PDA

View Full Version : Help with an ugly lawn

Chris B.
07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I just purchased this his and the "lawn" if you can call it that is in terrible shape. It consist of mostly clover with crabgrass, nutsedge and plantain thrown in. I would like to have a nice lawn and wanted to know what my best bet would be? Im in Louisville ky and i'm on a budget with this so cost is an issue.

Thanks for any help in advance.

P.S. The stump is going to get ground out and a smaller tree will be put in the same spot.

JoJo1990
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Saying cost is a factor doesn't help out too much. You have some options, depending on your budget, and patience.

You could Glyphosate the whole yard and start over with new seed. I would also take some soil samples and send them in so you know what you need to amend for optimal seed germination. Because I like a challenge, if it were me, I'd hit the lawn with some Powerzone or a 3-way with some quicksilver for speedier response. You should be able to get 2 herbicide apps in before the temps cool and seeding can begin. Once the soil is amended and the weeds are knocked back or mostly controlled, you can do your overseeding or, better yet, power seed with a Turf Revitalizer or similar unit. Next season, when your budget resets, you can hit the lawn with a pre-emergent for the crrabgrass and you should be on your way to a much better looking lawn.

Chris B.
07-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Saying cost is a factor doesn't help out too much. You have some options, depending on your budget, and patience.

You could Glyphosate the whole yard and start over with new seed. I would also take some soil samples and send them in so you know what you need to amend for optimal seed germination. Because I like a challenge, if it were me, I'd hit the lawn with some Powerzone or a 3-way with some quicksilver for speedier response. You should be able to get 2 herbicide apps in before the temps cool and seeding can begin. Once the soil is amended and the weeds are knocked back or mostly controlled, you can do your overseeding or, better yet, power seed with a Turf Revitalizer or similar unit. Next season, when your budget resets, you can hit the lawn with a pre-emergent for the crrabgrass and you should be on your way to a much better looking lawn.

Thanks for the response, LOL I will be googling some of the things you mentioned as it might aswell be german to me. I mentioned a budget just to put it out there, more of a just so you know kinda thing.

Powerzone? Is that a fertilizer?

JoJo1990
07-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Ideally, to get the problem corrected, you should hire this out to a professional in your area. You wont find any of the products I listed at your local box store. Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Round-UP, which will kill the lawn and weeds at the same time.

JoJo1990
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
The problem with 'weed and feed' applications is they are often no applied correctly and therefore are less effective. Hose end sprayer formulations are not especially accurate in metering a correct dose to the lawn. Do you know your square footage? Get that first, then look for a product called Trimec weed killer concentrate at your hardware store. Get a 2, 3 or 4 gallon pump sprayer and mix the product per the label. You will need to do an application over the entire yard with the weed pressure you have.

For best results, I would hire it out. If you have time and patience, go for it! Read the label carefully and follow it to a T.

Think Green
07-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Chris,
If you follow the advice of using a 3-way material such as Trimec Plus or Weed-B-Gone concentrate, and you want to seed.........you will want to wait at least 30 days after any application to do any type of seeding at all. The 2-4D will not stay around but the Dicamba and the Mecaprop is soil active and will need to degrade naturally.
I agree with hiring this out to a pro in your area.........measuring your lawn to know the square footage is key. If you plan on sodding measure the square footage and divide the total by 9 to get the square yards of sod needed. You can call and get quotes for sod easier this way.
From the photo's you provided, and to my perspective the lawn was sadly neglected and offered a feast for weedy material to invade......take over. Whatever you plan to do......this material can be killed with Glyphosate and all dead grass matter can be removed, tilled under, sod cutter removed, harley raked out and offer a pallet for good sod or seed to grow.

Smallaxe
07-23-2010, 07:04 AM
If the lawn is sandy, clayey, or lumpy, or in need of some kind of grading, or serious ammendments added, as real topsoil or compost, tilling, maybe a smarter and cheaper option, in the long run.

bigslick7878
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I just purchased this his and the "lawn" if you can call it that is in terrible shape. It consist of mostly clover with crabgrass, nutsedge and plantain thrown in. I would like to have a nice lawn and wanted to know what my best bet would be? Im in Louisville ky and i'm on a budget with this so cost is an issue.

Thanks for any help in advance.

P.S. The stump is going to get ground out and a smaller tree will be put in the same spot.

Bag the idea of a new tree altogether, they are nothing but problems in the middle of a lawn.

Cheap way would be to get weed B gone, spray heavily now.

Give it about a month and you will see a huge difference.

Then when fall hits seed the hell out of it.

But we have no idea where you live, looks like a transition zone. I guess.

Chris B.
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Bag the idea of a new tree altogether, they are nothing but problems in the middle of a lawn.

Cheap way would be to get weed B gone, spray heavily now.

Give it about a month and you will see a huge difference.

Then when fall hits seed the hell out of it.

But we have no idea where you live, looks like a transition zone. I guess.

Thanks for the advice. Should I spray the whole yard with weed be gone and kill it all? then seed around september 1st?

No idea where I live? It says Louisville Kentucky in the OP.

Texas Lawn
07-23-2010, 04:57 PM
you just put in a really big flower bed

bigslick7878
07-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. Should I spray the whole yard with weed be gone and kill it all? then seed around september 1st?

No idea where I live? It says Louisville Kentucky in the OP.

Weed b gone will kill the weeds and leave the grass alone.

The lawn looks bad but not "just wipe it all out" bad. I would not kill it all.

Consider renting a power/slitseeder for the seed, and a power raking before all that will probably be needed.

When 2nd week of Sept hits ( I am guessing that is about the right time for your area). Mow it very low and bag it. Then hit it with a power rake. Then mow again and bag as the power rake will stand the grass up again.

Then either just spread the seed or use a slit seeder to put the seed in.

Water water and more water.

It will look a thousand times better by Oct 1 for about $200 if you do it yourself.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Don't waist your time with anything other than roundup. From the pictures there isn't anything worth keeping. Kill everhthing and you seed right after using roundup as well.

Since it is this late, wait until late Aug to spray everything and power seed early September.

It will look like a million buck in about 2-3 weeks.

Where are you located in KY?

David

Chris B.
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't waist your time with anything other than roundup. From the pictures there isn't anything worth keeping. Kill everhthing and you seed right after using roundup as well.

Since it is this late, wait until late Aug to spray everything and power seed early September.

It will look like a million buck in about 2-3 weeks.

Where are you located in KY?

David

Louisville, off dixie highway by the gene snyder.

LawnSolutionsCP
07-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Louisville, off dixie highway by the gene snyder.

Give me a call at the office late Aug. I show you what I'm talking about.

Of course, I want to use the before and after pics and some video for advertising / training materials.

Let me know.

David

JoJo1990
07-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Chris B, I wouldn't pass up David's offer. That's a no brainer! Keep us posted.