PDA

View Full Version : Re-edging mulch beds

JCS Landscaping
07-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,
looking for some opinions from some of you guys that have been doing this for more years than I. Looking for the easiest means to redefine mulch bed edges for the beds that dont need to be widened. I finished up a job for an in law where we had to cut sod for 30 plus trees. most had outgrew there original bed, so we had to use a sod cutter to widen them. Got me thinking... I never want to haul that much sod again!!! So what works best for you guys? Do the stick bed redefiners really work that well? Thanks for any input.

Schuley
07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I just bought a echo bed redefiner, and i've only used it once so far (just bought it on wednsday) and the 1 flower bed I used it on worked really well. Takes a minute or 2 to figure out your technique, like everything, but after that I think its way faster! i'd recommend it.

JCS Landscaping
07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Was wondering if they worked well. Anything beats cutting sod when its not really needed. Thanks for the input.

ajslands
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
i use a flat shovel becuase it leaves a cleaner cut IMO

Schuley
07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Have you used a redefiner? its as clean, or cleaner than a shovel.....and a billion times faster and less labor intensive
I dont think I can ever use a shovel again for anyting except finishing up against a sidewalk or building.

White Gardens
07-19-2010, 08:15 AM
I use a Stihl yard boss tiller head on the end of my FS90. Unlike the echo re-definer, It has a much wider area to use instead of one little blade.

I can also take the tines off individually, so I can get the exact results I'm looking for.

I just did a 20 yard job where I needed to expand the beds. I just rented a bed-edger and went wider where I needed to. Then I just sprayed the grass between the new cut edge and the old edge, covered it over with mulch and walked away.

JCS Landscaping
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a winning combo. I'll have to look into the boss tiller head. Thanks for all the input guys.

White Gardens
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a winning combo. I'll have to look into the boss tiller head. Thanks for all the input guys.

I've got the cultivator tines on mine, but I'm in the market for a set of bolo(sp?) tines to help dig a little more aggressively.

Mark Oomkes
07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
In all seriousness, you need 3 pieces of equipment:

1) Sodcutter for the above mentioned jobs
2) Bed Shaper\Brown or something along those lines for in between jobs
3) Echo Redefiner for those jobs that just need a touch-up.

IMO, there really isn't only one piece, wish there was, but there isn't.

Some overgrown or neglected jobs are going to need a sod cutter.

Some will need the Bed Shaper\Brown type because they aren't really overgrown, but the Redefiner is too small.

hackitdown
07-19-2010, 02:59 PM
I rented an Echo Bed Redefiner a couple of weeks ago. Ordered one the next day, paid about $670, but the dealer refunded the rental fee.

I used it today. I re-did about a 120' edge in about 2 minutes by myself. No exaggeration. I cleaned up after it with a blower, and it was ready for mulch. Huge labor savings.

I does not work well for cutting a new bed. So we had to cut the new edges with a half-moon edgers and a spade. However, we went over it with the BRD after to make the edge look super clean and smooth. But it is absolutely awesome at doing what it is designed for. The video on the Echo site is realistic.

JCS Landscaping
07-19-2010, 05:50 PM
cool. in your opinions which unit do you all feel you use most frequent? prob wont buy a sod cutter anytime soon with the cheap price of rentals. but wouldnt mind looking into the others. Can the larger wheeled edgers, not the sticks, be used to cut new bed edges? or are those still more for sidewalk edging and such. seeing so many 4sale on c-list.

Mark Oomkes
07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
cool. in your opinions which unit do you all feel you use most frequent? prob wont buy a sod cutter anytime soon with the cheap price of rentals. but wouldnt mind looking into the others. Can the larger wheeled edgers, not the sticks, be used to cut new bed edges? or are those still more for sidewalk edging and such. seeing so many 4sale on c-list.

Hmmm, good question.

