PDA

View Full Version : Help with quote on irrigation

connor77
07-22-2010, 07:47 PM
If this thread should be moved please do so.

I'd like some help from professionals in terms of validating a quote I just received on irrigation installation. I have approx 3/4 of an acre that will be watered once the irrigation is installed.

Here are some details:

Hunter Pro C station controller
8 Hunter or Rainbird 1" zone valves
40 I-20 gear driven heads
1 faucet (spigot)
1 rain sensor

The install includes 1" 100 psi poly pipe, stainless steel clamps and inline tees

I'm in the northeast and the installer is about 30 minutes from my house.

Could anyone chime in with an approximate quote on this job? Thanks in advance...

AI Inc
07-23-2010, 06:13 AM
$3900-$4500 depending on degree of dificulty.

Think Green
07-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Is this going to do the trick on a 3/4 acre lot.??
I didn't see anyplace on there where you said---backflow preventer or relief valves for water drainage.!
Do you need such backflow prevention as a ordinance of your city, county,etc.??
Will you have enough pressure to run the system off of a house spigot??
Are you using a post faucet electric pump??

connor77
07-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Think Green - thanks for the feedback. I have a well for irrigation purposes only so I don't think I'll have any back pressure problems unless I'm mistaken.

I'll have a 3/4 hp pump right at the well so I should be all set there.

Fireguy97
07-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Think Green - thanks for the feedback. I have a well for irrigation purposes only so I don't think I'll have any back pressure problems unless I'm mistaken.

Not back pressure, backflow prevention.

A backflow prevention device will stop any polluted or contaminated water from going back into your well. And JIC you didn't know, irrigation water is considered to be contaminated if you have any gear drives or pop-up's on your system.

I would have charged more, but I also don't know the degree of dificulity

Mick

Kiril
07-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Backflow protection for irrigation "should" be a requirement in every state, regardless of what is installed. Now the type of backflow assembly required/allowed varies. Personally I wouldn't consider anything short of a PVB or RPZA for constant pressure application as they are health hazard rated.

Think Green
07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Scratching my head here............The Backflow device is coded here for sprinkler systems and as I don't install irrigation.......only repair them, it will cost an extra 175.00 to install one depending on the type.
I have seen dozens of irrigation systems installed around older homes that do not have a backflow devise. I won't even touch the system for repairs unless it is brought up to code.
Some have direct water manual valves that will operate a particular zone.
I guess the city hasn't caught these systems..........but a separate meter is required to run the water........?????? Some one is under the table buffing the code enforcement officer.?

connor77
07-26-2010, 06:06 AM
I'll make sure I spend the money on backflow prevention. I don't anything mentioned on the quote I received but I'll follow up with the installer. Thanks.

AI Inc
07-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Conner you do not need a backflow preventer on a shallow well ded icated to irrigation only. BTW where are you located . If in my area I would like to give you a price.

connor77
07-26-2010, 07:41 AM
AI - I'm on the south shore (Bridgewater). It would be a long ride for you I think so not sure if it would be worth it.

If my well is 220 feet deep is that considered a shallow well? That is the depth of my well obviously (220 ft).

Thanks...

Kiril
07-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Conner you do not need a backflow preventer on a shallow well ded icated to irrigation only. BTW where are you located . If in my area I would like to give you a price.

BS AI. There is such a thing as aquifer contamination you know. :hammerhead:

Fireguy97
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Exactly!

Mick

Stillwater
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
are you near the Vinyard I will price

AI Inc
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM

and its 10 times more likely to happen from groundwater under the influence of surface water then it is from an irrigation system.

But you already knew that.

AI Inc
07-26-2010, 01:28 PM
AI - I'm on the south shore (Bridgewater). It would be a long ride for you I think so not sure if it would be worth it.

If my well is 220 feet deep is that considered a shallow well? That is the depth of my well obviously (220 ft).

Thanks...

No, Out of my work area. Can give ya a few referals if ya need. No 220 is not shallow , 13-25 is.

Kiril
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
and its 10 times more likely to happen from groundwater under the influence of surface water then it is from an irrigation system.

But you already knew that.

Pffft ... the well is tapping an aquifer 220 feet deep. That is ~ 200 feet of soil to filter that surface water. The well offers direct access to the aquifer .... no soil filtering at all.

Spend the damn money on back flow protection ... we are only talking a couple hundred bucks.

AI Inc
07-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Well after I posted is when I read that is is 220 deep. Seeing that , now I must say I agree with ya. Didnt want to , but I do.

Kiril
07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Well after I posted is when I read that is is 220 deep. Seeing that , now I must say I agree with ya. Didnt want to , but I do.

You might argue that back flow protecting a shallow sand point is not worthwhile, but that all depends on what that particular aquifer serves. If people are pulling out of the same aquifer for potable purposes, then it needs back flow protection. IMO, there should be no exceptions, regardless of the water source, if for only covering your ass from liability.

AI Inc
07-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Lets face it Kirl, a shallow well has a much better chance of getting contaminated from dogshat then irrigation.

Kiril
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Dogshiit .... that is a stretch for ground water .... surface water I agree. Synthetic ferts and pesticides ... absolutely can pose a much bigger risk to shallow ground water than a potential back flow incident. That severity of that risk however depends much on the soil and vegetation. I still rather ere of the side of caution.

andyslawncare
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
New water meter for irrigation (optional) - $375
8 zones installed - $4,000 to $4800
Back flow installed and inspected - $200
Timer and rain sensor - $350

I'd charge in the range of $4925 and $5725