PDA

View Full Version : Fall cleanup with a 21?

unkownfl
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Would it be possible to do a clean up with a 21? I mean I know it would take ten times longer but a lot of my yard couldn't handle a big machine with a bagger with them only being 80x100 lots with 3000 sqft homes. Mostly oaks and its next to impossible to blow the leaves even with my br600 and bt125 working together.

ShooterK2
07-21-2010, 12:15 AM
If it'll put grass in the bag, it should put leaves in the bag.

lawnboy dan
07-21-2010, 08:10 AM
snapper 21 hi vac with gator blade is the only tool you need

Jimslawncareservice
07-21-2010, 08:30 AM
if it were me, i would mulch the leaves first then put you bagger on. otherwise you would go about 2ft and have to empty the bag. not sure how leaves you are talking about. i do this with z's 1 mulch 1 bag. cut way down on debris size.

K-OS
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
The best mulching 21" is by far the Honda. I have never seen something mulch leaves so well, the dual blades really do work well.

Heintooga
07-21-2010, 08:34 PM
I've been using a Snapper mulcher for cleanups and it does great. Rarely is bagging necessary. I also have Honda and eXmark commercial 21's and they're more expensive than Snapper but no better at cleanups.

unkownfl
07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I can mulch everything up but I don't like the looks of it because there is a lot of leaves when the live oaks drop. Plus I would have to adjust the soil if I mulch.

yardguy28
07-21-2010, 08:48 PM
i agree with mulching first then bagging. this is how i do all but the properties i have to use the 21 incher on. those few don't have to many trees or leaves i can mow them up with the bagger in a single pass.

i don't how the guys that strictly mulch the leaves get away with it. my clients wouldn't stand for the look it leaves. while the leaves are gone, you can still see all the mulched up pieces all over the lawn. my clients want there turf looking just as clean as it does in the spring and summer.

i throw the catcher on and just start mowing. let the bag fill up and keep going mulching up things. then make a second pass and i'm done.

clean_cut
07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Would it be possible to do a clean up with a 21? I mean I know it would take ten times longer but a lot of my yard couldn't handle a big machine with a bagger with them only being 80x100 lots with 3000 sqft homes. Mostly oaks and its next to impossible to blow the leaves even with my br600 and bt125 working together.

Yeah, I would mulch and then bag if I were you, maybe it's just my OLD Toro, but it picks up some of the leaves, but it doesn't remove them all, especially the smaller leaves. And the bag fills up pretty quick

Why don't the blowers work? Too many leaves, or are the lots too small? It might work to blow the bulk of the leaves to the curb and then either mulch or bag the rest.

How about a 36" with a bagger, would that be too big for the lots? If you have a lot of these small lots it might be worth the investment.

unkownfl
07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a Wright stander thats my 36 and I don't think it picks up the leaves very good to call it a clean up if you know what I mean. I used my br600 and my helper with the 150bt and it just doesn't do as good of a job as the old rake. The leaf size here is about 1 square inch max.

lawnboy dan
07-22-2010, 07:10 AM
FINALLY some one else has discovered the snapper hi vac for cleanups!

scott312
07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
The best mulching 21" is by far the Honda. I have never seen something mulch leaves so well, the dual blades really do work well.

You're right about that.

mowisme
07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
do even the 'vintage' snapper hi-vac's do well with leaves? Got one but never use..My LB's seem to suck up pretty good.

93Chevy
07-22-2010, 05:20 PM

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Do you mulch or bag? I bag with mine it bags a LOT better than my 48" WB. I get tiny leaves, twigs, and everything else sucked up in.

i don't how the guys that strictly mulch the leaves get away with it. my clients wouldn't stand for the look it leaves. while the leaves are gone, you can still see all the mulched up pieces all over the lawn. my clients want there turf looking just as clean as it does in the spring and summer.

i throw the catcher on and just start mowing. let the bag fill up and keep going mulching up things. then make a second pass and i'm done.

I agree, I can't leave mulched up leaves on my properties. Even if my clients don't say anything, I desire a nice clean look. I never tried letting the collector fill up first. I may try that this year. At a prior job, we used to discharge everything with the WB then suck up everything with the collector on the Z because it's so much easier collecting on a Z with a spindle collector than a freaking WB collector.

mowerbrad
07-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Would one of those debris vacs, like one of the billy goat's, work for you? It seems to me that a debris vac would work better than a 21" mower....It'd have a bigger bag and would most likely shred the leaves better.

AOD
07-22-2010, 06:39 PM
+1 on the Hi Vac. Mine is 27 yrs old and still works great. My 21" toro doesn't pick up that great either, not all bagging systems are created equally. Never tried the JS45 with a bag though. Here it's mostly silver and sugar maples, and a few red oaks.

yardguy28
07-22-2010, 08:51 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Do you mulch or bag? I bag with mine it bags a LOT better than my 48" WB. I get tiny leaves, twigs, and everything else sucked up in.

I agree, I can't leave mulched up leaves on my properties. Even if my clients don't say anything, I desire a nice clean look. I never tried letting the collector fill up first. I may try that this year. At a prior job, we used to discharge everything with the WB then suck up everything with the collector on the Z because it's so much easier collecting on a Z with a spindle collector than a freaking WB collector.

i discovered it at the end of last season. we had an unusual fall last season that overwhelmed me and a buddy gave me the tip.

before the end of last season i was bagging everything in one pass, stopping way to much emptying the bagger as i'm sure all have experiences. then i purchased a trac vac for the 52" walkbehind i was using at the time and that helped speed things along. i sold that mower and modified the trac vac for my 36" mower.

mostly though i put the catcher on the 52" and just start mowing. let it fill up. it will mulch the leaves once the catcher is full but not so fine that the mower can't pick them up. on the second pass everything gets picked up sometimes without stopping to empty the bagger even once.

my buddy does this with his sit down 60" ztr with 3 bagger unit.

93Chevy
07-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I'll definitely give that a try this year. Thanks for the advice. Seems a lot easier than emptying every pass live I've been doing. Maybe next year I can stop bagging with the walk behind and buy a Z with a bagger.

ACA L&L
07-22-2010, 11:13 PM

Well said, when i first started, thats all i needed, we would tarp all the leaves then run mower over lawns to clean it up and man does the snapper hi vac clean it up. over 12 years now and i still load that baby onto my trailer once the leaves start falling. we do however have walkers now which really do a bang up job but the snapper fits in the gates for the smaller cookie cutters......have funn!

Lawncutting27
07-23-2010, 04:11 AM
I can mulch everything up but I don't like the looks of it because there is a lot of leaves when the live oaks drop. Plus I would have to adjust the soil if I mulch.

Side discharge it to a bagging point. half of the leaves will disappear the other half will be reduced. When you say you have so many leaves you can't blow them with a br600 forget about bagging with a 21.

cgaengineer
07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
FINALLY some one else has discovered the snapper hi vac for cleanups!

Nah, we have had hi-vacs in this family for 30 years...tere is not a better machine for bagging...period.

I have a commercial Snapper 21 that I purchased a few years ago to replace 2 other Snappers (non commercial) which I use from time to time and I find a new found love for it after each use.

STIHL GUY
07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
a 21 will get the job done it may just take a while and youll be emptying the bag all the time