Yes, the larger can cut new edges and will do a better job than the Redefiner, but the Redefiner does a really nice, quick job of touching up beds.

I think if I had to pick one, it would probably be the Redefiner and would rent one of the others as needed.

beegreenlandcare
07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm guessing seeing as you live in NE WI you have lighter, but rocky soils up there. Not the clay we have here in the S.E.
You'll get by w/ the Echo just fine. Keep in mind your edge will not hold as long or be as crisp w/ sandier soils.

JCS Landscaping
07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
wish they made a catch all lol. will have to try each and see what works best. thanks 4 all the help guys.

georgiagrass
07-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Brown Bed Edger.

White Gardens
07-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Brown Bed Edger.

I used one the other day for extending out some beds and I hated it. It works great for new beds, but when extending or trying to re-define, you can't get close to the original trench without dropping the wheels in it.

hackitdown
07-22-2010, 08:27 AM

I do mostly maintenance. I went with the Echo because each spring we do many mulching edging jobs in beds that were edged/mulched 2 or 3 years ago, then let go. Around here, bed edging is usually only done just prior to mulch. So this spring we did 3 or 4 thousand feet of edging by hand. I plan to do all of it with the Echo next year rather than with laborers.

I usually only cut maybe 250' of new bed edges per year. So for now, it will be a hand edger and a shovel.

And at the price (although the price is high for what it is), it is an easier decision.

Herb Flerb
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I use a Stihl yard boss tiller head on the end of my FS90. Unlike the echo re-definer, It has a much wider area to use instead of one little blade.

I can also take the tines off individually, so I can get the exact results I'm looking for.

I just did a 20 yard job where I needed to expand the beds. I just rented a bed-edger and went wider where I needed to. Then I just sprayed the grass between the new cut edge and the old edge, covered it over with mulch and walked away.

when you have sod and soil behind your edge that is not shreaded by the blade take a shovel and a wheelbarrow and get rid of it! you wont break out in a rash if you have to do a little hand labor.

White Gardens
03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
when you have sod and soil behind your edge that is not shreaded by the blade take a shovel and a wheelbarrow and get rid of it! you wont break out in a rash if you have to do a little hand labor.

Why? Just spray it and let it break down back into the bed, this way your not removing any organic material from the beds and just adding to the health of the beds.

Besides, all my cut edges are maintained, so when I go back and define the edges, all I have to do is till those sections and re-cover.

Groomer
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I own and use a brown bededger and its worth mentioning that there are multiple blade available-I generally use their "redefining" blade, which works well.

White Gardens
03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I own and use a brown bededger and its worth mentioning that there are multiple blade available-I generally use their "redefining" blade, which works well.

The problem I had with the one I rented is that the wheels would drop into the existing trench.

I don't know if the blade had any difference in it or not.

1.2.3. green
03-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Hey guys,
looking for some opinions from some of you guys that have been doing this for more years than I. Looking for the easiest means to redefine mulch bed edges for the beds that dont need to be widened. I finished up a job for an in law where we had to cut sod for 30 plus trees. most had outgrew there original bed, so we had to use a sod cutter to widen them. Got me thinking... I never want to haul that much sod again!!! So what works best for you guys? Do the stick bed redefiners really work that well? Thanks for any input.
Can anybody tell me if they ever put Preen Under the mulch?

1.2.3. green
03-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Can anybody tell me if its good to put Preen "Under" the mulch?

Patriot Services
03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
I've used Preen on installs where I wouldn't be doing the weekly maint. Roundup as needed if I do the weekly service. As for edging I use my big echo with a new blade and set it deep. After the edge is defined an eow pass keeps it fresh. A monthly squirt of roundup in the bottom of the trench keeps even Zoysia from creeping into the beds. I bought a BG sodcutter last year and used the hell out of it. I have rented the EZT 400 before but cannot justify the cost and it is a bit of overkill in our soft, sandy soil. I could see it as a must in clay though.:usflag: