PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation interval for overseeding

JoJo1990
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
During spring or fall overseeding, I've been telling my customers to water 2-3 times per day for about 10-15 minutes or to keep the soil moist for the first 14 days until the seed becomes established.

I have been able to talk some of them into electronic timers and helped them setup an auto program with sprinklers so I know the watering is getting done. What is your favorite irrigation schedule? I've heard some set them for every 6 hours for 10-15 minutes. Anyone setup test plots to find an ideal interval?

Thanks

Smallaxe
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
There is no standard 'idea' for anything involving weather... Overseeding is different, than, naked seedbed seeding. Generally, once a day in mid-afternoon, is adequate to keep the seed moist, yet allow the extant blades to dry adequately before sundown. Provided, of course, you have heavy enough soil, good texture, proper perculation, aequate fertility, reasonable humidity and preferably some morning dew.
Otherwise the whole schedule goes to hell.

JoJo1990
07-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Correct. I should have mentioned I have them using rain gauges to monitor both the sprinklers and any rain that may fall. All the lawns are fertilized by me with proper NPK starter blends (yes, I'm licensed) Some over overseeded by machine and some are done with a drop spreader and scratched lawns from a metal rake for small renovations.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Smallaxe
07-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Your main concern is that your lawn doesn't go to bed, wet.

Inches water per week, varies as to soil texture, temps and direct sunlight, but just out of curiosity, what do your rain gauges tell you?

andyslawncare
08-01-2010, 07:46 PM
water enough to keep the soil moist for 30 days is what I tell my customers for seed or sod