PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Canada Thistle...

garden.nanny
07-21-2010, 03:04 AM
I've read several older posts on how to begin the control of Canada Thistle and I just would like to know if what was posted will work in a particular situation I have with a customer. I know it will take many many months of continual attention on the re-emerging monster, C.T., but I want to give my customer some concrete answers.

My customer bought a brand new home that sat empty for 2 years due to a builder going bankrupt. It was cheaply landscaped with little plant coverage and C. Thistle took over all the beds. The day they closed the new owner cut down all the thistle with his weed eater to about 6 inches above the ground. I need to do something to start to get this problem under control for him.

My questions:
How effective will it be to use Round Up Pro on cut vegetation?
Can I use Lontrel on cut vegetation and if so would I be better in the long run to make the investment in buying the Lontrel or would RU be just as effective?
Will PreenPro be OK to use for a pre emergent on any seeds that were launched this year?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!!

Smallaxe
07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Roundup will work, but I wouldn't bother replanting until you see where it comes up again fom the roots. Once you get that stuff running under your plantings, you will work even harder to get rid of it, over many seasons.
I woud spend this season, killing the thistle and hope it is ready to go next sping.