, etc and it works well for us. Oh and in my invoice I have the customer sign before we do the dig, it says, "Not responsible for any damage to any lines cut or damaged, accident or inadvertant. Not resposible for PVC, gas or electricle lines" and so on, basically I am not responsible for anything that I break under ground. I then have the customer sign and date, then intial every page.

shooterm
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Be very careful in private communities the locators wont mark private power like for street light. Invis fence and irrigation is very annoying due to pretty much no standard bury depth. Also be advised with private installed wire when they use a ditch witch they wont follow a straight line. Either the operator is stoned or they have a underpowered machine so they will go where they please. What most people will do is pot hole if unclear of line locations. Pothole spots a line would travel through on your work area. In all you'll hit these lines at times and should find a way to cover yourself for above contracts. There is no excuse for hitting Gas or Fiber though. You hit these your in for alot of trouble.

Kiril
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.tempo-textron.com/prod_list.cfm?cat=800&subcat=802