PDA

View Full Version : tree problem

jay albers
07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
wondering if anyone knows whats up with this tree. Its been real try around here lately. looks to me like the tree is takin some water from the leafs. The cutomer said they may want it removed, I think it will be fine once the droughts over.

any thoughts?

Landscape Poet
07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Could be many things - would need to actual see the trunk, planting depth etc which can not be determined by photos.

I can tell you that if it is water related, that MOUND of mulch around the base is not helping things.

Smallaxe
07-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Definately, loose the tree vulcano. Maples are real sensitive to that.

Also, there seems to be stress related largely to the right hand side of the tree. Has there been some work around those roots, that could have been going on before or during the drought?

A tree that size shouldn't look like that because of dry weather. The drying leaves are normally, evenly distributed throughout the tree. At least in my experience. :)

jonny119x
07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Bugs i would imagine. prune it roll on. if you wanna fix it, they live nearby. Try that mulch pile

White Gardens
07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
This is my first guess as soon as I seen the pic.

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/hot08/8-7.html

Think Green
07-21-2010, 09:25 PM
This is my first guess as soon as I seen the pic.

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/hot08/8-7.html

Good call Gardens...........From the pic of drought stressed grass in the background, it would seem evident of Verticillium Wilt or Bacterial issues. A twig graft slice would tell all.

White Gardens
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Good call Gardens...........From the pic of drought stressed grass in the background, it would seem evident of Verticillium Wilt or Bacterial issues. A twig graft slice would tell all.

I can't really say for sure without doing a thorough inspection of the tree. Just looks like the symptoms of Vert Wilt.

If it were me I'd call the local extension office. At least around here Verticillium wilt isn't rampant, so when it shows up the extension office likes to know about it.

One reason I believe it's a disease or infection is that the tree isn't showing an over-all tree decline. It's sporadic in the pics.

Think Green
07-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Gardens,
I see this type of possible infection during our periods of drought, especially on the maples thus causing Maple wilt. The classic symptom of water vessel restriction from the infected phloem tissue.
This kind of inconsistent browning of the foliage and limb death. I will take twig cuttings that are at least a half to one inch in diameter and cut the bark away. If there is streaks in the wood or discoloration, I will take the cuttings to the extension office anyway. The problem with our extension services here is there is no real experts in this field.......let alone the forestry commission.
It has been my understanding that trees with this disease.......if this is what it is, to keep the tree in proper health........watering, feeding and pruning of the infected limbs and twigs. Death may be imminent over time. More and more infected limbs and branches will become more evident as the disease progresses.
The only other possible thing could be Anthracnose in the later stages!!!!!

jay albers
07-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks alot guys! when I get anwers like this it gives me faith again on this site!

Smallaxe
07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
If it is Vert. Wilt, this is good to know:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1164.html
"...The severity of disease development will depend on the strain of the pathogen, the level of susceptibility in the host, and environmental factors. Landscape trees with recent wilt symptoms should not be removed immediately. They may "recover" and perform fairly well with some environmental manipulation. In general, the most resistant plants are those grown in moderately fertile soil in which the balance of major nutrients is tipped slightly toward high potassium and low nitrogen. Generously watered plants are often invaded less extensively than those under moderate to severe water stress."

ICT Bill
07-22-2010, 11:04 AM
My guess is bacterial leaf scorch, it has moved from the middle of the country to the east coast in the last decade, it has taken out many oaks in my neighborhood and the mid atlantic

Rutgers is one of the main universities for the east coast on it, I saw a presentation 2 years ago. It has wiped out almost all of the oaks in KY in the last 15 years

Take it down, unfortunately there is not much chance of saving it