PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros and cons of having too many services under one name?

Lawncutting27
07-19-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm adding another service, I have a great name and slogan and was thinking of making it a separate company OR changing my current name from lawn care to Services.

Would you take a name such as Ernie's Lawn care, which might offer 5 different services or make a separate company called Ernie's Power Washing?

I do know a cleaning company that changed their name from X cleaning, to X services when they expanded from a maid franchise into lawn and fert and even reno's and roofing, they never missed a beat but still.

Frontier-Lawn
07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
with my plans the main part is Frontier Lawn & Landscape then for all other things i will and want to do when i get bigger to have the need for help and crews. The plan is to have different division trucks so that the lawn guys don't have to deal with tree trimming, and so forth

MarkintheGarden
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm adding another service, I have a great name and slogan and was thinking of making it a separate company OR changing my current name from lawn care to Services.

Would you take a name such as Ernie's Lawn care, which might offer 5 different services or make a separate company called Ernie's Power Washing?

I do know a cleaning company that changed their name from X cleaning, to X services when they expanded from a maid franchise into lawn and fert and even reno's and roofing, they never missed a beat but still.

I would not suggest that you take on the new name unless you are heading in a totally different direction. If you are just adding services, just make sure people know by telling them and putting it on your cards, fliers, invoices, website, etc.

Ernie's services sounds too generic. If you get to where you are doing lots of different things you can evolve into Ernie's Outdoor Services.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Why go through all the trouble to start another compny or change the name. I would leave it and just advertize for what ever is related for lawn care and power washing. I would see changing if you did lawn care and painting or construction.

Big C
07-20-2010, 06:50 AM
This very issue crossed my mind when I was in the process of coming up with a company name thats why I went with Clark Unlimited instead of Clark's Lawn & Landscape or something like that....I kinda thought about future services as well as what services I offered at the moment.

bohiaa
07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
MAny people do this to protect the parrent company.

I myself have done this. if you add another service to the parrent Co. you are taking a risk that it will make it.

It's better to start another co. and keep them seperate