PDA

View Full Version : Ok how many of you cut in the rain?

NarNar
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I see a few labor guys out there cutting in the rain.

Do you guys cut in the rain? Why and Why not?

Share your story/reason. :usflag:

pbjunkie92
07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I try not to. For various reasons:

-Shotty quality of cut
-Messy
-Clumping
-Subjects equipment to elements
-Mower leaves noticeable "footprint" on soft ground
-Oh...and I dont like to be wet :laugh:

I am lucky to have this flexibility. Other companies that are packed full to the brim have no choice. As always time is money. However for me rainy days are maintenance days.

MileHigh
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
We cut in mist or very light rain...and finish up in the pouring rain if need be.

But if it's been raining hard all night or all morning...no thanks.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I try not to. For various reasons:

-Shotty quality of cut
-Messy
-Clumping
-Subjects equipment to elements
-Oh...and I dont like to be wet :laugh:

I am lucky to have this flexibility. Other companies that are packed full to the brim have no choice. As always time is money. However for me rainy days are maintenance days.

Exactly!!!!!

360ci
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't mind cutting in light rain, but heavy rain - NO THX

dgw
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
depends on temp and ground conditions

ive worked on 95 degree days with pouring rain and ground was still hard

pbjunkie92
07-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh and I forgot the most important detail!!!

The wet grass substantially increases health and safety risks!!! Slipping down hills, colds, pneumonia, even driving conditions between jobs. Everyone and there employees have friends and loved ones to go home to.

360ci
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh and I forgot the most important detail!!!

The wet grass substantially increases health and safety risks!!! Slipping down hills, colds, pneumonia, even driving conditions between jobs. Everyone and there employees have friends and loved ones to go home to.

I don't. My wife's leaving because she thinks it's OK to bring bar people home when I'm at work. But I feel great now!

NarNar
07-20-2010, 12:49 AM

This guy was on a ZTR, I saw the tracks, and said, "not to bright." One of the neighbor said the same guy was knocking on doors offering $20 cuts once a month and $15 for once a week. Mind you, the turf in my area is not large.

NarNar
07-20-2010, 12:51 AM
I don't. My wife's leaving because she thinks it's OK to bring bar people home when I'm at work. But I feel great now!

If you were close, I would buy a few rounds of beers.

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 02:32 AM
I mow in light rain, and finish something I started in a downpour. But I wont mow after it's been raining all night that will tear stuff up. Besides I try to get home asap when it starts to rain to cover my equipment up with the tarp.

jvanvliet
07-20-2010, 06:07 AM
As long as it's not tearing up the turf, lightning real close or old testament style flood conditions; we cut till we drop.

Florida Gardener
07-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Yea, you gotta watch out for those old testament style floods, they can be killers.

lakesregionscapes
07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Only mow in the rain if we're running out of dry days to make it up: wet mowing makes for bad cutting and red thread flareups (customers always love a pink lawn... http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/nono.gif ) and cranky employees. If we have to mow, we try to stick to the thin "low maintenance" lawns, and leave the plush ones for drier days.

NarNar
07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
old testament style flood conditions

That is very funny! Ha ahh:usflag:

NarNar
07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Yea, you gotta watch out for those old testament style floods, they can be killers.

Better find your "mosses staff".

93Chevy
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
We cut in mist or very light rain...and finish up in the pouring rain if need be.

Yeah, I agree. I usually do the same.

shooterm
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Currently I've averaged one rain day a week for my normal fulltime job. I wouldn't mow in a downpour but feel I dont have to much problems with it. I need a bigger blower. Smaller one doesn't pick up the clipping on the cement when wet. Also I like mulching more and more because I dont get a windrow and if I slow it down abit dont get clumps. If this was my fulltime job or I knew I had extra tim to get to a lawn I wouldnt.

BCLawns
07-25-2010, 09:38 AM
light rain yes. heavy rain or thunder, no.

shepoutside
07-25-2010, 09:48 AM

i'm the same here

STIHL GUY
07-26-2010, 12:23 AM
i only mow in the rain if i already started the lawn and its almost done/not raining toohard

lawnlandscape
07-26-2010, 12:24 AM
I would NEVER cut in the rain for the sole reason that it looks terribly unprofessional.

Not the mention the clumps, abuse to equipment, grass getting stuck under deck, and I just would not want to get wet.

93Chevy
07-26-2010, 07:46 AM
If you cut right, you won't get clumps.

TennisBum
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
What's rain?

lawnlandscape
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Very bold comment for a 22 year old with a part time lawn service that consists of an old unmarked truck, and no ZTR. :rolleyes:

My friend, there will always be times of year (if your cutting on a weekly basis), that you get some clumps. Either because the lawn is growing to fast at some times of the year, or because of the mowing conditions.

Unless your going to double or triple mow some spots, some level of clump-age is acceptable.

Getting back to the subject of this thread: If you mow in the rain you will get 3X the clumps that you would have otherwise. Fact. Thumbs Up

NarNar
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
What's rain?

