PDA

View Full Version : shrub program

anthony
07-28-2002, 11:25 PM
for those who do or know about applications to landscape shrubs.

how many applications are done per season?

how is it charged (turf is by the sf)

is there profit in it?

there is a retired extension agent that works for my friend's landscape firm that is showing and interest in doing applications for my company,i may look into it.

ant
07-29-2002, 02:03 PM
got some bad news today....
he does not wont to applicate just consult...and unable to establish a program for me...he feels that tree and shrub applicators for the most part are a rip off....
ant:cry:

tremor
07-29-2002, 05:37 PM
Ant,

That's amazing. Tree Co.'s represent the largest growing segment of my business. LESCO has me stay tight with the Tree & Shrub applicators because I've been a CT licensed Arborist since 1988 & we're a close knit group around here.

Most LCO's offer Tree & Shrub around here. It's a logical extension of a business since you add revenue/services without the expense of having to take on more customers.

I wouldn't be comfortable putting prices up here. I can get this info if you'd like. Send me a private email though.

A very generic program:

1.) Late March/Early April: Hort Oil @ 2%
Merit injections at the discretion of the owner/manager as early as possible.

2.) Early May: Insect & Disease
example: Astro & Eagle

3.) Late May: Talstar & Manhandle (talstar better on mites)

4.) Late June: Scouting for &/or treating for Mites w/
Floramite, Avid, Hexagon, or what have you.

5.) Oct-Ground freeze: Merit &/or Fertilizer soil injections

6.) Late Nov: Anti-Dessicant &/or Deer Repellant sprays.

Rarely does any property need all these sprays as "full covers". IPM involves careful scouting & spraying only as needed. Summer visits are charged at a set rate regardless of the need for small scale treatment (up to so many gallons). Large scale cover sprays for such things as Gypsy Moth would incur a full service charge instead of the standard IPM fee.

There are many local pests that require deviation or modification of this program. Examples include but are not limited to; Bronze Birch & other Flat Head Borers, Leaf Miners, Peach Tree Borers, Apple Scab, Cedar Apple Rust, Lace Bugs on Andromedae, Eastern Tent & Gypsy Moth Catepillars & the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid.

I'm sure there are other economically significant pests that at least some of the guys I deal with are used to treating for. Not everyone wants to expend the effort to scout like this. Better IPM programs should be scouted every 2-3 weeks at minimum. Instead they sell T&S programs with the understanding that not all potential pests will be entirely controlled. Dutch Elm Disease comes to mind. Sycamore Anthracnose does too. Sometime I even here about stuff like Black Spot on Roses or Powdery Mildew on Lilac, but most of these issue are dealt with by the landscaper (if licensed) instead. Estate care often involves a qualified "house man" that deals with the smaller plants. The "house boy" then contracts a Tree Co for the bigger stuff. I enjoy these opportunities either way.

Manhattan's rooftop penthouse gardens are really fun, but that's another thread.

New Yorks "neighbor notification law" has resulted in a short list of "exempt chemicals" that I have crafted into a fairly nice program that some folks are using with great success. Even outside the affected counties. I can forward it to you on email if you'd like. It's in Excel.

Having the right staff is critical to large scale success unless you sell the program with a very realistic expectation based on scouting limitations.

Steve

anthony
07-31-2002, 11:01 PM
steve thanks for the reply,the same goes with the rest of you guys...thanks

steve my e-mail address is cgmlawns@yahoo.com

anthony

southscape
02-24-2004, 08:04 AM
This seems like a good program to me. Basically what the Lesco reps told me last week when I was talking with them.

I am looking to educate myself further about this, though and am looking for any insight. I sent you a pm a couple weeks ago Steve. Any way you can forward more info. to me?

Thanks.

Sean Stanley
southscape@carolina.rr.com

philk17088
02-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Keep in mind lesco is selling products, scout around thru diferent distributors. P found some materials for t/s spraying much cheaper elsewhere.

Mike@Haines
03-07-2004, 11:42 PM
90% of our business is in tree sprays. We use IPM and target specific problems with specific trees for the most part, but we do a few "cover sprays" as well. Mostly for customers who've had them before we implemented IPM. It's a good way to make money if you know what you're doing, but that's the thing. You'll need to be able to identify so many plants, insects and diseases, not to mention girdling, planting too deep, etc. Unless you've got someone who knows that stuff, you'll want to stick to fertilizing them only. Keeps you from making costly mistakes.

tremor
03-08-2004, 06:46 AM
I never expected to still be getting emails about this 2 1/2 years after posting a response. For the record, I don't receive email notification on forum message boards & I absolutely never check them any nore due to time restraints. This particular thread has been the exception. I still get emails from this one?

Private emails are welcome as time allows.

sls247@lesco.com

Phil, I am the account rep for the largest Residential Tree/Plant Health Care co. in the country & we are their largest supplier. So while Lesco isn't likely to be the cheapest in all situations, we are doing something right. Talk with your salesperson. If they say they're powerless, they're either wrong or there is an underlying issue.

Timing is everything in Tree & Shrub treatments. Any program I can post here would be very general in nature. Times are subject to change somewhat every year. Times change within the same town especially those along the coast. So start dates would best be determined locally with help from qualified local extension or edu folks.

I agree with Mike@Haines 100%. Having the right set of eyes is everything. Either get well educated yourself or hire someone who is already up to speed & has a good local reputation to get things started & keep them going. Somehow the Company with the most expensive applicators/sales force is usually the one making the most money......hmmmm

It is interesting to note that the applicators who do the best work are often the ones who purchase the fewest chemicals relative to the size of the acreage they treat. They might make one blanket oil spray (except the blues) starting this or next week. Then the rest of the year is all IPM & specialty services based on specific plant, client & site needs.

ant
03-09-2004, 06:02 AM
steve: see what i started...LOL

thanks steve for helping out on this forum.
anthony

Tscape
03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
I have a very handy trailered spray unit for sale in the equip. forum. It has tree and shrub written all over it! Make an offer.