PDA

View Full Version : My 2002 Dodge Cummins

Mike Blevins
07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Last week I got the chance to buy a 2002 Dodge 2500 Extended cab 4x4 diesel. It belonged to a friend and co-worker of mine who was killed by a drunk driver on the local interstate. It is in immaculant condition with alot of aftermarket fuel and performance mods. Very fuel efficient and powerful.

ZTR_Diesel
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice, but sorry to hear about your co-worker!

If it does not already have one, install a fuel pressure gauge inline prior to the fuel filter, and monitor it. These VP-44 Injection pump engines are known for lift-pump failures. Once the lift pump fails, it's only a short time before the fuel-cooled VP-44 injection pump will run or of fuel, overheat, and fail. The part alone is $1200 for a new injection pump, so it's worth the cheap insurance of a good gauge and installing it.

This was not an issue on older (1994-1998) Ram/Cummins setup as the P7100 Inline-pump does not tend to fail as readily if a fuel starvation situation occurs.

Good luck with your truck.

Mike Blevins
07-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice, but sorry to hear about your co-worker!

If it does not already have one, install a fuel pressure gauge inline prior to the fuel filter, and monitor it. These VP-44 Injection pump engines are known for lift-pump failures. Once the lift pump fails, it's only a short time before the fuel-cooled VP-44 injection pump will run or of fuel, overheat, and fail. The part alone is $1200 for a new injection pump, so it's worth the cheap insurance of a good gauge and installing it.

This was not an issue on older (1994-1998) Ram/Cummins setup as the P7100 Inline-pump does not tend to fail as readily if a fuel starvation situation occurs.

Good luck with your truck.
It has a fuel pressure gauge along with exhaust temp and turbo gauges. This is what else has been added for extra insurance.

ZTR_Diesel
07-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Excellent! Good idea on that. Not sure what that back-up system is, but it ought to do the trick.

THEGOLDPRO
07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
how much did you pay? and how many miles on it?

Mike Blevins
07-21-2010, 04:49 PM

It has 78000 one owner miles. This truck has been garage kept it whole life. My friend that owned it was very anal about it.I have every reciept for every oil change or part that has been bought and placed on the truck. We used to put a little bit of oil underneath it at the fire station and he would flip out. As far as price lets just say I got a great deal. It has the whole Banks system on it and the Banks Exhaust brake system also. I have been offered $3500 more than I paid for it by a co-worker of mine. I pull a camper so I can't wait to pull with it next week. My mowing trailer doesn't even squat it or feel likes its back there. I'm very impressed with the trucks power and torque.

Mike Blevins
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM

It has 78000 one owner miles. This truck has been garage kept it whole life. My friend that owned it was very anal about it.I have every reciept for every oil change or part that has been bought and placed on the truck. We used to put a little bit of oil underneath it at the fire station and he would flip out. As far as price lets just say I got a great deal. It has the whole Banks system on it and the Banks Exhaust brake system also. I have been offered $3500 more than I paid for it by a co-worker of mine. I pull a camper so I can't wait to pull with it next week. My mowing trailer doesn't even squat it or feel likes its back there. I'm very impressed with the trucks power and torque.

THEGOLDPRO
07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
ok so how much did you pay???? whats the point of dodging the question. your idea of a great deal and my idea of a great deal are more then likely completly diffrent.

rcslawncare
07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Looks like a great truck, should last forever the way it looks taken care of!!

South Florida Lawns
07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
ok so how much did you pay???? whats the point of dodging the question. your idea of a great deal and my idea of a great deal are more then likely completly diffrent.

Lol thats what I was thinking. Nice truck though.

Mike Blevins
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Lol thats what I was thinking. Nice truck though.
Not avoiding the question at all. I don't think its anyones business what I paid for it. But i will say it was around kbb wholesale. Not to mention the truck has alot of centimental value also. :waving:

93Chevy
07-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Nice truck for a shortbed. I'd love a truck like that for a personal vehicle, but I couldn't use a shortbed for a work truck. Good luck with the truck, it should last you a long time.

THEGOLDPRO
07-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Not avoiding the question at all. I don't think its anyones business what I paid for it. But i will say it was around kbb wholesale. Not to mention the truck has alot of centimental value also. :waving:

sure sounds like your avoiding the question, you cant expect people to not ask about the price when you brag about getting an amazing deal when you bought it. to me it sounds like you didnt really get a great deal and are trying to make it sound like a better sale because the trucks modded. but whatever.

pbjunkie92
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Maybe he just doesnt want to share. Back in the day my friend was killed in a MVA and I was given alot of stuff for free from his parents. I never really liked to talk about it though. Kinda felt guilty. Like I was ripping someone off. IDK maybe it was just me. Kind of a wierd feeling though.

POPO4995
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Awesome truck. Good luck with it

Yater
09-22-2010, 01:22 PM
sure sounds like your avoiding the question, you cant expect people to not ask about the price when you brag about getting an amazing deal when you bought it. to me it sounds like you didnt really get a great deal and are trying to make it sound like a better sale because the trucks modded. but whatever.

Stay classy!

Lawn Enforcer
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend...

I have a buddy with the same truck, very nice unit!

J&R Landscaping
09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Nice truck! Best of luck with it! With only 78,000 on the clock its got plenty of life left in it!

pitrack
09-30-2010, 11:49 AM

Is it really that big of a deal?

Maybe he just doesnt want to share. Back in the day my friend was killed in a MVA and I was given alot of stuff for free from his parents. I never really liked to talk about it though. Kinda felt guilty. Like I was ripping someone off. IDK maybe it was just me. Kind of a wierd feeling though.

I can see where you're coming from. Never been in that position but I can imagine what it would be like.

Sorry to hear about your friend, truck looks really nice. Last year of that body style, I love them!

Mike Blevins
09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. It has been an awsome truck so far. i have pulled my camper with it 3 time to Pigeon Forge Tenn and it has performed flawlessly. Every time i take it camping i have someone come over and look at it. There are alot of diesel trucks in the campgrounds. I always detail it up before we go. I also have alot of younger mid 20s guys wanting to look at it. The pics don't do it justice. Very powerful truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I sold my 02' Ram back in December. It had $30,000 worth of work done to it. It's fun to have a truck that screams. I had a few dyno run and it made about 600+ HP and 1300 ft lbs when I sold it.

That picture is of an aftermarket lift pump. With the VP44's it's not that the fuel cools the pump but that it lubricates the pump. When the lift pump go's out your VP tries to pull fuel through the lift pump all the way from the tank. As a result the incoming fuel is aerated. The air doesn't lubricate the pump and you end up with a metal on metal scenario with moving parts. Not good. When this happens you'll get the dreaded code 216.

Make sure you run a diesel fuel additive in your truck. The sulfur now missing in the ULSDl now helped lubricate the fueling system. The fuel additive will help put lubricity back into the fueling system. If you join Cummins Forum or Turbo Diesel Registry you can get a bunch of useful info and get any question you may have answered as well.