PDA

View Full Version : Trim in the ring or not?

Lefet
07-20-2010, 08:53 PM
There is an ongoing discussion here as to trim inside a tree ring or flower beds, or not. What do you think? If you're just doing a cut, trim and blow, would you want to trim inside a tree ring for errant weeds? I feel if the customer wanted us to weed ( for an extra charge) we would be glad to do it. Then, later when we see errant weeds inside the ring, no problem.
But if not, and now that the weeds are the predominate thing growing, should we trim or not?

Lefet
07-20-2010, 08:54 PM
There is an ongoing discussion here as to trim inside a tree ring or flower beds, or not. What do you think? If you're just doing a cut, trim and blow, would you want to trim inside a tree ring for errant weeds? I feel if the customer wanted us to weed ( for an extra charge) we would be glad to do it. Then, later when we see errant weeds inside the ring, no problem.
But if not, and now that the weeds are the predominate thing growing, should we trim or not?

For no extra charge.

shovelracer
07-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I have a very simple rule. We edge not trim the beds. Anything that is on the inside of that edging line is not on the lawn, therefore is considered a weed and falls under the bed maintenance portion of our contract. This is extra. No one has had a problem with this. People know when they are trying to take advantage, and believe me there are people out there that would let you trim their beds every week for free if you let them.

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 09:09 PM
same here, I edge the ring for stray grass but NEVER go inside the mulch ring that's extra. None of my clients have a problem with this.

Lefet
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
I thank you and agree. The only exception I see here would be when there is no clear definition of lawn and cosmetic. Specifically, when the lawn grows right up to the tree. No ring, no stone, no mulch, no nothing. You just can't get the mower that close.. THAT I would trim. Anything intended to be seperate from the lawn and decorative, no.

93Chevy
07-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Unless it's a premium client and I weed beds every other week, or whatever, I don't weed or trim down weeds for free.

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I second that, I hate pulling weeds. I charge a premium for weed pulling too.

Lefet
07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
What is your general weeding maintenance charges?

Raymond S.
07-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I have a customer that wants me to knock the tall grasses out of her pacasandra every week. We had almost a knock down drag out over this the 2nd week, along with some other issues. I said, "Anything above mowing/trimming was extra." The last guy didn't do it this way, etc. same old story. The biitch is she also has a very lucrative commercial contract that I want to keep badly, so I more or less kiss her arse and knock down the grass in the pacasandra weekly. I also pull weeds when I see them to the tune of about $50/hr and tack it on her commercial bill that only the accounts payable dept. sees. So I smile, nod, and charge her out the wazoo...

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
I charge $15 to trim a normal sized yard, up to a half acre. More if there is a bunch of **** in the yard by the way of beds and trees and other bull.

Lefet
07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a customer that wants me to knock the tall grasses out of her pacasandra every week. We had almost a knock down drag out over this the 2nd week, along with some other issues. I said, "Anything above mowing/trimming was extra." The last guy didn't do it this way, etc. same old story. The biitch is she also has a very lucrative commercial contract that I want to keep badly, so I more or less kiss her arse and knock down the grass in the pacasandra weekly. I also pull weeds when I see them to the tune of about $50/hr and tack it on her commercial bill that only the accounts payable dept. sees. So I smile, nod, and charge her out the wazoo...

I absolutely HATE weeding. Would $50.00 an hour be reasonable after an initial substantial clean up/out?

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
for pulling weeds? **** I charged 150$ to weed a half acre yard last week with beds all around the house and a big bed in the front and a big one the whole way across the back yard.

Lefet
07-20-2010, 10:03 PM
And was that the initial weeding for the season or was that part of your maintenance program?

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 10:05 PM
oh now I understand what you are saying, that was initial. I charge $20-50 a month to keep up on the beds depending on how many there are and how big, sometimes I charge more than that. Most of my clients are in the $20 range if they want it at all. The only people that usually want it live in the old folks community and their yards a small as **** and they usually keep their beds weed free anyway so I don't usually have to do anything.

Florida Gardener
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
How about doing your client and yourself a service by spraying a pre-emergent in tree rings and bed areas. One app will last at least 4 months if using Sureguard. If you have to hand pull due to plants being too close, that's another story. Hand pulling weeds from tree rings or non-full beds is a waste of time.

bradseabridge
07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
but it's more $

Lefet
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
oh now I understand what you are saying, that was initial. I charge $20-50 a month to keep up on the beds depending on how many there are and how big, sometimes I charge more than that. Most of my clients are in the $20 range if they want it at all. The only people that usually want it live in the old folks community and their yards a small as **** and they usually keep their beds weed free anyway so I don't usually have to do anything.

Yes, that's what I was saying and that sounds fair.

Lefet
07-20-2010, 10:26 PM
How about doing your client and yourself a service by spraying a pre-emergent in tree rings and bed areas. One app will last at least 4 months if using Sureguard. If you have to hand pull due to plants being too close, that's another story. Hand pulling weeds from tree rings or non-full beds is a waste of time.

This certainly is an easier alternative, although costly. Most of our propertys are in the 10,000 sq ft range (in the FRONT) with 10-20 trees and multiple beds, INCLUDING the entire perimeter of the house.

Lefet
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
How much is Suregaurd?

Florida Gardener
07-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes, it is somewhat pricey up front for you and the customer, but if it only has to be applied 2x/year, you will be saving them a lot of $$ and have less weeding to do. Down here, weed control is part of the price, so the less I have to spray, the more $$ i am making.

I paid $135 for a lb. which will cover 96 1/gal. backpacks. The residual is great as well so the more it is applied, the less weeds over time. I have been using for about 2 months and have had waayyy less weed control to do.

Stillwater
07-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Most of my accounts have extreem landscapeing they pay for full service and they get it without fail

unkownfl
07-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Yes, it is somewhat pricey up front for you and the customer, but if it only has to be applied 2x/year, you will be saving them a lot of $$ and have less weeding to do. Down here, weed control is part of the price, so the less I have to spray, the more $$ i am making.

I paid $135 for a lb. which will cover 96 1/gal. backpacks. The residual is great as well so the more it is applied, the less weeds over time. I have been using for about 2 months and have had waayyy less weed control to do.

I logged into my Lesco account it said the sureguard was $311.95 a lb. Ouch

Stillwater
07-21-2010, 03:23 AM
I logged into my Lesco account it said the sureguard was $311.95 a lb. Ouch

go back and recheck lesco thats way high... sure it wasen't for 5 pounds? or mabey it's your location

Lefet
07-21-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks!! Appreciate the info!