Heavy precipitation in the atmosphere pulled by down to earth by gravity. :)

Or as one of my friends put it, "Man, Gods pissing on us again today, someone must of pissed 'em off".

NarNar
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Very bold comment for a 22 year old with a part time lawn service that consists of an old unmarked truck, and no ZTR. :rolleyes:

My friend, there will always be times of year (if your cutting on a weekly basis), that you get some clumps. Either because the lawn is growing to fast at some times of the year, or because of the mowing conditions.

Unless your going to double or triple mow some spots, some level of clump-age is acceptable.

Getting back to the subject of this thread: If you mow in the rain you will get 3X the clumps that you would have otherwise. Fact. Thumbs Up

I agree, these are wise words.

bradseabridge
07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I think damp grass stripes better.

lawnlandscape
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I think damp grass stripes better.

I would agree with that.

93Chevy
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Fair enough, but if it's wet or extra tall and I'm blowing clumps, I put a bag on. Then, magically, no clumps. Or I'll double cut and on the second cut, I'll put a bag on.

I urge you to talk to my customers, follow me around for a day, and notice the level of care I give to my clients.

I'm not perfect and my lack of experience prevents me from giving my customers the BEST service, but I try my hardest to provide them with the best I can do.

Better yet, let me on one of your lawn crews for a day or a week and then you can criticize me. :waving:

cgaengineer
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Bold indeed, wanna step onto one of my thick bermuda lawns with a mower in the early morning after a rain and tell me that?

93Chevy
07-26-2010, 02:36 PM

And by cutting right I mean putting a catcher on, or the bagging system on a Z. *trucewhiteflag*

NarNar
07-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Fair enough, but if it's wet or extra tall and I'm blowing clumps, I put a bag on. Then, magically, no clumps. Or I'll double cut and on the second cut, I'll put a bag on.

I urge you to talk to my customers, follow me around for a day, and notice the level of care I give to my clients.

I'm not perfect and my lack of experience prevents me from giving my customers the BEST service, but I try my hardest to provide them with the best I can do.

Better yet, let me on one of your lawn crews for a day or a week and then you can criticize me. :waving:

Nice pictures:usflag:

lawnlandscape
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM

I'm not really criticizing you. Just ... correcting you.

My company runs all Grasshoppper ztr mowers. So its not really just 'putting on a bag', because the bags need to be put on, the blower moter, and the tube. It takes about 30 min to install onto the mower and about 30 more min to remove.

I also never said anything about your lack of care. I'm sure you are very good with your customers. But I am 99.9% sure you will not get me talking with your customers, or following you around for a day. lol

93Chevy
07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not really criticizing you. Just ... correcting you.

My company runs all Grasshoppper ztr mowers. So its not really just 'putting on a bag', because the bags need to be put on, the blower moter, and the tube. It takes about 30 min to install onto the mower and about 30 more min to remove.

I also never said anything about your lack of care. I'm sure you are very good with your customers. But I am 99.9% sure you will not get me talking with your customers, or following you around for a day. lol

Sorry if I sounded defensive before, but I get antsy when I think somebody has underestimated me based on my age and experience or lack thereof.

Sorry I assumed you had a setup that's conducive to bagging. I shouldn't have just assumed that. :waving:

Rain for me means more work because it SUCKS bagging with a walk behind, but I still don't leave clumps. :)

phlipsyde74
07-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I don't mow in the rain. I am fortunate to have an 16ft enclosed trailer for my equipment. In Louisiana sometimes it rains for 5 minutes and sometimes for 5 days. If it starts to drizzle I just pull into the trailer and "wait" it out. If it rains too long, I go home. This week has been "old testament" rains, so no cutting. Luckily I have been in a HAZWOPER certification class so I can help with the Gulf clean up.

lawnlandscape
07-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I don't mow in the rain. I am fortunate to have an 16ft enclosed trailer for my equipment. In Louisiana sometimes it rains for 5 minutes and sometimes for 5 days. If it starts to drizzle I just pull into the trailer and "wait" it out. If it rains too long, I go home. This week has been "old testament" rains, so no cutting. Luckily I have been in a HAZWOPER certification class so I can help with the Gulf clean up.

I envy enclosed trailers for that very reason.

Northeast Mower
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Mowing in the rain isn't a huge deal, once you get the hang of it you learn some tricks....

I worked for this one company for four seasons, being in the northeast we usually got heavy rains in the spring and had to cut inthe rain in order to keep up with the accounts.

If you feel your deck starting to clump, take your mower over to the edge of the property, near the woods or by your trailer, and tap your deck out a few times... if you have the time give it a quick scrape.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

lawnlandscape
08-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Mowing in the rain isn't a huge deal, once you get the hang of it you learn some tricks....

I worked for this one company for four seasons, being in the northeast we usually got heavy rains in the spring and had to cut inthe rain in order to keep up with the accounts.

If you feel your deck starting to clump, take your mower over to the edge of the property, near the woods or by your trailer, and tap your deck out a few times... if you have the time give it a quick scrape.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ya, pick up your ztr and tap it out. Nice...

Cajun Cleanin'
08-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Ok..........Thats a little awkward.