PDA

View Full Version : Using seed mix that is 2 years old

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Guys,

Picked up a nice KBG/fescue/rye mix a few seasons back to renovate some lawns. I still have a 10 lb bag of seed mix left from that time. I have kept in my garage off the floor and out of moisture (except humidity in the summers). Would this mix still be good to use to overseed? Or should I plan to mix in lightly with a new bag to use it up?

DA

44DCNF
07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Test sprout a small sample on a tray of soil to see what kind of gernimation rate you get. Base your application rate on the results.

ICT Bill
07-19-2010, 11:02 AM
sometimes old seed germinates better, good suggestion to trial it first

Turboguy
07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
I had some seed stored here for 5 years and used it up on an area here that needed seeding and it came in fine. Testing is a good suggestion but my guess is that it will be fine.

RigglePLC
07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
I used some Scotts "High Traffic" a ryegrass bluegrass mixture that was 18 months old. I planted a sample inside in a coffee mug. A few of the rye seedlings were up a half-inch tall in 72 hours. You should be ok. Perhaps a few percent loss of viability.

ArTurf
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I work with the local golf super and this year a spot was planted with year old seed which never germinated. It was reseeded with new seed and it came right up. I guess every situation is different but if it a place where it matters if it is successful I would not take the chance on old seed. Isn't the price of new seed worth the time, effort and hassle if the old fails?